3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
lawschool89
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 pm

3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby lawschool89 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:13 am

Hey everyone! I'm sorry if this is one of those "you should just check LSN" posts but any input would be greatly appreciated.

With my numbers i'm not expecting anything in the T6 and am contemplating EDing to Georgetown. Although I would love to go to Columbia, NYU or Chicago, i've been told that I don't have much of a chance even with ED.

What do you think my chances at UPenn, Michigan, and Northwestern are? Georgetown would be my next choice and I figure it would be better to ED there if I didn't really have a shot at the others either.


Thanks, any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by lawschool89 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby law4vus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:19 am

You have a shot at some better schools. No need to bind yourself to GeorgeTTTown. ;)

Seriously though, don't ED. You'll most likely get in RD, so don't cheat yourself out of potential scholarship money.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:19 am

Don't do this. Don't ED lower than MVP. I expect you can get at least 1 (probably M/V) RD. GT will be an easy get RD.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby ahnhub » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:22 am

Don't ED. Georgetown seems to love any LSAT above 170 and a half-decent GPA. With a 171 you're in, IMO. LSN backs me up.

I think you have a decent shot at Michigan and Penn, and better than decent at NU. I'd think an ED to Michigan would give you a great shot there.

If you really really like CCN better than these other options, I don't think they're off the table with an ED, although chances aren't that great. But even if you "waste" your ED on one of these schools, I would think you'd get in to Georgetown RD, and probably a couple more T-14s (although perhaps more DCNG than MVP).

User avatar
lawschool89
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby lawschool89 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 am

oh okay wow I really didn't think I had a decent shot at other T14s, thanks! Honestly though your input is awesome. Now i'm thinking I might ED to Penn and just keep my fingers crossed for the others. Thanks again!!

User avatar
sach1282
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby sach1282 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:34 am

I have extremely similar stats to you and was already admitted to Georgetown RD (and I have multiple LSAT scores too).

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:42 am

lawschool89 wrote: Now i'm thinking I might ED to Penn


Yes

User avatar
sach1282
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby sach1282 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:33 pm

lawschool89 wrote:oh okay wow I really didn't think I had a decent shot at other T14s, thanks! Honestly though your input is awesome. Now i'm thinking I might ED to Penn and just keep my fingers crossed for the others. Thanks again!!


If you really want to go to Penn, ED would probably give you a really good shot with your numbers.

User avatar
BiglawOrBust
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby BiglawOrBust » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:02 pm

lawschool89 wrote:Non-URM, decent softs (various part-time jobs, internships, etc), just graduated so no full-time work experience.


ahnhub wrote:I think you have a decent shot at Michigan and Penn, and better than decent at NU.


No.

User avatar
lawschool89
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby lawschool89 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Great thanks so much to everyone for the help! Look like I'm going to stick to Penn ED, but still be happy if I end up at Georgetown.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:48 pm

lawschool89 wrote:Great thanks so much to everyone for the help! Look like I'm going to stick to Penn ED, but still be happy if I end up at Georgetown.

Dude, no. You have an excellent chance RD. You have a great shot at Virginia too, and should almost surely be in at Mich + $. No reason to box yourself in.

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby vulpixie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:01 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Don't ED lower than MVP.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:21 am

HeavenWood wrote:
lawschool89 wrote:Great thanks so much to everyone for the help! Look like I'm going to stick to Penn ED, but still be happy if I end up at Georgetown.

Dude, no. You have an excellent chance RD. You have a great shot at Virginia too, and should almost surely be in at Mich + $. No reason to box yourself in.


+1

No need to ED Penn and lock yourself in. The 171 will get you places. Money and choices could be had.

User avatar
lawschool89
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby lawschool89 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:49 am

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
lawschool89 wrote:Great thanks so much to everyone for the help! Look like I'm going to stick to Penn ED, but still be happy if I end up at Georgetown.

Dude, no. You have an excellent chance RD. You have a great shot at Virginia too, and should almost surely be in at Mich + $. No reason to box yourself in.


+1

No need to ED Penn and lock yourself in. The 171 will get you places. Money and choices could be had.



You think so? I was under the impression that Penn would be way more of a reach school. Maybe i'll ED to CCN just for shits and giggles? man i'm all over the place with these EDs.

thanks for all of your advice, really though.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 am

I wouldn't really ED anywhere, I would take your chances. I think Chicago and NYU are good candidates, but would you take them over money at the lower schools, that's your preference. I think having the 171 gives you some flexibility, you may not want to lock yourself in. If you don't like how it shakes out, you can always apply again and ED somewhere next cycle, and get some WE while you are at it. Full sticker price is a lot of money, your calculus should rule.

Also. What are your preferences as to post graduate plans? That should make a different too. I think you would have decent options up and down the rankings, so you should do a bit of long term planning depending on what you want out of your JD.

User avatar
lawschool89
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: 3.66/171, ED to Georgetown?

Postby lawschool89 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:I wouldn't really ED anywhere, I would take your chances. I think Chicago and NYU are good candidates, but would you take them over money at the lower schools, that's your preference. I think having the 171 gives you some flexibility, you may not want to lock yourself in. If you don't like how it shakes out, you can always apply again and ED somewhere next cycle, and get some WE while you are at it. Full sticker price is a lot of money, your calculus should rule.

Also. What are your preferences as to post graduate plans? That should make a different too. I think you would have decent options up and down the rankings, so you should do a bit of long term planning depending on what you want out of your JD.


As of now i'm thinking of a career in some form of business law. I've been doing some research into which schools offer the best programs/have the best location for this field. Do you have any suggestions based on this?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests