3.2/165, what do you think?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kerflux

3.2/165, what do you think?

Postby kerflux » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 pm

I've stalked a few lsn profiles similar to mine, plugged in my numbers to all the calculators, but ultimately I'd like your guys' advice on my actual cycle. My LSDAS GPA is apparently 3.19 (one 2.0 semester, didn't think I'd do anything past undergrad), I took the LSAT in Oct and scored a 165. I kinda felt like I bombed the logic games portion so I was actually relieved by that score. I didn't study much at all, but I really do not want to retake, so give me your thoughts on all of this without a potentially higher LSAT. I'd like to practice in CA - not averse to SoCal (might be nice to get out of my comfort zone) but I've always lived in the Bay and I like it here. I wouldn't mind going out of state for school, but I'm guessing that outside of the t14 any degree I get will be somewhat regional. As far as soft factors and personal statement, I'm convinced that whatever extra boost can be had from them, I can get. I grew up with a single mother at a huge socioeconomic disadvantage; food stamps, wic, you name it - I was on it. I worked full-time throughout college, nothing impressive, just serving tables at night w/a few steady personal training clients. I may be doing the Army OCS program (reserves), but I don't want boot camp to conflict with my first year (assuming I get in anywhere worth attending), so I'm not sure I should/can include it in my softs. If it's at all relevant, I think I'd like to work in a DA's office.
edit: non-URM, took a year off after graduating college, working as a personal banker
^Sorry for the length. twss

Anyway, my reaches are:
Berkeley (even worth submitting an app?)
UCLA
USC
My hopefuls:
UC Davis
Hastings
What I think are my targets:
Loyola
Pepperdine
SCU
USF
A couple random apps:
William and Mary
Bloomington

Thank you in advance for the analyses - if you don't think one of these is worth the app cost (I'm limited here) let me know!

ilovesf

Re: 3.2/165, what do you think?

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Hey. I'll help you out a bit. I had a 3.35 and a 158 then a 165, so we have similar numbers. Out of the schools you listed, I applied to:
UC Hastings
UC Davis
USF

I got in at UCH (where I am currently a 1L now), waitlisted at UC Davis and I immediately withdrew (I didn't care much about going there, I have no idea how I would have fared on the WL), and I got in at USF with a small scholarship - I can't remember the exact number, I think $15,000 the first year. USF scholly was small because they average LSAT scores, so that hurt me.

Applications will likely decline this year, so you might have a better chance at these schools than I did. Your reaches are 99% out, but if you don't mind the application fee, why not apply. UCH is trying to decrease their class size next year (but they say this every year), and their LSAT median took a huge dive this year. That will really help you get in. The bad part is they put a high value on GPA, with the median at like a 3.65 or something. You'll definitely get in at your targets.

Have you thought about retaking the LSAT? If you got a 165 your first time, you can surely do better with some more studying.
If you have any questions about UCH, I'll be happy to answer them.

edit: just saw you don't want to retake.. oops.. well I still recommend it anyway.
Last edited by ilovesf on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:05 pm

You will get into none of your reaches and all of your targets (perhaps a WL for Davis, though I'm not sure)

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:25 pm

kerflux wrote: I took the LSAT in Oct and scored a 165. I kinda felt like I bombed the logic games portion so I was actually relieved by that score. I didn't study much at all, but I really do not want to retake, so give me your thoughts on all of this without a potentially higher LSAT.

Not worth applying to your reaches. Go retake. WTF would you not retake if you feel you can do better and have no shot at your current reaches?

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:43 pm

Yeah, the more I look over the boards the more I consider retaking. Maybe taking a prep course and going for next cycle, but I just hate the idea of sitting out another year - not digging my job, and I want to feel like I'm doing something important. I think if I get in to either Davis or Hastings, or some great scholarship offer somewhere else, I'll do it, but other than that I may just end up sitting it out. You think with maybe a 170 I'd be in at USC or UCLA? I feel like the general consensus is that Berkeley won't overlook much in terms of low-GPA.
I would just hate to waste a year, increase my LSAT, and then still not get into schools because of the GPA-floor.
Thanks for the breakdown, sf, btw, what do you think about the environment at Hastings (cutthroat competition)? I know ls is bound to be competitive, but do you think it is exceedingly so?

Return to “What are my chances?”