2.4 GPA (4.0)/ 176 LSAT URM Female Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
misslaw1

New

2.4 GPA (4.0)/ 176 LSAT URM Female

Post by misslaw1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:56 pm

I posted a of couple months ago in the URM forum but wanted to get a few more responses.

In my freshman and sophomore years I had 2 semesters of WF's because I got sick and found out I developed diabetes. I then took one year off of school to focus on my health in which I lost around 100 pounds and my diabetes is very much under control. Also during this time I was getting better I held a job that became my inspiration for going to law school.

After the year off, I started at a new school and since then I have held a 4.0 GPA. I haven't taken the LSAT as of yet, but two months ago I had a diagnostic that was around 165 and since then my PT average has been 176-178 over ~30 tests.

My question is: If I were to score a 176 (the low end of my average), with my GPA, what schools do you guys think that I have somewhat of a chance of getting into? If all else fails I will apply to Howard and hope they accept me since they have decent employment prospects for african americans.

I know that splitter cycles are hard to predict, but I would greatly appreciate your input.

Gold

Re: 2.4 GPA (4.0)/ 176 LSAT URM Female

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Howard.... lol

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 pm

I don't know whether Howard is better for an AA than WUSTL, but I would be surprised if WUSTL doesn't throw a ton of money at you. Same with Minn and UIUC and the midwest generally. If you have WE when you apply, NU would be a very good chance. Not sure about the rest of the T14. I'd lean no, but I wouldn't be surprised if one bit.

misslaw1

New

Post by misslaw1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Kabuo wrote:I don't know whether Howard is better for an AA than WUSTL, but I would be surprised if WUSTL doesn't throw a ton of money at you. Same with Minn and UIUC and the midwest generally. If you have WE when you apply, NU would be a very good chance. Not sure about the rest of the T14. I'd lean no, but I wouldn't be surprised if one bit.

Thank you for your advice. And I was under the impression that it was T-14 or Howard for AA. I am interested in biglaw. Would WUSTL be good for me? And what if I wanted to practice on the east coast?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:10 pm

misslaw1 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I don't know whether Howard is better for an AA than WUSTL, but I would be surprised if WUSTL doesn't throw a ton of money at you. Same with Minn and UIUC and the midwest generally. If you have WE when you apply, NU would be a very good chance. Not sure about the rest of the T14. I'd lean no, but I wouldn't be surprised if one bit.

Thank you for your advice. And I was under the impression that it was T-14 or Howard for AA. I am interested in biglaw. Would WUSTL be good for me? And what if I wanted to practice on the east coast?
( I want to emphasize to obviously blanket the T14.) Then, for the next set of apps, if you want east coast, then not so much WUSTL, but instead Vandy for Southeast, and then BC, BU, GWU, Fordham etc., but only with $$$ and if you don't get T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:11 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
misslaw1 wrote:

( I want to emphasize to obviously blanket the T14.) Then, for the next set of apps, if you want east coast, then WUSTL only for the full-ride in your pocket, but more so app to Vandy for Southeast, and then BC, BU, GWU, Fordham etc., but only with $$$ and if you don't get T14.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:15 pm

misslaw1 wrote:

Generally speaking, WUSTL is not a biglaw power house. Probably just upwards of 20% will land it. And there are certainly better options for the coast. Whether those options will still be better options for you based on cost of attendance, I don't know. I also don't know how much diversity plays into biglaw hiring, because I'm a 1L and not a URM. If you can manage to land a full time job upon graduation that requires your degree, you should absolutely do that. Not only will you save up some money, you'll distance yourself from your GPA, you'll add WE to your app which will make NU pretty likely imo, and you'll give the legal economy more time to figure itself out.

misslaw1

New

Post by misslaw1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:20 pm

@BlackMajic Yes, I will definitely do that. Your strategy sounds good. I'm just hoping to get an LSAC fee waiver.

@Kabuo I see the logic in that. Another question, would the year of work experience I had while out of school count as work experience for NU?

Thanks guys.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:31 pm

WUSTL/GW/Illinois and other splitter friendly schools might throw you a lot of money.

Your best bets in the T14 are probably NU/GULC, maybe Cornell/UVA. For NU's work experience, it's hard to say but I would err towards no since they generally want full time postcollege work exp. However there is a chance that NU will look upon it favorably so it is definitely worth a shot there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 pm

1) Get the score before you get too set on plans. Your options will change pretty dramatically if you do better or worse than you expect.

2) Call the school that's got the WFs on your transcript and see if you can get them to drop them or change them to straight Ws. It's a long shot, but what can it hurt?

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:50 pm

If you were legitimately sick and you now have a really good GPA and your school was mean to you, that does not mean that law schools will be the same. And if your GPA took a solid upswing that is even more of a reason for them to ignore what happened. I would not be surprised if you made it to teh top 3 law schools. I have been on these boards for a while and have applied to and gotten into various law schools. Ignore the above posters and shoot for the stars. But why are you sweating this so early? You really must want to go to law school! PM me if you need any help.

misslaw1

New

Post by misslaw1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks guys for your tips and I will take them all into consideration.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”