Worth the fee to Harvard

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Take Two

Worth the fee to Harvard

Postby Take Two » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Alright I think I am braced to get my character, integrity, and intelligence trashed by posting this. :D

I am wondering if you all think it is worth it for me to throw an app at Harvard. The numbers are 176 and 3.73. I know that Law School Predictor puts me as a consider and that would be good enough for me to give it a go but I also have a 164 from June.

I know the retaking article says they consider the average and the complete history but I am wondering how much stock to put in that. Obviously if my scores are averaged my chances drop down to about zero.

softs and LORs are nothing to get excited about, decent but standard, only potentially note worthy bit is I am a current Americorps member.

weatherswaysme

Re: Worth the fee to Harvard

Postby weatherswaysme » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:25 pm

worst that can happen is they say no. If I were you, I would spend the money

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:27 pm

weatherswaysme wrote:worst that can happen is they say no. If I were you, I would spend the money

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Absolutely apply.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Absolutely apply.

This. There is not definite consensus that they actually average.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks everybody! You are right the worst they can say is is no and I will probably regret being a little stingy if I dont give it a try.

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:52 pm

top30man wrote:
Absolutely apply.

This. There is not definite consensus that they actually average.
bk1 wrote:
weatherswaysme wrote:worst that can happen is they say no. If I were you, I would spend the money
100% agree with the consensus here. From personal experience it's much better to just fork over the money for YHS than to think about "what might have been" after the fact. Especially since you have a great chance.

snailio

Postby snailio » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Well as it stands you're a splitter, but I think you can use an addendum to mitigate the 164 since it's 12 point spread between takes, also they lerv Americorps. It is definitely worth throwing an app at em.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:07 pm

There's your answer. There are worse ways to spend the money. Instead of hitting up the bars and buying rounds, take a weekend off and save the cash to put toward your app fee. You don't want to be kicking yourself somewhere down the line, wondering if you could have gotten in. Good luck!

paul34

Postby paul34 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:41 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aperfectmap

Postby aperfectmap » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Definitely go for it. My LSAT is below yours, and I was asked to do a KB 1 phone interview. For what it's worth, I am currently in TFA, so the Americorps participation may be a good tie-breaker for you as well.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:57 am

Similar numbers here (3.75/168/177). I'm going to apply to all of HYS. Here's hoping they don't actually average. Good luck!

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Alright sent it in, here's to hoping! Thanks everyone for the advice and good luck!

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:04 am

top30man wrote:There is not definite consensus that they actually average.

Actually, there is definite consensus that they absolutely do *not* average. Ever.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:25 am

vulpixie wrote:

Actually, there is definite consensus that they absolutely do *not* average. Ever.

I dont know about this. Retakers have, in cycles past, been at a distinct disadvantage to first time takers. This isn't to say that they strictly average, but it's clear that there is some stigma still at YHS.

I think your big gap will help, especially when apps are down.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:29 am

bdubs wrote:
vulpixie wrote:

I dont know about this. Retakers have, in cycles past, been at a distinct disadvantage to first time takers. This isn't to say that they strictly average, but it's clear that there is some stigma still at YHS.

I think your big gap will help, especially when apps are down.

Any pattern as to how they view cancels? I thought the consensus was you get one "free" cancel, but if you have two it'll raise some eyebrows.

OP could easily write an addendum about how he had the stomach flu the day of his first test...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:23 am

Even if your prior LSAT dropped your odds of acceptance to 1% (which it won't), wouldn't a 1% chance of admission be worth the app fee?

(Answer: Yes.)

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:29 pm

bdubs wrote:I dont know about this. Retakers have, in cycles past, been at a distinct disadvantage to first time takers. This isn't to say that they strictly average, but it's clear that there is some stigma still at YHS.

I believe Gaia the Mod's stats were a 167, 167, 172. She got into Harvard on the first string of acceptances. A white female with a 4.0 168/169 (the average of her scores) would have been an auto reject. She is just one example of dozens. Obviously HYS -- like all other schools -- cares only about what's reportable. OP will not suffer a disadvantage from his first LSAT.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:26 pm

vulpixie wrote:
bdubs wrote:I dont know about this. Retakers have, in cycles past, been at a distinct disadvantage to first time takers. This isn't to say that they strictly average, but it's clear that there is some stigma still at YHS.

I believe Gaia the Mod's stats were a 167, 167, 172. She got into Harvard on the first string of acceptances. A white female with a 4.0 168/169 (the average of her scores) would have been an auto reject. She is just one example of dozens. Obviously HYS -- like all other schools -- cares only about what's reportable. OP will not suffer a disadvantage from his first LSAT.

Gaia's not a white female. But I agree, previous scores don't seem to matter much.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Don't even question this... APPLY!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Take Two wrote:Alright I think I am braced to get my character, integrity, and intelligence trashed by posting this. :D

I am wondering if you all think it is worth it for me to throw an app at Harvard. The numbers are 176 and 3.73. I know that Law School Predictor puts me as a consider and that would be good enough for me to give it a go but I also have a 164 from June.

I know the retaking article says they consider the average and the complete history but I am wondering how much stock to put in that. Obviously if my scores are averaged my chances drop down to about zero.

softs and LORs are nothing to get excited about, decent but standard, only potentially note worthy bit is I am a current Americorps member.

yeah it was worth it

should have applied earlier though

Postby 20121109 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:54 pm

vulpixie wrote:

One of my best friends at HLS is a white female who got in off the WL with a 166/4.0. A white female with a 4.0/168 is definitely not an auto reject to HLS.

Also, thanks for the shout out, lol.. <3

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Borhas wrote:
Take Two wrote:Alright I think I am braced to get my character, integrity, and intelligence trashed by posting this. :D

yeah it was worth it

should have applied earlier though

Wish that I had! Also wish I hadn't taken that first LSAT haha, but whats done is done! I appreciate everyone's input!

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:39 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
vulpixie wrote:

One of my best friends at HLS is a white female who got in off the WL with a 166/4.0. A white female with a 4.0/168 is definitely not an auto reject to HLS.

Also, thanks for the shout out, lol.. <3

Whoops, my bad. I guess I just assumed you were not a URM since you retook a solid (high 160s) score that was coupled with a great GPA. Sorry for the misconception!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:44 am

Any point whatsoever in me throwing away 101 dollars? White male, 3.54/166/166/176. No strong softs

Return to “What are my chances?”