ED to Columbia/Chicago

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bpatient3

ED to Columbia/Chicago

Postby bpatient3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:27 am

I am considering if I should apply ED to Columbia.
I have 3.99/171 (168 when I first took it).
Does Columbia look at the higher score or average the scores?
Also, what do you think my chances are at Columbia if I apply ED?
I'm worried about not so stellar lsat score and considering if I should ED Chicago instead since they have lower 25th/75th percentile for lsat.
What do you guys think?? Please help me. Your advice will be greatly appreciated : )

vulpixie

Re: ED to Columbia/Chicago

Postby vulpixie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:09 pm

You probably need to be at Columbia's median LSAT in order to have a viable shot. Retake for a 172 and you're in. Also, no schools average scores in practice. Ever. Your highest score is all that matters.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:17 pm

vulpixie wrote:You probably need to be at Columbia's median LSAT in order to have a viable shot. Retake for a 172 and you're in. Also, no schools average scores in practice. Ever. Your highest score is all that matters.

not for ED.

bpatient3

Postby bpatient3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:20 pm

thanks for your help!
I don't think I'll be retaking LSAT. Do you think it would be hard to get into Columbia with 171?
Would applying ED help at all??

bpatient3

Postby bpatient3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:22 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
vulpixie wrote:You probably need to be at Columbia's median LSAT in order to have a viable shot. Retake for a 172 and you're in. Also, no schools average scores in practice. Ever. Your highest score is all that matters.

not for ED.

What do you mean "not for ED"??
They do look at the average score?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:26 pm

bpatient3 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

not for ED.

no, I said that you don't need to hit the LSAT median with such a high GPA if you're ED-ing

HITeacher2

Postby HITeacher2 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:32 pm

I applied in a previous cycle and had a 4.06 / 171 (169 first take). Without the A+s, I had a 3.98.

I got into Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, and waitlisted > accepted at Chicago.

There's no appreciable difference between your 3.99 and my 4.06.

That's all...

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:39 pm

A 3.99/171 is likely to get you into Chicago and Columbia via regular decision.

PBJones

Postby PBJones » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:19 pm

He (or she) has more than a viable shot now, with his LSAT above their 25th percentile and his GPA killing Columbia's GPA. Columbia does indeed much prefer an applicant with a killer LSAT and a just decent GPA to the converse (your LSAT is great OP, but is only decent by Columbia standards), but given that he's currently just a hair below Columbia LSAT median, I'd give him a better than 50-50 chance.

OP is in great shape at Stanford if he wants to go, as he's above their median LSAT and 75th percentile GPA. H Y are worth the apps right now, with a lock at H at 173.

I agree he should retake, as he'd be a lock at a 172, and would likely get big $$$ if he can score above C's LSAT median. If he can luck out and hit the mid 170's, a very viable chance at a full ride to C.
Last edited by PBJones on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:21 pm

PBJones wrote:OP is also already a lock at Stanford if he wants to go.

This was one of the funnier comments I saw in this post.

PBJones

Postby PBJones » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
PBJones wrote:OP is also already a lock at Stanford if he wants to go.

This was one of the funnier comments I saw in this post.

Sorry: That was a misstype. I'm a bit new at this but I know Stanford has a black-box/holistic style admissions.

bpatient3

Postby bpatient3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:20 pm

HITeacher2 wrote:I applied in a previous cycle and had a 4.06 / 171 (169 first take). Without the A+s, I had a 3.98.

I got into Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, and waitlisted > accepted at Chicago.

There's no appreciable difference between your 3.99 and my 4.06.

That's all...

May I ask if you are an international student? (as I am one, I'm wondering if being an international student is going to hurt my chances at getting into those schools)

bpatient3

Postby bpatient3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:25 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bpatient3 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

not for ED.

no, I said that you don't need to hit the LSAT median with such a high GPA if you're ED-ing

Thanks, that sounds hopeful : )
So you think I have better than 50/50 if I'm ED-ing, right? How about if I apply RD?
Do you think it would be very risky for me if I don't ED to any school, and just RD to schools including Harvard and Stanford? (these two are my top choices).
I'm worried that if I don't ED to any, I would end up not getting into any of T6 :(
Thank you for your kind advice!

bpatient3

Postby bpatient3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:29 pm

PBJones wrote:

He (or she) has more than a viable shot now, with his LSAT above their 25th percentile and his GPA killing Columbia's GPA. Columbia does indeed much prefer an applicant with a killer LSAT and a just decent GPA to the converse (your LSAT is great OP, but is only decent by Columbia standards), but given that he's currently just a hair below Columbia LSAT median, I'd give him a better than 50-50 chance.

OP is in great shape at Stanford if he wants to go, as he's above their median LSAT and 75th percentile GPA. H Y are worth the apps right now, with a lock at H at 173.

I agree he should retake, as he'd be a lock at a 172, and would likely get big $$$ if he can score above C's LSAT median. If he can luck out and hit the mid 170's, a very viable chance at a full ride to C.

So you think I have a better shot at Stanford than at Columbia?
Because my top choices are Stanford and Harvard, but I'm considering ED-ing to Columbia, because I'm worried that I might not get into any of T6 if I don't ED to one of CCN and just RD to all.
Thanks for your help!

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Don't ED and you'll probably be surprised how well you do.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Male or Female? At most schools it won't matter, but the top schools do have minor affirmative action (around a 2 point boost) for women. If you are a white male, look at the 75th LSAT. This is because the bell curve for women is slightly different than men (more median, less very dumb and very elite)

bpatient3

Postby bpatient3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:41 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Male or Female? At most schools it won't matter, but the top schools do have minor affirmative action (around a 2 point boost) for women. If you are a white male, look at the 75th LSAT. This is because the bell curve for women is slightly different than men (more median, less very dumb and very elite)

I am an asian female.
What do you think that would do to my chances? would it help or hurt?
I am so confused... Columbia's ED deadline is in just over 10 days.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:59 pm

bpatient3 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Male or Female? At most schools it won't matter, but the top schools do have minor affirmative action (around a 2 point boost) for women. If you are a white male, look at the 75th LSAT. This is because the bell curve for women is slightly different than men (more median, less very dumb and very elite)

I am an asian female.
What do you think that would do to my chances? would it help or hurt?
I am so confused... Columbia's ED deadline is in just over 10 days.

I don't think Asian will hurt you (like it would for UG admissions) I do think that being female will help you a little bit, like I would view your 171 as 172 or so. If you ED Columbia you will get in. However, I think that if you held out and applied RD, you would have a chance at a great scholarship from somewhere in the top five.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Filters are: 170-172 // 3.9-4.3 // Regular Decision Only
http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ion_type=1

Basically, you'll be fine with a RD.

Same filters except for Chicago:
http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ion_type=1

Apply RD and weigh your options considering you'll have about a 40% at Harvard / Stanford.
http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ion_type=1

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 pm

bpatient3 wrote:May I ask if you are an international student? (as I am one, I'm wondering if being an international student is going to hurt my chances at getting into those schools)
If you are intl, how do you have a GPA?

bpatient3

Postby bpatient3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 pm

jim-green wrote:
bpatient3 wrote:May I ask if you are an international student? (as I am one, I'm wondering if being an international student is going to hurt my chances at getting into those schools)
If you are intl, how do you have a GPA?

I am an international student attending undergrad in U.S. :)
Then, I still count as an international student, right?

ralphdickerson

Postby ralphdickerson » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Hey guys, I know this is a little off topic, but check out this video. If you like it, pass it on--the main dude's a 2nd year at USC, instead of making biglaw, he's making awesome music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7EoEwNQ2PY

ralphdickerson

Postby ralphdickerson » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Return to “What are my chances?”