I'm cashing in on my one hypothetical 3.51/171 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Chances of getting into Boalt(%)?

40%
1-10
28%
10-20
15%
20-40
9%
40-60
4%
60-100
4%

Total votes: 47

Da1andOnlyPharo

New

I'm cashing in on my one hypothetical 3.51/171

Post by Da1andOnlyPharo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Edit: Deleted
Last edited by Da1andOnlyPharo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Re: I'm cashing in on my one hypothetical 3.51/171

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Retake
Last edited by Angrygeopolitically on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:27 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:-Graduate of Ohio State Univ. B.S.B.A. in Finance
-Economics/Japanese minor
-3.51/171
-raised by a single mother who was disabled.
-2-3 pretty good letters of rec from undergraduate faculty
-Will take a year off between graduation and first year of law school to work for a year, preferably in the finance field.
-In undergrad, Charged and sanctioned for academic misconduct (use of unauthorized materials on exam)
-Additionally, Charged but not sanctioned for bribery related to the charge above.

The above are hypothetical circumstances (well, many are true, mainly the numbers are hypo). Ignoring all considerations of whether the hypo's are likely to be true, (assume they are true) what do you think my chances are of getting into Boalt (use the poll). In addition, I'd love a brief statement explaining that choice, and any other T14's you think I'd have a good shot at getting into.
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Come back when you have non-hypothetical numbers.

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Angrygeopolitically wrote:Retake
:mrgreen:

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:43 pm

weirder things have happened, but you have a fairly unremarkable background and a poor GPA. Those are not two things that Boalt cares for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:46 pm

I would let you into my school just for the bribery thing...wow...

Bodhi_mind

Bronze

Post by Bodhi_mind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 pm

Please take the LSAT and get a real GPA

Da1andOnlyPharo

New

Post by Da1andOnlyPharo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:-Graduate of Ohio State Univ. B.S.B.A. in Finance
-Economics/Japanese minor
-3.51/171
-raised by a single mother who was disabled.
-2-3 pretty good letters of rec from undergraduate faculty
-Will take a year off between graduation and first year of law school to work for a year, preferably in the finance field.
-In undergrad, Charged and sanctioned for academic misconduct (use of unauthorized materials on exam)
-Additionally, Charged but not sanctioned for bribery related to the charge above.

The above are hypothetical circumstances (well, many are true, mainly the numbers are hypo). Ignoring all considerations of whether the hypo's are likely to be true, (assume they are true) what do you think my chances are of getting into Boalt (use the poll). In addition, I'd love a brief statement explaining that choice, and any other T14's you think I'd have a good shot at getting into.
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Come back when you have non-hypothetical numbers.
Right, so first of all I wouldnt be asking on here if i hadn't already checked those so thanks for nothing.
Angrygeopolitically wrote:Retake
My mistake actually. The LSAT is real, the GPA is hypothetical. I now have a 3.33, yes I know its poor but literally with filling out my schedule completely for the remainder of my time at school and getting straight A's, 3.51 is as high as I can get it. The other hypothetical would be the year of work experience, just so everythings spelled out.

So again, miscommunication on my part, sorry about that.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 pm

Assuming you stay at a 3.33, you're probably not getting into Berkeley. All the Cali schools are GPA whores. Also, cheating on a test and then responding to it with bribery will not look good no matter how you frame it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Da1andOnlyPharo

New

Post by Da1andOnlyPharo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:25 pm

Flips88 wrote:Assuming you stay at a 3.33, you're probably not getting into Berkeley. All the Cali schools are GPA whores. Also, cheating on a test and then responding to it with bribery will not look good no matter how you frame it.
You were supposed to assume that the hypo's were true :|. but +1, what ppl don't seem to get is that LSN and LSP's can only take you so far, and because of the holistic nature of the Boalt app, there is a lot of value in getting outside perspectives. In this case, the way you phrased my misconduct is a way of looking at it that my own bias wouldn't let me, so thanks.

BTW, the way I was hoping to frame it was focusing mainly on the academic misconduct, and hoping that since the bribery thing didn't stick they wouldn't give it much clout. and of course, there will be the obligatory "I honestly look back on it as a blessing, because I find myself to be much more proactive in recognizing my sources and avoiding plagiarism than many of the students around me." But you're right, they will most likely look past all that and think of it how you said it.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:56 pm

These are my exact numbers, and I think Boalt is a reach. At most schools it would be OK on paper (above LSAT median, below GPA median) but Boalt appears to value the GPA far and above the LSAT.

Da1andOnlyPharo

New

Post by Da1andOnlyPharo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:38 am

RamblinBoyofPleasure wrote:These are my exact numbers, and I think Boalt is a reach. At most schools it would be OK on paper (above LSAT median, below GPA median) but Boalt appears to value the GPA far and above the LSAT.
You've got the 3.51/171 split as well? That's crazy. Care to share any progress you've had applying to schools thus far, or is this the first cycle you'll be applying? I've heard the Boalt weighting more towards GPA thing is kind of a myth, the article with the Dean on TLS had him saying it was like 1/3 GPA, 1/3 LSAT, 1/3 everything else. I've also heard that they're one of the few schools that actually means it when they say they've got a "holistic" approach, and it sounds like they put more weight than any other school on softs. anyways I'm interested in hearing if you have any more input.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:51 am

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:
RamblinBoyofPleasure wrote:These are my exact numbers, and I think Boalt is a reach. At most schools it would be OK on paper (above LSAT median, below GPA median) but Boalt appears to value the GPA far and above the LSAT.
I've heard the Boalt weighting more towards GPA thing is kind of a myth, the article with the Dean on TLS had him saying it was like 1/3 GPA, 1/3 LSAT, 1/3 everything else.
They can SAY they weigh everything the same, but the school could be targeting certain medians when they evaluate applications. Their LSAT median is the lowest of the T14, but their GPA median is higher than higher ranked schools like Columbia and Michigan.

Also - it's a good rule of thumb to take what Deans say with a grain of salt. Georgetown's Dean also said they weigh everything in thirds, and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence on TLS that says otherwise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:04 am

Da1andOnlyPharo

New

Post by Da1andOnlyPharo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:44 am

@Grizz You're not clever. Since I already stated that I do in fact have an LSAT score and GPA, and I assume you can read, I can only imagine you're referring to the fact that I "don't have super softs." I don't really give a fuck, whoever made that picture didn't make the rules of the internet, so you should just stop trying to be a cheeky bastard and not waste any more of my time. Literally don't care if I get banned at this point, its like pulling teeth trying to get actual insight here because people like you would rather just agitate people instead of helping them.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:58 am

Bribery thing is really weird. Is that going to have C&F ramifications? I've heard that most things won't except for fraudulent types of activities, such as cheating and bribery.

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Assuming you stay at a 3.33, you're probably not getting into Berkeley. All the Cali schools are GPA whores. Also, cheating on a test and then responding to it with bribery will not look good no matter how you frame it.
You were supposed to assume that the hypo's were true :|. but +1, what ppl don't seem to get is that LSN and LSP's can only take you so far, and because of the holistic nature of the Boalt app, there is a lot of value in getting outside perspectives. In this case, the way you phrased my misconduct is a way of looking at it that my own bias wouldn't let me, so thanks.

BTW, the way I was hoping to frame it was focusing mainly on the academic misconduct, and hoping that since the bribery thing didn't stick they wouldn't give it much clout. and of course, there will be the obligatory "I honestly look back on it as a blessing, because I find myself to be much more proactive in recognizing my sources and avoiding plagiarism than many of the students around me." But you're right, they will most likely look past all that and think of it how you said it.
Have you thought about swinging by the admissions office of Berkeley and offering some incentive.
--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:@Grizz You're not clever. Since I already stated that I do in fact have an LSAT score and GPA, and I assume you can read, I can only imagine you're referring to the fact that I "don't have super softs." I don't really give a fuck, whoever made that picture didn't make the rules of the internet, so you should just stop trying to be a cheeky bastard and not waste any more of my time. Literally don't care if I get banned at this point, its like pulling teeth trying to get actual insight here because people like you would rather just agitate people instead of helping them.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:@Grizz You're not clever. Since I already stated that I do in fact have an LSAT score and GPA, and I assume you can read, I can only imagine you're referring to the fact that I "don't have super softs." I don't really give a fuck, whoever made that picture didn't make the rules of the internet, so you should just stop trying to be a cheeky bastard and not waste any more of my time. Literally don't care if I get banned at this point, its like pulling teeth trying to get actual insight here because people like you would rather just agitate people instead of helping them.
Why u mad tho? Enjoy that 3.33. LOL at strait A's from here on out. Probably thinks will be top 30% after 1L too.

Da1andOnlyPharo

New

Post by Da1andOnlyPharo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:02 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Why u mad tho? Enjoy that 3.33. LOL at strait A's from here on out. Probably thinks will be top 30% after 1L too.
Shouldn't have a problem with competition like you

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Angrygeopolitically wrote:[Have you thought about swinging by the admissions office of Berkeley and offering some incentive.

--ImageRemoved--
Ahahahaha this is so awesome!
Last edited by PurplePirate on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
o no he didnt!

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
o no he didnt!

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote: The above are hypothetical circumstances (well, many are true, mainly the numbers are hypo).
OP's LSAT is hypo, no matter what he/she says.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:36 pm

I pulled the image from the sticky thread in this subforum you miserable fuck.

U mad cuz im stylin on u?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”