3.1 GPA, where am I locked out?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nelson

Re: 3.1 GPA, where am I locked out?

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:05 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Nelson wrote:
emarxnj wrote:General consensus on Fordham at sticker?

Don't do it.

About what I imagined. Thanks.

Though, am I right in thinking that a school like NU or UVA would be worth it at sticker? Or is the legal market just that shitty...

Depends on how risk averse you are.

I think Fordham at sticker is insane because you only have a 1 in 5 shot of getting out from under 200k in debt. NU or UVA you have a much better chance of getting biglaw plus a better shot at PI with better LRAP. It's still a gamble, but the odds are significantly better.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Nelson wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Don't do it.

Though, am I right in thinking that a school like NU or UVA would be worth it at sticker? Or is the legal market just that shitty...

Depends on how risk averse you are.

I think Fordham at sticker is insane because you only have a 1 in 5 shot of getting out from under 200k in debt. NU or UVA you have a much better chance of getting biglaw plus a better shot at PI with better LRAP. It's still a gamble, but the odds are significantly better.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, obviously I'd like to leave with minimal debt, but the only schools I'd consider where I could hope to get some money would be Rutgers (in-state) or maybe Temple with an LSAT bump, but I think I'd much rather take my chances with higher debt in the T-20. Though, this all depends on my re-take.

I was re-reading the thread, and I never really got an answer about Cornell. Pretty much no-shot with my GPA then?
Last edited by Easy-E on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 pm

emarxnj wrote:I was re-reading the thread, and I never really got an answer about Cornell. Pretty much no-shot with my GPA then?

Depends on how well your retake goes. There are some green (more yellow) dots for mid-170s on LSN with your GPA.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Nelson wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I was re-reading the thread, and I never really got an answer about Cornell. Pretty much no-shot with my GPA then?

Depends on how well your retake goes. There are some green (more yellow) dots for mid-170s on LSN with your GPA.

Good to know, figure I should be aiming as high as possible. Hopefully the WE helps too.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:08 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Don't do it.

I haven't applied for financial aid yet, but as of now I'm planning for NU at sticker. The lower T14 is where TLS opinions on sticker price start diverging a lot, mostly depending on an individual's aversion to risk. NU I think is a slightly better gamble than its immediate peers because it does tend to outplace its USNWR ranking in terms of biglaw. But obviously it's not HYS.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:29 am

They could be worth sticker, but again, the best bet is to get as much money as possible.

NU and UVA are both great schools, but if you're in the bottom 20% anything will be hard.

If you do well at either school, and want big law, you'll likely get it. If you don't do well, no school is going to help you *that* much, sans HYS.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:39 am

Are you applying next cycle? If so, why the Feb retake rather than June?

Sorry if this has been asked, but ctrl+f "june" revealed nothing.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:36 pm

MachineLemon wrote:Are you applying next cycle? If so, why the Feb retake rather than June?

Sorry if this has been asked, but ctrl+f "june" revealed nothing.

No, I actually should have mentioned when I bumped the thread, I did push until June. Worked out better for my schedule, and I can still apply day 1.

LawSchoolChampion wrote:They could be worth sticker, but again, the best bet is to get as much money as possible.

NU and UVA are both great schools, but if you're in the bottom 20% anything will be hard.

If you do well at either school, and want big law, you'll likely get it. If you don't do well, no school is going to help you *that* much, sans HYS.

Figured as much. If I can get into either school, I don't plan on squandering the opportunity (though I'd imagine that's what everyone says). As I said earlier, I'd like to keep my debt reasonable (considering a school's employment prospects). I think considering both those factors, I'd be better off going to a T-14 at sticker than a lower tier regional school like Temple or Rutgers for little to no cost...right?

This is all assuming I knock the retake out of the park, I don't mean to imply that is a lock or anything, but it's the goal.

Return to “What are my chances?”