3.1 GPA, where am I locked out? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Easy-E

Platinum

3.1 GPA, where am I locked out?

Post by Easy-E » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Have a 3.1 GPA, and re-taking the LSAT in February (161 in October). I know a lot of the T-14 have GPA floors that are basically going to lock me out, but if someone would be nice enough to give me an idea of what kind of score I'd need for the following schools, I'd really appreciate it. Obviously I want to get the highest score possible, I guess I just want to temper my expectations if necessary.

In terms of softs, nothing worth mentioning, Dean's List for 2 years and I will have 2 years of WE before entering law school (not sure how to word this, since it will be one year at time of application, but I'll be working until I enter school the following Fall).

Temple
Fordham
UVA
Northwestern
Cornell
UPenn

Thanks for any help guys and gals.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: 3.1 GPA, where am I locked out?

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:43 pm

Not locked out of NU, but you'd need a hell of an improvement on LSAT, obviously.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:52 pm

Penn is unlikely, but not impossible if you absolutely smash the retake. NU could work with a 172 or so, and obv 170+ and ED could get UVA

danielhay11

Bronze

Post by danielhay11 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:54 pm

I'd be more concerned about the LSAT than GPA at this point. Schools might excuse a low GPA with a good LSAT score. But as of now, you're not really a splitter - your LSAT is on par with your GPA. Is there any information about your GPA (upward trend, hard-science major, etc.) that might put the # in a better context?

Of the schools you mention, only Temple is a realistic option with a 3.1/161. You'll need a pretty big jump in your LSAT score to even be 50/50 at any of those schools. Maybe Fordham or NU if you get into the high-160s.

Good luck on the February LSAT. I assume you'll be applying for Fall 2013 if you're not retaking until Feb.?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:04 pm

As a non-URM with a 3.1/161, you are probably locked out of the Top 25 law schools--although Illinois may be worth an application. Iowa & Ohio State are your only realistic chances at the Top 35 based solely on your numbers. Wake Forest may accept you. Of course, two years of WE & a higher LSAT score should open up some higher ranked options.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

If you get to 175+ you could look at Michigan or Northwestern possibly.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:09 pm

172 for Virginia ED & a 173 for Northwestern.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:38 pm

danielhay11 wrote:I'd be more concerned about the LSAT than GPA at this point. Schools might excuse a low GPA with a good LSAT score. But as of now, you're not really a splitter - your LSAT is on par with your GPA. Is there any information about your GPA (upward trend, hard-science major, etc.) that might put the # in a better context?

Of the schools you mention, only Temple is a realistic option with a 3.1/161. You'll need a pretty big jump in your LSAT score to even be 50/50 at any of those schools. Maybe Fordham or NU if you get into the high-160s.

Good luck on the February LSAT. I assume you'll be applying for Fall 2013 if you're not retaking until Feb.?
Yes, I'd be applying for 2013. I figure with my GPA, I need every advantage I can get, and the extra year of WE can't hurt. I don't intend on applying to any schools with my current LSAT. As far as my GPA, I have a consistent upward trend from the first semester to the last. History major, so no points there, did better in my major classes than any of my lower level ones, partially because I decided on law school and partially because the classes weren't so boring. I was PTing around 165 prior to the October test, and I basically bailed on my prep through most of the summer, so I'm confident enough I can make an improvement for February.
JamMasterJ wrote:Penn is unlikely, but not impossible if you absolutely smash the retake. NU could work with a 172 or so, and obv 170+ and ED could get UVA
I figured as much, I think their GPA floor is around 3.3 or so. That's kinda my super reach, even if I break into the 170s.
rinkrat19 wrote:Not locked out of NU, but you'd need a hell of an improvement on LSAT, obviously.
That's the plan :)
CanadianWolf wrote:As a non-URM with a 3.1/161, you are probably locked out of the Top 25 law schools--although Illinois may be worth an application. Iowa & Ohio State are your only realistic chances at the Top 35 based solely on your numbers. Wake Forest may accept you. Of course, two years of WE & a higher LSAT score should open up some higher ranked options.
This is pretty much what I gathered from LSN and LSP, prior to the test I was set on retaking if I didn't break 168. Admittedly, I was not as ready as I wanted to be.
CanadianWolf wrote:172 for Virginia ED & a 173 for Northwestern.
Is that NU ED, or just regular application?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

NU RD because ED acceptees get full tuition scholarships starting this cycle which will make ED acceptances difficult.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:40 pm

I appreciate all the responses. I noticed no one really addressed Cornell and Fordham, are they generally unfriendly towards splitters?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:NU RD because ED acceptees get full tuition scholarships starting this cycle.

Did not know that, thanks. I guess that's good in the sense I wouldn't have to decide between ED UVA or NU. I understand NU puts a good deal of weight into work experience though?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:38 pm

emarxnj wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:NU RD because ED acceptees get full tuition scholarships starting this cycle.

Did not know that, thanks. I guess that's good in the sense I wouldn't have to decide between ED UVA or NU. I understand NU puts a good deal of weight into work experience though?
NU more or less "requires" work experience. Something like 85% of students have 2 years WE and 98% have 1 year. (And that 2% without WE typically have really stellar numbers.) And while they don't require that it be, like, managing 300 people at a F500, they would prefer that it be full-time, self-supporting WE, not just part-time at Old Navy while you live with your parents.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

NU more or less "requires" work experience. Something like 85% of students have 2 years WE and 98% have 1 year. (And that 2% without WE typically have really stellar numbers.) And while they don't require that it be, like, managing 300 people at a F500, they would prefer that it be full-time, self-supporting WE, not just part-time at Old Navy while you live with your parents.

"Project Consultant" at the leading energy consultant in the state. I guess the actual line of work doesn't matter, but it is a full-time gig, not in retail or food service. But I do live with my parents...I can't turn down free room and board :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:51 pm

emarxnj wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

"Project Consultant" at the leading energy consultant in the state. I guess the actual line of work doesn't matter, but it is a full-time gig, not in retail or food service. But I do live with my parents...I can't turn down free room and board :mrgreen:
Yeah, that WE would sound fine to them.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Yeah, that WE would sound fine to them.
So is the consensus that >172 would give me a good shot a NU?

And as I mentioned above, am I out at Cornell and Fordham by my GPA? I know Fordham isn't ranked as high as these other schools I've mentioned, but NYC is my goal, and no one mentioned it, so I figured they were both splitter unfriendly.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm

emarxnj wrote:I appreciate all the responses. I noticed no one really addressed Cornell and Fordham, are they generally unfriendly towards splitters?
My guess is that with your GPA you'll need at least a 167 to reach Fordham. The WE may help you a bit.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:36 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I appreciate all the responses. I noticed no one really addressed Cornell and Fordham, are they generally unfriendly towards splitters?
My guess is that with your GPA you'll need at least a 167 to reach Fordham. The WE may help you a bit.

So long as it doesn't hurt me :D Thanks for the reply

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

danielhay11

Bronze

Post by danielhay11 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:06 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
You might even need 169+ for FU with a 3.1 GPA. Although, Fordham has a PT program that has less rigorous standards. If NYC is your dream (and I'd advise against paying the NYC premium for lower-tier schools), this might be your best bet.

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm

def not, its easier to get into full time than part time despite high medians...isn't there like 30 or 40 people only in part time? PT is not the back door it used to be.

danielhay11

Bronze

Post by danielhay11 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:38 pm

HyeMart wrote:def not, its easier to get into full time than part time despite high medians...isn't there like 30 or 40 people only in part time? PT is not the back door it used to be.
Sounds about right, but I assumed the # of students was a function of demand.

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:15 pm

it was double that 2 years ago...when U.S. started counting part time. Part time accept rates are also (i think) in the single digits for the top 3 programs at least.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:33 am

danielhay11 wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
You might even need 169+ for FU with a 3.1 GPA. Although, Fordham has a PT program that has less rigorous standards. If NYC is your dream (and I'd advise against paying the NYC premium for lower-tier schools), this might be your best bet.

I'd say NY is the goal for sure, but I'm not going to fork over money to Cardozo or Brooklyn to get there.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:35 pm

I know this is a two month bump, but obviously these schools would all be at sticker price. I'd probably do that for most of the schools on that list (especially the bigger reaches like UPenn obviously), but whats the general consensus on Fordham at sticker? I hear there is a large degree of loyalty from some firms, but I just want to be realistic considering its NYC.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:42 pm

emarxnj wrote:General consensus on Fordham at sticker?
Don't do it.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Nelson wrote:
emarxnj wrote:General consensus on Fordham at sticker?
Don't do it.
About what I imagined. Thanks.

Though, am I right in thinking that a school like NU or UVA would be worth it at sticker? Or is the legal market just that shitty...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”