Splitter AA Male 3.1 / 170 LSAT. Retake Dec.?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hyakku

Splitter AA Male 3.1 / 170 LSAT. Retake Dec.?

Postby hyakku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:35 am

Last edited by hyakku on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodhi_mind

Re: Splitter AA Male 3.1 / 170 LSAT. Retake Dec.?

Postby Bodhi_mind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

So is your real LSAT a 170? Sorry if I missed that

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Yes it's a 170, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Hmmm AA male with a 170. You're getting a huge boost. I would blanket the T25 if you can stomach the app costs. You'll get thrown a lot of money and have a shot anywhere, though not extremely likely at HYS. Just my opinion, I'm not a URM expert. I don't think your chances are that slim at the schools on your list. You should get a bite. A 173 would improve your chances but you don't necessarily need a retake.

I'll ask you too, who are your favorite philosophers?

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Ironically enough, while I haven't studied them in University, my favorite philosophers are also Oriental. Rumi and Lao Tzu top my list, followed by Kabir. Yea, technically Rumi / Kabir are poets, but I really like the mysticism type of philosophy.

Western philosophers? Perception guys I like the ideas of Thomas Reid, and my professor that I'm cool with is doing a pretty book big on him so I'm familiar with that. Politically? Bentham's a really interesting guy to me, as is Hobbes. Locke was kind of aggravating, currently getting into Mills / Rawls more so I'll let you know. Weirdly enough I got into Marx before the crisis, and watching it play out made him a lot more relevant to me.

I'm going to try to get fee waivers from as many schools as possible. I'm considering a retake in Dec., but my recent PTS were ranging from 170-175, and in the week leading up to the test I was able to break that, so a 175+ isn't guaranteed in Dec., but by Feb. with me tutoring, I'm almost positive that I will comfortably be pting at 175+. I'm considering applying now, and prayerfully I get in, and then i can try to retake in Feb. for chances at some low money. I was following your line of thought too though and figured I should probably try most of the T25, I just listed the schools I would really like to go to.

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:56 pm

I don't think T25 is necessary. Perhaps WUSTL and T14. ED to V would also work.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:48 pm

angrygeo aren't you an AA male splitter too? You could prob. give better advice.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Lao Tzu is cool I studied Chinese in undergrad so I'm familiar with a lot of those texts. They are much better in the ancient Chinese, from what I've studied. I'm unfamiliar with Rumi and Kabir. Did you get into any Buddhism? I'm a Buddhist (see avatar) and find those teachings really compelling. One of my favorite writers is Herman Hesse, who tried to sort of bridge Western philosophy with Eastern mysticism. It was really profound for me--others may find it cheesy.

Hobbes is meh, Locke not so good, Mills and utilitarianism I found flaccid and uninspiring. I like more explosive philosophers like Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, and Dostoyevsky (writer I know). Marxism and atheism are great when times are good, but as the saying goes there are no atheists (or Marxists) in foxholes.

Back to your situation, I think applying now would be fine, if things don't go well you can always apply next year with a better score. Are you working right now?

hyakku wrote:Thanks man, I appreciate that. Ironically enough, while I haven't studied them in University, my favorite philosophers are also Oriental. Rumi and Lao Tzu top my list, followed by Kabir. Yea, technically Rumi / Kabir are poets, but I really like the mysticism type of philosophy.

Western philosophers? Perception guys I like the ideas of Thomas Reid, and my professor that I'm cool with is doing a pretty book big on him so I'm familiar with that. Politically? Bentham's a really interesting guy to me, as is Hobbes. Locke was kind of aggravating, currently getting into Mills / Rawls more so I'll let you know. Weirdly enough I got into Marx before the crisis, and watching it play out made him a lot more relevant to me.

I'm going to try to get fee waivers from as many schools as possible. I'm considering a retake in Dec., but my recent PTS were ranging from 170-175, and in the week leading up to the test I was able to break that, so a 175+ isn't guaranteed in Dec., but by Feb. with me tutoring, I'm almost positive that I will comfortably be pting at 175+. I'm considering applying now, and prayerfully I get in, and then i can try to retake in Feb. for chances at some low money. I was following your line of thought too though and figured I should probably try most of the T25, I just listed the schools I would really like to go to.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Angrygeopolitically wrote:I don't think T25 is necessary. Perhaps WUSTL and T14. ED to V would also work.

Presently bodhi I'm not working, I'm still in UG although I'm considering looking into working for a year or two while tutoring / studying to break a 175-177 in feb. I'm really just unsure of whether I should even spend time applying if there's not much chance that I even have a shot at any of the schools I'm interested in.

Also yea, Herman Hesse to me is really intriguing, loved siddhartha. Was one of my favorite books until I got into the Tao te Ching.
Last edited by hyakku on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:18 pm

i know a non-URM that got into Cornell with basically your exact numbers. I don't think there is a real reason to go much below T17 if you're not interested. I think one of MVP will bite.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Awesome LSAT. You're one of about 30 AAs in the country to get that score. I'd say into the T14 for sure, but definitely out of HYS. CCN is questionable. You're going to get into great schools, OP, but adcoms are less generous to URMs with mediocre grades than to URMs with mediocre LSATs.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:14 pm

You have a shot at every school as an AA male with a 170, IMO, so you definitely wouldn't be wasting your time. I hear your reservations about those three. I would pretty much apply T14 and WUSTL as angrygeo was suggesting, with your worst possible outcome being full ride to WUSTL. That's not bad.

Your tutoring/working plan is good. Couldn't hurt your situation.

Yeah I love Herman Hesse. Siddhartha is great, as is Glass Bead Game. But have you read Steppenwolf? That might be my favorite book ever. :)

hyakku wrote:
Angrygeopolitically wrote:I don't think T25 is necessary. Perhaps WUSTL and T14. ED to V would also work.

Thanks, if I can grab the waivers I'll do them all. While I'm interested in attending school, the only two t-14s I'm rather wary of attending is ut Austin/Georgetown and Virginia. The first two for the location, the last because almost all of my family is in VA and I've grown rather fond kind of living on my own. I'll definitely still apply though, but if it comes down to I'd rather take a year off then attend UVA just due to my family's proximity. I got your pm too.

Presently bodhi I'm not working, I'm still in UG although I'm considering looking into working for a year or two while tutoring / studying to break a 175-177 in feb. I'm really just unsure of whether I should even spend time applying if there's not much chance that I even have a shot at any of the schools I'm interested in.

Also yea, Herman Hesse to me is really intriguing, loved siddhartha. Was one of my favorite books until I got into the Tao te Ching.

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:17 pm

Steppenwolf was boring and self-indulgent.

But yes, work experience will help with the GPA.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks for all the advice all. I've decided to apply since I can't both sign up for the dec LSAT and pay for the cas. Hopefully my work experience will help. It isnt as much as a full timer, but in the capacity I've acted in I think I've done pretty well, and fortunately my CEO was kind enough to be my third rec so I'm grateful for that. I've also got some help with my PS up here and my professors that have reviewed it since have given it some solid feedback so I've done all that I can besides retaking and waiting for this semester to end for a slight gpa boost. I really appreciate the help you all have given.

Also gotta LOL at the philosophical convo going on in the background of this thread, some inception type of shit, "a thread, within a thread...within a thread!?".

I haven't read Steppenwolf, from what ive heard I think I'd enjoy it, but then again I'm self - indulgent at times lol. Not to shift gears to drastically, but have you all been through Milan kunderas Unbearable Lightness of Being? That was another one of those top ten books for me instantly.

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:28 pm

hyakku wrote:Thanks for all the advice all. I've decided to apply since I can't both sign up for the dec LSAT and pay for the cas. Hopefully my work experience will help. It isnt as much as a full timer, but in the capacity I've acted in I think I've done pretty well, and fortunately my CEO was kind enough to be my third rec so I'm grateful for that. I've also got some help with my PS up here and my professors that have reviewed it since have given it some solid feedback so I've done all that I can besides retaking and waiting for this semester to end for a slight gpa boost. I really appreciate the help you all have given.

Also gotta LOL at the philosophical convo going on in the background of this thread, some inception type of shit, "a thread, within a thread...within a thread!?".

I haven't read Steppenwolf, from what ive heard I think I'd enjoy it, but then again I'm self - indulgent at times lol. Not to shift gears to drastically, but have you all been through Milan kunderas Unbearable Lightness of Being? That was another one of those top ten books for me instantly.

What about some Orhan Pamuk or David Foster Wallace or Jorge Louis Borges....
Oh well...
Last edited by Angrygeopolitically on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:55 am

Lol maybe I'm self-indulgent too ;). And I like the thread within a thread within a thread within a thread concept. Haven't read Unbearable Lightness of Being but may check it out.

I read some Borges and didn't care much for it, haven't read any of the other two. You sound slightly angry, angrygeo lol. Maybe my taste in literature isn't on your level.

hyakku wrote:Thanks for all the advice all. I've decided to apply since I can't both sign up for the dec LSAT and pay for the cas. Hopefully my work experience will help. It isnt as much as a full timer, but in the capacity I've acted in I think I've done pretty well, and fortunately my CEO was kind enough to be my third rec so I'm grateful for that. I've also got some help with my PS up here and my professors that have reviewed it since have given it some solid feedback so I've done all that I can besides retaking and waiting for this semester to end for a slight gpa boost. I really appreciate the help you all have given.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:06 pm

hyakku wrote:Thanks man, I appreciate that. Ironically enough, while I haven't studied them in University, my favorite philosophers are also Oriental. Rumi and Lao Tzu top my list, followed by Kabir. Yea, technically Rumi / Kabir are poets, but I really like the mysticism type of philosophy.

My favs too.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Anything under a 171 doesn't cut it.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:21 pm

hmm you have convinced me to check them out

jim-green wrote:

My favs too.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:28 pm

89vision wrote:Anything under a 171 doesn't cut it.

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

OP if you are really committed to attending one of Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Berkeley, or Chicago I'd ED to NYU NOW. You'll probably get in assuming your essays are good. But honestly, I would strongly consider just applying to the top 25 as you'll probably get into UVA, Michigan, Duke etc. with decent scholarship money. But this depends on your goals. Frankly, though since it sounds like you're from VA or at least the South I'd attend UVA or Duke with scholarship money if I were you. That way, if your 1L grades don't turn out well you will still have a good shot at a great job in the South. If I'm wrong about where you're from, or you are dead set on working in NYC ED to NYU.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Last edited by hyakku on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonton

Postby tonton » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:27 pm

vulpixie wrote:Awesome LSAT. You're one of about 30 AAs in the country to get that score.

Do you have actual facts to back that up?

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:27 pm

tonton wrote:
vulpixie wrote:Awesome LSAT. You're one of about 30 AAs in the country to get that score.

Do you have actual facts to back that up?

I sure do: http://www.jbhe.com/latest/news/3-23-06/lsat.html

"In 2004, 10,370 blacks took the LSAT examination. Only 29 blacks, or 0.3 percent of all LSAT test takers, scored 170 or above. In contrast, more than 1,900 white test takers scored 170 or above on the LSAT. They made up 3.1 percent of all white test takers. Thus whites were more than 10 times as likely as blacks to score 170 or above on the LSAT."

This information used to be available on LSAC's official website, but was subsequently "cleansed" by the PC-police: --LinkRemoved--

You can probably still access that page using the WayBackMachine, if you're so inclined.

Return to “What are my chances?”