3.84/170 LGBT (3-time LSATer...) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
indigomachine

Bronze

3.84/170 LGBT (3-time LSATer...)

Post by indigomachine » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:39 am

Hey everyone,

Finally diving in. After lurking out of laziness for a while finally decided to sign up and dive in, and hopefully relieve some admissions stress... (or do the opposite O_o)

I think my LSDAS GPA is going to be a 3.84 (did out the math a bit ago)

LSAT is a tricky situation: I took it once as a sophomore got very sick, intended to cancel but the LSAC screwed up and I ended up having to keep the awful score because they wouldn't reverse it. It's explained in my addendum and I don't think it'll be a huge issue. What I am more concerned about is that I have a 167 followed by a 170. I had been averaging mid-high 170s on timed PTs and explain this in my addendum hoping that they'll consider the 170 as more representative, but I'm worried they won't take my word for it :( I'm debating whether or not to also include that I do better in classes than standardized tests indicate. I have SAT evidence but it's tricky because I did awesome in verbal but below my institutions bottom percentiles in math for admitted students, yet have all A's and A-'s in math / math-based classes at my school.

Softs: LGBT w/ a diversity statement, what I am pretty sure will be 3 very personalized rec letters (all 3 know me very well in very different ways, all from my uni), lot of area specific social science research at some top institutions directly related to the area I want to go to in law, single parent family and first person in my family to pursue a professional degree / one of two to pursue a grad degree

School specific soft: PT @ Duke.

Mostly concerned about my chances at NYU / Columbia. Would really like to live / study / work in NYC and both schools are great for the fields of law I am interested in. I'm worried about the fact that, even though the first score was supposed to be cancelled, it's still 3 LSATs, and I'm concerned about the proximity of my 167 and 170. Apparently Duke didn't care since I got a PT invite, but idk... NYU / Columbia seem stricter on their LSAT policies.

Thanks all :) GL to everyone who is applying right now. We're gonna rock this cycle ;)

Grizz

Diamond

Re: 3.84/170 LGBT (3-time LSATer...)

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:56 am

Don't write that LSAT addendum. No one cares. Your highest score counts. LGBT is meh. Vanilla applicant.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:05 am

Thx for the reply. Have to include the addendum anyways because the gap between the first score and the other two is massive (think 25+pts). Can't just let that one slide.

NYU at least claims to average. Not positive on Columbia, but think they do too...

edit: Not sure if this matters or not, but have other strong resume softs, but rather than totally call myself out as an applicant for any lurking adcoms, would be happy to instead PM. A bit new to this, so not really sure what counts as a "strong soft" once you get out of "I save children from burning buildings every week" and more in the realm of "cool stuff on my resume." Bear with me on this please :)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:54 am

indigomachine wrote: NYU at least claims to average. Not positive on Columbia, but think they do too...
Look at LSN. They don't really.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:05 am

I'll take your word for it. Hope you're right anyways :) I did check out LSN before and it still seems to peg me at around 50/50 (lower range, but still in range LSAT + higher end gpa)

I guess what I'm moreso wondering about is how much good resume softs can factor into shifting the balance of that 50/50. It's just hard to list stuff here without kind of giving away key identifying details. Like I said, not even sure if my stuff "counts" as good resume softs or just "pretty standard decent resume / WE"

Mind if I PM? Just to get some guidance on this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:06 am

indigomachine wrote:I'll take your word for it. Hope you're right anyways :) I did check out LSN before and it still seems to peg me at around 50/50 (lower range, but still in range LSAT + higher end gpa)

I guess what I'm moreso wondering about is how much good resume softs can factor into shifting the balance of that 50/50. It's just hard to list stuff here without kind of giving away key identifying details. Like I said, not even sure if my stuff "counts" as good resume softs or just "pretty standard decent resume / WE"

Mind if I PM? Just to get some guidance on this point.
Sure why not.

Bodhi_mind

Bronze

Post by Bodhi_mind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:38 am

NYU/Columbia is shaky because of your LSAT. And retake isn't an option so hmmm. Below the T6 you will do really well. :)

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:29 am

Sorry to push on this a little, but by shaky, are you thinking 50/50 as LSN would suggest or slightly worse? much worse?

Thanks again! Mind if I also PM you with the same softs I mentioned with Grizz? (like I said, I just don't want to identify myself by being too resume specific.)

Bodhi_mind

Bronze

Post by Bodhi_mind » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Yeah go ahead and do that. Without knowing more, I would say less than 50/50. Maybe 35/65.
indigomachine wrote:Sorry to push on this a little, but by shaky, are you thinking 50/50 as LSN would suggest or slightly worse? much worse?

Thanks again! Mind if I also PM you with the same softs I mentioned with Grizz? (like I said, I just don't want to identify myself by being too resume specific.)

vulpixie

Bronze

Post by vulpixie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:03 pm

No schools actually average LSAT scores. None. Your highest score is *all* that matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”