Tell me where to apply

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
EMZE

Tell me where to apply

Postby EMZE » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Tell me where I should apply. I would be happy anywhere except the midwest and the south (mid-atlantic is cool). After law school I hope to work with the government, DoS or DoJ, something along those lines. [edit of personal info]

I have a :
3.4 GPA from [a military academy]
167 LSAT
Unique softs beyond just being a veteran, hard to compare sans specifics, but desirable things that I can say with 99% confidence I am the only law school applicant with them.
[edit of specifc softs]

I know my numbers are weak, but I hope my softs are strong enough to nudge me up a little. I know other veterans are applying, but I think I am a little more unique than the average.

Thoughts?
Last edited by EMZE on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citykitty

Re: Tell me where to apply

Postby citykitty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Solid, not stellar numbers, strong softs. Blanket the top 20 or so that you'd be willing to attend. Write a killer PS.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 pm

I would not only apply in the top 20. Id apply like 12-35.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:33 am

How were your practice tests? Any chance you could retake? If not I like the idea or blanketing 12-35 and seeing where your chips fall. Thanks for your service

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:47 pm

With the full ride to public schools available I would look harder at state law schools (but that's just me). If you don't mind the west coast UC Davis and UCLA might be a good match. As for private schools, especially considering you mentioned you like the idea of living in the mid-Atlantic, George Washington and Georgetown are worth an app. Maybe an ED to Georgetown if you really want to live/work in that region? The "no southern and no midwestern schools" requirement takes away a lot of good fits (number wise) but the aforementioned schools might be a good match.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:56 pm

EMZE wrote:Money is not a factor, as I am receiving a pension (50k/yr), will get 17.5k per year for any private school, full ride for any public school, and 1.5k a month for living expenses (GI bill)

Dont forget about the yellow ribbon program for private schools.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Bodhi_mind wrote:How were your practice tests? Any chance you could retake? If not I like the idea or blanketing 12-35 and seeing where your chips fall. Thanks for your service

I am going to see where my numbers get me this cycle. If its nowhere I want, I am going to retake next year. In the meantime, I am going to blanket the top 20. All told though, I am stationed at Fort Carson CO, I LOVE Colorado, and am wondering if I should just stick with the best regional school and attend CU

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:44 pm

sach1282 wrote:With the full ride to public schools available I would look harder at state law schools (but that's just me). If you don't mind the west coast UC Davis and UCLA might be a good match. As for private schools, especially considering you mentioned you like the idea of living in the mid-Atlantic, George Washington and Georgetown are worth an app. Maybe an ED to Georgetown if you really want to live/work in that region? The "no southern and no midwestern schools" requirement takes away a lot of good fits (number wise) but the aforementioned schools might be a good match.

Maybe to UCLA. I don't think I would attend UC davis if I were accepted. It would just break my heart to be so close to Berkeley and not attend.

Hoping for a cinderella story.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Sounds like a good plan, good luck!

EMZE wrote:
Bodhi_mind wrote:How were your practice tests? Any chance you could retake? If not I like the idea or blanketing 12-35 and seeing where your chips fall. Thanks for your service

I am going to see where my numbers get me this cycle. If its nowhere I want, I am going to retake next year. In the meantime, I am going to blanket the top 20. All told though, I am stationed at Fort Carson CO, I LOVE Colorado, and am wondering if I should just stick with the best regional school and attend CU

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm

Updating to say that I am in at GULC and Berk. Cinderella story pulled off!

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Berkeley? Heck yea! Way to go!

soj

Postby soj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Congrats, EMZE! I hope there's yet more good news coming your way.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:33 pm

soj wrote:Congrats, EMZE! I hope there's yet more good news coming your way.

Thank you Soj. Especially for your help along the way! If the rest of my cycle ended tomorrow with rejections from everywhere else, I would still be happy. And not that I wasn't happy with GULC, but it's nice to have options on both coasts :D

Return to “What are my chances?”