Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jswan
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby jswan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:55 am

What do you guys/gals think?

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:12 am

I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:14 am

Curious1 wrote:I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA.


Don't see a big diff b/w UVA & Duke honestly. Columbia/NYU would not be as likely to take a 3.3, especially in ED.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:21 am

tennisking88 wrote:
Curious1 wrote:I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA.


Don't see a big diff b/w UVA & Duke honestly. Columbia/NYU would not be as likely to take a 3.3, especially in ED.


Um no.

Columbia might be a stretch b/c GPA, but you should ED to NYU, which is easier to get into. If you fail, then RD to UVA and Duke (+the other lower T14).

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:30 am

Curious1 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
Curious1 wrote:I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA.


Don't see a big diff b/w UVA & Duke honestly. Columbia/NYU would not be as likely to take a 3.3, especially in ED.


Um no.

Columbia might be a stretch b/c GPA, but you should ED to NYU, which is easier to get into. If you fail, then RD to UVA and Duke (+the other lower T14).


This is really stupid. Columbia and NYU have almost identical GPA/LSAT margins. Why on earth would he have a better chance at NYU.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:33 am

jswan wrote:What do you guys/gals think?


There's hope: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/booboohead/jd, http://lawschoolnumbers.com/soviet1/jd

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby top30man » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:33 am

This is really stupid. Columbia and NYU have almost identical GPA/LSAT margins. Why on earth would he have a better chance at NYU.

False. NYU is more splitter forgiving scores above a 173. Look at LSN.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:37 am

top30man wrote:
This is really stupid. Columbia and NYU have almost identical GPA/LSAT margins. Why on earth would he have a better chance at NYU.

False. NYU is more splitter forgiving scores above a 173. Look at LSN.


I'm looking at LSN and I see this http://lawschoolnumbers.com/piccolittle/jd, and no one who went ED to NYU with his #s be admitted.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

tennisking88 wrote:
top30man wrote:
This is really stupid. Columbia and NYU have almost identical GPA/LSAT margins. Why on earth would he have a better chance at NYU.

False. NYU is more splitter forgiving scores above a 173. Look at LSN.


I'm looking at LSN and I see this http://lawschoolnumbers.com/piccolittle/jd, and no one who went ED to NYU with his #s be admitted.


Right because one counterexample proves an entire pattern wrong.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Curious1 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
top30man wrote:
This is really stupid. Columbia and NYU have almost identical GPA/LSAT margins. Why on earth would he have a better chance at NYU.

False. NYU is more splitter forgiving scores above a 173. Look at LSN.


I'm looking at LSN and I see this http://lawschoolnumbers.com/piccolittle/jd, and no one who went ED to NYU with his #s be admitted.


Right because one counterexample proves an entire pattern wrong.


What pattern? You have no proof

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 am

I'm not talking generally, I'm talking specifically about ED. And there's not enough information for you guys to conclusively give advice on that. All I'm sayin

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:42 am

What pattern? You have no proof


Look at the LSN graphs. There are many more waitlist/rejects in the >175 <3.5 category at Columbia than NYU. Also NYU is bigger, so it automatically has to have more people below their 25th percentile (because that's how percentiles work).

Also Columbia is a better school, so we like to think it's harder to get in to.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:45 am

Curious1 wrote:
What pattern? You have no proof


Look at the LSN graphs. There are many more waitlist/rejects in the >175 <3.5 category at Columbia than NYU. Also NYU is bigger, so it automatically has to have more people below their 25th percentile (because that's how percentiles work).

Also Columbia is a better school, so we like to think it's harder to get in to.


I think people generally should not listen to what you have to say.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 am

tennisking88 wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
What pattern? You have no proof


Look at the LSN graphs. There are many more waitlist/rejects in the >175 <3.5 category at Columbia than NYU. Also NYU is bigger, so it automatically has to have more people below their 25th percentile (because that's how percentiles work).

Also Columbia is a better school, so we like to think it's harder to get in to.


I think people generally should not listen to what you have to say.


What?

I'm assuming you have a massive NYU-inferiority complex because you go there? It's a fantastic school, and is generally on par with Columbia...but its easier to get into than Columbia. Sorry to burst your bubble.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby top30man » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:54 am

What?

I'm assuming you have a massive NYU-inferiority complex because you go there? It's a fantastic school, and is generally on par with Columbia...but its easier to get into than Columbia. Sorry to burst your bubble.

This. And its just a chances thread, NYU has a better chance for OP. Thats all he said.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:23 am

Curious1 wrote:I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA


LOL. If you like Duke more than UVA, do not ED to UVA. They are peer schools and, honestly, a lot of the recent employment data suggests Duke may be doing better. Curiouser goes strictly by the rankings. If Cooley jumped up to the T5, he would attend in a heartbeat because US News told him it was a great school.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:32 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:LOL. If you like Duke more than UVA, do not ED to UVA.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby top30man » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:37 am

They are peer schools and, honestly, a lot of the recent employment data suggests Duke may be doing better. Curiouser goes strictly by the rankings. If Cooley jumped up to the T5, he would attend in a heartbeat because US News told him it was a great school.

I think he was saying in terms of biglaw placement. Though I know that may be skewed due to less biglaw firms in the south (ala Vandy).

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:29 pm

I
top30man wrote:
They are peer schools and, honestly, a lot of the recent employment data suggests Duke may be doing better. Curiouser goes strictly by the rankings. If Cooley jumped up to the T5, he would attend in a heartbeat because US News told him it was a great school.

I think he was saying in terms of biglaw placement. Though I know that may be skewed due to less biglaw firms in the south (ala Vandy).


I am saying that Duke's BigLaw placement is often times equal or better than UVA's.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Curious1 wrote:I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA.

Why would he ED to UVA if he likes Duke more? UVA is not really a better school. Also, he has almost no shot at NYU/Columbia with those numbers.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Curious1 wrote:I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA.

Why would he ED to UVA if he likes Duke more? UVA is not really a better school. Also, he has almost no shot at NYU/Columbia with those numbers.
lawyerwannabe wrote:Curiouser goes strictly by the rankings. If Cooley jumped up to the T5, he would attend in a heartbeat because US News told him it was a great school.


My post sums up who Curiouser is and his lack of knowing things beyond the number next to a school in the rankings.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby dakure » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:36 pm

God you guys are retarded.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

He's probably not getting into nyu.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Curious1 wrote:I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA.

Why would he ED to UVA if he likes Duke more? UVA is not really a better school. Also, he has almost no shot at NYU/Columbia with those numbers.


Really? I thought NYU/CLS's GPA floor was about a 3.3.

And even if Duke is basically the same as UVA it still makes no sense to ED to either, because he has the numbers to RD to both. So why not ED to a school he has a slim chance of getting into RD like NYU or Columbia?

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Curious1 wrote:I think it's not a wise decision to ED to Duke when you could potentially ED to Columbia/NYU, or at least UVA.

Why would he ED to UVA if he likes Duke more? UVA is not really a better school. Also, he has almost no shot at NYU/Columbia with those numbers.


Really? I thought NYU/CLS's GPA floor was about a 3.3.

And even if Duke is basically the same as UVA it still makes no sense to ED to either, because he has the numbers to RD to both. So why not ED to a school he has a slim chance of getting into RD like NYU or Columbia?


UGH because ED DOES NOT HELP SPLITTERS.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke ED Round II 3.3 176

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:31 pm

UGH because ED DOES NOT HELP SPLITTERS.


Calm down child.

And ED definitely DOES help splitters at UVA. More reason to ED there, but he doesn't need it because he can get in RD.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests