Splitter 3.25/175

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
evian1212
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Splitter 3.25/175

Postby evian1212 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Went to Dartmouth for Undergrad/ Will have 2 years of working experience by the time I start school. Average softs (strong leadership, president of a few organizations, volunteered at the hospital) Average - good LOR's

Chances at Columbia ED?
Chicago ED?
NYU ED?
Penn ED?

Where can I get in regular decision? Thanks! Already got into georgetown so far, and have already submitted apps in the middle of september.

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Splitter 3.25/175

Postby American_in_China » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:03 am

evian1212 wrote:Went to Dartmouth for Undergrad/ Will have 2 years of working experience by the time I start school. Average softs (strong leadership, president of a few organizations, volunteered at the hospital) Average - good LOR's

Chances at Columbia ED?
Chicago ED?
NYU ED?
Penn ED?

Where can I get in regular decision? Thanks! Already got into georgetown so far, and have already submitted apps in the middle of september.


No.
Very Small.
Maybe.
Probably.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Splitter 3.25/175

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:11 am

I'd ED to NYU if I were you. Search NYU and Penn by ED applicants for a better look at your chances

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Splitter 3.25/175

Postby Tim0thy222 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:28 am

JamMasterJ wrote:I'd ED to NYU if I were you. Search NYU and Penn by ED applicants for a better look at your chances


OP, I have similar numbers to you (177/3.2) and I am going the ED to NYU route, however I am probably not making the rational choice. I'm doing it because I really want to be in NYC for law school, and I think NYC and NYU will both be a much better fit for me than just about anywhere else.

Looking at the facts though, it's really hard to tell if NYU ED will work (odds kind of seem against it), whereas there is lots of evidence that you'll be in at Penn, which is arguably just as good of a school with just as good of employment prospects.

ETA: just to clarify, my basis for the claim that Penn's employment prospects are just as good as NYU is pretty much only lawschooltransparency.com, NLJ 250 placement rankings, and searching TLS, so take it with a grain of salt.

evian1212
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Splitter 3.25/175

Postby evian1212 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:11 pm

I am deciding between NYU and Penn, but is Columbia really completely out? Especially in light of the large drop in october test-takers? It seems like in 02-03 through 07-08, they took a few people with 175 and 3.3s. Would 3.25 be a bit too low?


Tim0thy222 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'd ED to NYU if I were you. Search NYU and Penn by ED applicants for a better look at your chances


OP, I have similar numbers to you (177/3.2) and I am going the ED to NYU route, however I am probably not making the rational choice. I'm doing it because I really want to be in NYC for law school, and I think NYC and NYU will both be a much better fit for me than just about anywhere else.

Looking at the facts though, it's really hard to tell if NYU ED will work (odds kind of seem against it), whereas there is lots of evidence that you'll be in at Penn, which is arguably just as good of a school with just as good of employment prospects.

ETA: just to clarify, my basis for the claim that Penn's employment prospects are just as good as NYU is pretty much only lawschooltransparency.com, NLJ 250 placement rankings, and searching TLS, so take it with a grain of salt.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Splitter 3.25/175

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 pm

evian1212 wrote:I am deciding between NYU and Penn, but is Columbia really completely out? Especially in light of the large drop in october test-takers? It seems like in 02-03 through 07-08, they took a few people with 175 and 3.3s. Would 3.25 be a bit too low?


Tim0thy222 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'd ED to NYU if I were you. Search NYU and Penn by ED applicants for a better look at your chances


OP, I have similar numbers to you (177/3.2) and I am going the ED to NYU route, however I am probably not making the rational choice. I'm doing it because I really want to be in NYC for law school, and I think NYC and NYU will both be a much better fit for me than just about anywhere else.

Looking at the facts though, it's really hard to tell if NYU ED will work (odds kind of seem against it), whereas there is lots of evidence that you'll be in at Penn, which is arguably just as good of a school with just as good of employment prospects.

ETA: just to clarify, my basis for the claim that Penn's employment prospects are just as good as NYU is pretty much only lawschooltransparency.com, NLJ 250 placement rankings, and searching TLS, so take it with a grain of salt.

If you want T6, NYU ED is TCR. Columbia is going to have a bigger issue with your gpa that NYU will. Also, the thing about Penn's placement being as good as NYU's is not exactly accurate. NYU grads self-select PI a lot which somewhat invalidates the numbers

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Splitter 3.25/175

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote: Also, the thing about Penn's placement being as good as NYU's is not exactly accurate. NYU grads self-select PI a lot which somewhat invalidates the numbers


That makes a lot of sense and is good to know. I don't think I'm going into PI, but I do think I'd enjoy being at a school with a PI slant like NYU, as opposed to a school that is so business focused like Penn.

Also, OP, you may want to consider how you'd feel about ED to UVA if you get rejected from your first ED. If you like the idea of UVA (I sure do), then you may be willing to gamble a bit more with your first ED. The late ED to UVA is in no way a lock, since a lot of people say that they pick up their splitters early, and there's not a lot of data on what happens to a late ED to UVA splitter. I think the odds are pretty good though, and it's a nice option to have if you get rejected from your first ED.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests