T-14 specific

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
emkay625

T-14 specific

Postby emkay625 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:08 pm

So I was planning on applying to 35 schools, but now am considering blanketing the top-14 from #7 on down, plus WUSTL, Vanderbilt, and SMU/UH. (I'm from Texas). Is this a smart or a dumb decision?

173/3.23
non URM, 4 years WE, 2 of which is TFA

So I guess I'm asking chance me at:
Penn
Michigan
UVA
Cornell
Duke
Georgetown
Northwestern
Texas
WUSTL
Vanderbilt
SMU
UH

bk1

Re: T-14 specific

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:16 pm

At 1k posts you should know better than to a post a thread rather than doing your own LSN research (which, shockingly enough, is what everyone's answers will be based on).

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:19 pm

bk1 wrote:At 1k posts you should know better than to a post a thread rather than doing your own LSN research (which, shockingly enough, is what everyone's answers will be based on).

Thanks for the insight.

Specifically, i'm asking is it a stupid decision to pull the majority of safeties from my list.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Are you planning on EDing anywhere?

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Schang1 wrote:Are you planning on EDing anywhere?

Yes - NW but I know that because of the full-ride attached to ED that it's a long shot. Don't want to ED to UVA because I'm married and would be worried about my husband finding a job in a small town.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm

You may be admitted ED to NU due to High LSAT score & TFA.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 pm

emkay625 wrote:Specifically, i'm asking is it a stupid decision to pull the majority of safeties from my list.

As a splitter you're in a bind since you won't get scholarships to most regional schools so you can't really play them off each other.

If you'd be content with a T14 at sticker I think it's a fine decision since you've got a decent shot at nabbing at least 1. You're also semi-fortunate that SMU/UH are much more likely (iirc) to give you a large scholarship than other regional schools.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Specifically, i'm asking is it a stupid decision to pull the majority of safeties from my list.

As a splitter you're in a bind since you won't get scholarships to most regional schools so you can't really play them off each other.

If you'd be content with a T14 at sticker I think it's a fine decision since you've got a decent shot at nabbing at least 1. You're also semi-fortunate that SMU/UH are much more likely (iirc) to give you a large scholarship than other regional schools.

This was my thought and why I pulled a lot of them from the list. I'm just worried about not getting admitted anywhere.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:49 pm

emkay625 wrote:This was my thought and why I pulled a lot of them from the list. I'm just worried about not getting admitted anywhere.

That is possible, but unlikely. The thing is that even if you added safeties it's not like you would get money from them, meaning that admittance to them would be worthless since they wouldn't be worth attending without money.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 pm

I've seen your previous posts and see where you're coming from :)

Pray to the Buddha or whatever you believe in for Northwestern ED! Beyond that I like your chances at Midwest schools for a full ride, if that's what you're looking for and your husband will be happy there. Good luck!

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:25 am

Bodhi_mind wrote:I've seen your previous posts and see where you're coming from :)

Pray to the Buddha or whatever you believe in for Northwestern ED! Beyond that I like your chances at Midwest schools for a full ride, if that's what you're looking for and your husband will be happy there. Good luck!

Thanks!

I'm not looking for a full ride - looking to maximize rank. Still same advice?

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Northwestern definitely then. It seems like a crapshoot other than that, but you will probably end up with something good.

emkay625 wrote:
Bodhi_mind wrote:I've seen your previous posts and see where you're coming from :)

Thanks!

I'm not looking for a full ride - looking to maximize rank. Still same advice?

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Couldn't you get into U Penn with your numbers if you EDed there? :) Or was U Penn another place you didn't want to ED at?

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Schang1 wrote:Couldn't you get into U Penn with your numbers if you EDed there? :) Or was U Penn another place you didn't want to ED at?

+1 Decent shot at Penn if you ED imo.

NU ED with a 173 may be a waste at this point since the chatter is that for the full ride, they're looking for CCN numbers (which you're GPA is holding you back from) and I think you have a good shot at getting into NU RD. So ED NU would be a bit of a waste since they'll likely hold->accept you anyways while an ED at Penn could bump you in. Looking at NU's LSN graph, there aren't too many data points for your situation but the ones there are mostly green with one yellow scattered in there per year (possibly weak softs/no WE).

I think it comes down to the question of whether you like NU enough to not take a shot at Penn. Just my 2cents.

*Disclaimer* I did ED to NU day 1 before the new policy was announced because I think the school is a good fit for me.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Couldn't you get into U Penn with your numbers if you EDed there? :) Or was U Penn another place you didn't want to ED at?

+1 Decent shot at Penn if you ED imo.

NU ED with a 173 may be a waste at this point since the chatter is that for the full ride, they're looking for CCN numbers (which you're GPA is holding you back from) and I think you have a good shot at getting into NU RD. So ED NU would be a bit of a waste since they'll likely hold->accept you anyways while an ED at Penn could bump you in. Looking at NU's LSN graph, there aren't too many data points for your situation but the ones there are mostly green with one yellow scattered in there per year (possibly weak softs/no WE).

I think it comes down to the question of whether you like NU enough to not take a shot at Penn. Just my 2cents.

*Disclaimer* I did ED to NU day 1 before the new policy was announced because I think the school is a good fit for me.

I think the OP really wants to go to NU. I think your numbers would get you money from NU :)

Return to “What are my chances?”