Will my softs change my cycle at all?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
franklyscarlet

Will my softs change my cycle at all?

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 am

Hi everyone,

I'm almost embarrassed to be making a chances thread, but I figure I'll quit annoying the lounge with my questions. I have a 168/3.5, which are some pretty bland numbers. I've taken the last twice and due to work obligations can't do another retake in December, so 168 is it. My question is: will somewhat important softs change my cycle at all? I'm TFA, and "other Hispanic," (a naturalized citizen) and I'm unclear on how those type of factors affect an admissions cycle. Would anyone mind taking a look at my list? (keep in mind, I have TFA fee waivers so I know many of these schools are reaches).

NU (Ed)
Cornell
Duke
Vandy
UVA
Georgetown
Wustl
Bu
Bc
GW
W&M
UNC

Anything to add? Thoughts on how softs might affect this cycle (my thought right now is not at all)...

Strange

Re: Will my softs change my cycle at all?

Postby Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:59 am

TFA will definitely help.

For "other hispanic" (welcome to the family) :D see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=133626&start=250

You best chance is WUSTL and BU, both of which are great schools. The top 5 you list will be very difficult.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Northwestern loves TFA. Your work experience & TFA should make as strong of an impact as softs can make.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Your numbers aren't that bad. Throw an app at Michigan. We seem to weigh soft factors a little more than others and your numbers are above our 25th (at least LSAT)...GPA may be at.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks everyone! I completely forgot, but michigan is on my list. The top of my list are definitely insane reaches, but worth the $16 to give it a try, at least, since the app is free. Does anyone have experience with a tfa cycle? I was pretty disappointed in myself in October for not breaking 170, and essentially had considered NU and Michigan off the table.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Strange wrote:TFA will definitely help.

For "other hispanic" (welcome to the family) :D see this thread:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=250

You best chance is WUSTL and BU, both of which are great schools. The top 5 you list will be very difficult.

thanks! I'm a wustl alum so I'm hoping that will help as well.

butchcassidy

Postby butchcassidy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm almost embarrassed to be making a chances thread, but I figure I'll quit annoying the lounge with my questions. I have a 168/3.5, which are some pretty bland numbers. I've taken the last twice and due to work obligations can't do another retake in December, so 168 is it. My question is: will somewhat important softs change my cycle at all? I'm TFA, and "other Hispanic," (a naturalized citizen) and I'm unclear on how those type of factors affect an admissions cycle. Would anyone mind taking a look at my list? (keep in mind, I have TFA fee waivers so I know many of these schools are reaches).

NU (Ed) in
Cornell in
Duke in
Vandy in
UVA in
Georgetown in
Wustl in
Bu in
Bc in
GW in
W&M in
UNC in

ALL WITH $$$$$

Anything to add? Thoughts on how softs might affect this cycle (my thought right now is not at all)...

:wink:

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:38 pm

butchcassidy wrote:
:wink:

hey boy hey

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Thanks everyone! I completely forgot, but michigan is on my list. The top of my list are definitely insane reaches, but worth the $16 to give it a try, at least, since the app is free. Does anyone have experience with a tfa cycle? I was pretty disappointed in myself in October for not breaking 170, and essentially had considered NU and Michigan off the table.

I have been wondering the same thing Scarlet.

I think it would be helpful for next year's class if we created a "super softs" thread to track our cycles - TFA, Peace Corps, military service, etc., so people could look and see if it impacts cycles at all. Maybe list our info and link to our LSN profile. (Do you have an LSN profile?)

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 pm

emkay625 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Thanks everyone! I completely forgot, but michigan is on my list. The top of my list are definitely insane reaches, but worth the $16 to give it a try, at least, since the app is free. Does anyone have experience with a tfa cycle? I was pretty disappointed in myself in October for not breaking 170, and essentially had considered NU and Michigan off the table.

I have been wondering the same thing Scarlet.

I think it would be helpful for next year's class if we created a "super softs" thread to track our cycles - TFA, Peace Corps, military service, etc., so people could look and see if it impacts cycles at all. Maybe list our info and link to our LSN profile. (Do you have an LSN profile?)

I do! same name. This is a great idea and I'd be in on it.

Return to “What are my chances?”