173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PBJones
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:00 pm

173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby PBJones » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Applying next cycle. I realize that with my current LSAT I don’t have a chance at Columbia, but I’m considering retaking in December for a shot at a 175 (my PT average is 177).

I think I have fairly impressive softs: Non-URM diversity (Arab Hispanic) with a compelling DS; triple-major (phil, math and econ); publications in three academic journals; several months of work experience with a well-known midwestern financial company; strong letters of reccomendation; unique volunteer work.

I’m mainly interested in what y’all think my chances at Chicago are like, since their LSN acceptances look so spurious. Thanks for your advice!
Last edited by PBJones on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Why would you think your LSAT will keep you out of Columbia? It's above their median. Your GPA is only slightly below median and you seem to have pretty decent softs. I'd actually say you have a >50% shot at Columbia.

EDIT: Also, you're pretty close to a lock at NYU. Chicago is the hardest to predict of the three I think, because of its size. Make sure to apply early and tailor your app and you'll probably be fine there too.

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby vulpixie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Well, from their LSN page, it looks like the OP would need a 175 to have a high chance at acceptance given that his GPA is below their median.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby dakure » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:18 pm


vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby vulpixie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Look at the graph. The only place where Green outnumbers Red/Yellow along the 3.6 axis is at 175.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:24 pm

vulpixie wrote:Well, from their LSN page, it looks like the OP would need a 175 to have a high chance at acceptance given that his GPA is below their median.
His GPA is barely below median. A 175 or higher would pretty much guarantee a Columbia acceptance. As it is I think he has at least a 50/50 shot. It's tough to judge by the LSN graph because all the little dots pile on top of each other. According to the (admittedly old) data on hourumd he has an 82% chance.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby dakure » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:24 pm

vulpixie wrote:Look at the graph. The only place where Green outnumbers Red/Yellow along the 3.6 axis is at 175.

Look at the actual data points. Who cares about the graph. Look at the data and interpret it yourself. You're not 12. You don't need a visual cue anymore.

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
vulpixie wrote:Well, from their LSN page, it looks like the OP would need a 175 to have a high chance at acceptance given that his GPA is below their median.
His GPA is barely below median. A 175 or higher would pretty much guarantee a Columbia acceptance. As it is I think he has at least a 50/50 shot. It's tough to judge by the LSN graph because all the little dots pile on top of each other. According to the (admittedly old) data on hourumd he has an 82% chance.


http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

LOOK AT THE ACTUAL DATA POINTS

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:35 pm

dakure wrote:
vulpixie wrote:Look at the graph. The only place where Green outnumbers Red/Yellow along the 3.6 axis is at 175.

Look at the actual data points. Who cares about the graph. Look at the data and interpret it yourself. You're not 12. You don't need a visual cue anymore.

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
vulpixie wrote:Well, from their LSN page, it looks like the OP would need a 175 to have a high chance at acceptance given that his GPA is below their median.
His GPA is barely below median. A 175 or higher would pretty much guarantee a Columbia acceptance. As it is I think he has at least a 50/50 shot. It's tough to judge by the LSN graph because all the little dots pile on top of each other. According to the (admittedly old) data on hourumd he has an 82% chance.


http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

LOOK AT THE ACTUAL DATA POINTS
I see the actual data points. Of the ten people there who actually reported an acceptance or WL four got in. It's a pretty small sample size, but I think it supports the notion that the OP ought not to lose all hope of getting in.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby dakure » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:37 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
dakure wrote:
vulpixie wrote:Look at the graph. The only place where Green outnumbers Red/Yellow along the 3.6 axis is at 175.

Look at the actual data points. Who cares about the graph. Look at the data and interpret it yourself. You're not 12. You don't need a visual cue anymore.

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
vulpixie wrote:Well, from their LSN page, it looks like the OP would need a 175 to have a high chance at acceptance given that his GPA is below their median.
His GPA is barely below median. A 175 or higher would pretty much guarantee a Columbia acceptance. As it is I think he has at least a 50/50 shot. It's tough to judge by the LSN graph because all the little dots pile on top of each other. According to the (admittedly old) data on hourumd he has an 82% chance.


http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

LOOK AT THE ACTUAL DATA POINTS
I see the actual data points. Of the ten people there who actually reported an acceptance or WL four got in. It's a pretty small sample size, but I think it supports the notion that the OP ought not to lose all hope of getting in.

Thats not 50-50.

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby vulpixie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:38 pm

dakure wrote:You're not 12. You don't need a visual cue anymore.


:(

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:42 pm

dakure wrote:Thats not 50-50.
It's a tiny sample size. The actual percentage of people with roughly OP's numbers who got in last year might be considerably higher or lower. All I said was that it supported the notion that OP has some chance at getting in. He seemed to have all but given up.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby dakure » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:22 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
dakure wrote:Thats not 50-50.
It's a tiny sample size. The actual percentage of people with roughly OP's numbers who got in last year might be considerably higher or lower. All I said was that it supported the notion that OP has some chance at getting in. He seemed to have all but given up.

Look at the CLS-TLS data from last year which adds to that data set. Everything seems to be pointing in the same direction.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 173, 3.65 chances at CCN

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 pm

dakure wrote:Do you people know how to read LSN?

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, massappeal and 1 guest