Where does an engineer ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
juzam_djinn

Where does an engineer ED?

Postby juzam_djinn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:40 am

Last edited by juzam_djinn on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Re: Where does an engineer ED?

Postby bdubs » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:59 am

Don't ED UCLA. You will probably get into Northwestern and Georgetown RD. The ED question is a little harder. I would suggest Penn or UVA. I think a lot of people who end up EDing with low 3 gpas don't have an engineering degree from MIT. I think that would give you a pretty good soft boost in an ED review. Still unlikely to get CCN, so definitely something in the MVP range (and M isn't as friendly to ED as P or V).

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:28 am

Thanks so much for your insight and advice! Just to clarify your opinion on not ED'ing to UCLA, is that because you think it's unlikely with their emphasis on GPA, or is it because you think there are just better options in the T-14?

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:49 am

juzam_djinn wrote:Thanks so much for your insight and advice! Just to clarify your opinion on not ED'ing to UCLA, is that because you think it's unlikely with their emphasis on GPA, or is it because you think there are just better options in the T-14?

Don't ED UCLA because they want GPA and it's very unlikely AND you have better options in T14.

You have to ED somewhere. You're best shot is UVA, which gives ED a big boost. It's not a guarantee but it's still good.
Since you have WE, you should apply to NU, maybe ED. They started a new policy of giving full schollys to ED acceptances this year, so we don't know how this will affect admissions (most likely will make it more competitive). So if I were you, I'd apply GU and NU RD like the other poster said.

You can try EDing Michi or Penn but chances are not that great. I don't know how much of a factor your engineering + MIT + WE will play, but if you're willing to take a shot go ahead.

If you want T14, the safest route is UVA.
http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd
I'd say you're good. (Btw if you don't ED, it's most likely a reject)

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Last edited by juzam_djinn on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:21 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Thanks for the input. I'm definitely applying to GU and NU RD. Now I'm just debating on which one ov MVP to do ED at. Seems like UVA is the best bet, but it's not a school I'm willing to commit so early to, especially without seeing any other options. I'm probably leaning towards ED to Penn right now.

If anyone else has any more thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Potentially obvious advice: Don't ED somewhere you're not willing to go. You can only ED to Penn early in the cycle (they don't have the sort of rolling ED UVA does). You can submit an ED contract to UVA later in the cycle, but it does diminish your chances somewhat.

You always have the option of not EDing anywhere and seeing what you get out of it. Just remember it may mean not getting into a school you would have gotten into with ED. There is always next cycle though.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:23 pm

You definitely have a great shot at NU RD, but you might want to consider ED at NU too, though that might be more competitive since acceptance earns you a $150,000 scholarship. Also, you won't be able to ED anywhere else from what I've read/heard...don't mind my musings, just thought I would throw that out there--something else to consider I guess.

Oh, and what bdubs said.

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:20 am

Return to “What are my chances?”