173/3.4 - UChicago, Michigan, Georgetown, Minnesota, BU, OSU

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
oaken

173/3.4 - UChicago, Michigan, Georgetown, Minnesota, BU, OSU

Postby oaken » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:51 pm

White male, went to a pretty well-known undergraduate institution. My top pick is probably Michigan. Anyone have any opinions on that and the rest of them?

And considering I'd have to take on loans (not full tuition's worth, but a significant amount) if I went to the more expensive schools, think I have any shots at scholarships?

Metaread

Re: 173/3.4 - UChicago, Michigan, Georgetown, Minnesota, BU, OSU

Postby Metaread » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:44 pm

You're in at BU for sure. With scholly. Not so sure about the others--I'm sure other posters can help you out there.

oaken

Postby oaken » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Metaread wrote:You're in at BU for sure. With scholly. Not so sure about the others--I'm sure other posters can help you out there.

Well that's something at least! I'm sure I'd be in at OSU. And I've actually heard that Minnesota is more favorable to splitters than BU, so maybe I'd have a shot there too.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:14 pm

You will be yield-protected from Minnesota. Don't waste your money.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:30 pm

I think the last three are a waste of time for you. You can do much better

daniel3.14

Postby daniel3.14 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:04 am

You're kidding, right? You'll get in at UMN for sure. And they'll offer you big $$$, no question.

But don't come here. Don't let them seduce you with the offer of a full ride. Coming here will be the worst decision you ever made. UMN Law is the sorriest, crappiest, most horrible institution in the entire nation, with the possible exception of some prisons.

Meh. On second thought, I take it back. Probably even the most draconian, small-minded prison wardens very likely evince a level of introspection and intellectual sophistication that the admins at this school lack. If you're looking for another safety school, why wouldn't you pick UT, USC, UCLA, or WUSTL? Vastly superior law schools in every possible way.

oaken

Postby oaken » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:04 am

daniel3.14 wrote:You're kidding, right? You'll get in at UMN for sure. And they'll offer you big $$$, no question.

But don't come here. Don't let them seduce you with the offer of a full ride. Coming here will be the worst decision you ever made. UMN Law is the sorriest, crappiest, most horrible institution in the entire nation, with the possible exception of some prisons.

Meh. On second thought, I take it back. Probably even the most draconian, small-minded prison wardens very likely evince a level of introspection and intellectual sophistication that the admins at this school lack. If you're looking for another safety school, why wouldn't you pick UT, USC, UCLA, or WUSTL? Vastly superior law schools in every possible way.

I just want a free Lenovo.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 am

Michigan seems solid, but you can't be positive with your gpa. If you get in, you'd be looking at probably 45K total scholarship. Chicago will only be possible (very very remotely) with ED. GULC is in with money IMO. You don't need to apply below BU.

oaken

Postby oaken » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:13 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Michigan seems solid, but you can't be positive with your gpa. If you get in, you'd be looking at probably 45K total scholarship. Chicago will only be possible (very very remotely) with ED. GULC is in with money IMO. You don't need to apply below BU.

Yeah ideally UChicago would be my top pick but I sort of had that feeling about it...too bad. I'll probably apply anyway though, I'd hate not to know!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:23 pm

oaken wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Michigan seems solid, but you can't be positive with your gpa. If you get in, you'd be looking at probably 45K total scholarship. Chicago will only be possible (very very remotely) with ED. GULC is in with money IMO. You don't need to apply below BU.

Yeah ideally UChicago would be my top pick but I sort of had that feeling about it...too bad. I'll probably apply anyway though, I'd hate not to know!

You may get lucky with ED

daniel3.14

Postby daniel3.14 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:27 am

oaken wrote:I just want a free Lenovo.

It ain't free.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:28 am

daniel3.14 wrote:You're kidding, right? You'll get in at UMN for sure. And they'll offer you big $$$, no question.

I want to give you a hug and send you a basket full of kittens.

decaf735

Postby decaf735 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:42 am

if you're trying to get into the best program possible, regardless of region, apply to the whole t14 minus HYS, berkeley, and Northwestern (if you don't have w.e). Also maybe send an app to UTexas, UCLA, Vandy.

No reason to consider any of the other schools you mentioned, unless you like them for some reason other than prestige, but that would confuse me since they're all over the country.

daniel3.14

Postby daniel3.14 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:07 am

ThomasMN wrote:I want to give you a hug and send you a basket full of kittens.

Unless the kittens know how I can get back the time and money I've wasted thus far, methinks they'd be of little help.

I never look before I cross the street. I can't help but hope that one day a wayward bus will put me out of my misery. I hate my life. Thanks UMN Law!

:(

oaken

Postby oaken » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:13 am

daniel3.14 wrote:
ThomasMN wrote:I want to give you a hug and send you a basket full of kittens.

Unless the kittens know how I can get back the time and money I've wasted thus far, methinks they'd be of little help.

I never look before I cross the street. I can't help but hope that one day a wayward bus will put me out of my misery. I hate my life. Thanks UMN Law!

:(

Sorry to keep bumping this thread as my questions have been sufficiently answered, but I'm just really curious now. Can you be a little more specific about what you hate so much about UMN?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found your post in the "Discuss Your Law School"
EDIT2: jesus christ dude
Last edited by oaken on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaRon James

Postby LaRon James » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Last edited by LaRon James on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniel3.14

Postby daniel3.14 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 am

oaken wrote:Sorry to keep bumping this thread as my questions have been sufficiently answered, but I'm just really curious now. Can you be a little more specific about what you hate so much about UMN?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found your post in the "Discuss Your Law School"
EDIT2: jesus christ dude

Yup.

Return to “What are my chances?”