Chances, pretty please. Reverse-splitter, I guess?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Miss_Sunshine

Chances, pretty please. Reverse-splitter, I guess?

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi everyone!

I just received my LSAT score last night, and got a 166. I’m actually planning on retaking in December in an attempt to break 170. Games is my absolutely worst section, but I know if I can master them I will be able to achieve that dream score.

However, if I were to apply to schools with this score and my GPA (about a 4.1), do you think that I’d be able to gain admission to any of the T-14? I have pretty strong softs and strong LORS from my professors. I’m currently crafting my personal statement, but it will be at least above-average, with the potential to be quite good.

Also, should I apply to those schools ASAP, but inform them to hold for my December scores? Do any of you have any other advice?

Thank you in advance, and best of luck with all of your own applications! :)

kingjones59

Re: Chances, pretty please. Reverse-splitter, I guess?

Postby kingjones59 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:13 pm

You would have to ED to break the T-14. Michigan or Virginia are your best options. If you apply RD though, Id say your about a 30/70 shot, maybe in off that waitlist at one of them. FWIW I got in ED to UVA, 3.95/165. I had two friends with similar GPAs/LSATs, one ended at Notre Dame the other Boston College, both were rejected at both of the above via RD, granted they were idiots and applied kind of late in the cycle.

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks, kingjones59. That's a little depressing, but I'm now even more motivated to break a 170 in December. I've heard that will open up more doors with my GPA, as well as maybe give me chances at a scholarship.

If anyone has any advice regarding the timing of my apps, what to do about informing schools about my Dec. score, or where I should apply ED, please reply.

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Bump. :)

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 pm

kingjones59 wrote:You would have to ED to break the T-14.

This would probably be a bit overly-pessimistic if you were applying in September. But since you're applying late, you definitely need to hit 170+. Study, study!

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks, vulpixie.

Is before Thanksgiving still considered late? Do you think I should send out my apps ASAP but also notify schools that I'll be taking the Dec. LSAT?

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Well, the thing is, even if you apply before Thanksgiving but ask schools to wait until your Dec LSAT comes out before they review your application, you're not much better off than if you had actually applied in December because schools will have most of their class filled up by then. =\

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Oh, wow.

So, should I just apply with my scores without asking them to hold for my next set of scores? I'm re-taking regardless. Then, if I can get into schools with my current score, at least I'm early, and if schools waitlist me, then they'll receive my higher score and that will sweeten my case for them? (I don't know whether that was too convoluted for comprehension, haha)

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Miss_Sunshine wrote:Oh, wow.

So, should I just apply with my scores without asking them to hold for my next set of scores? I'm re-taking regardless. Then, if I can get into schools with my current score, at least I'm early, and if schools waitlist me, then they'll receive my higher score and that will sweeten my case for them? (I don't know whether that was too convoluted for comprehension, haha)

IMO, schools will automatically hold your app until your new score comes in.

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Good to know. Is that just a common assumption about the process, or is it based on applicant's experiences?

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:16 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:IMO, schools will automatically hold your app until your new score comes in.

Yeah. If you have your heart set on the T-14, you might want to consider waiting one more cycle before you apply.

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:20 pm

*sigh*... Thanks guys.

I either want to go to a i) T-14, or ii) a Tier 1 school that will give me some scholarship money. I really do want to apply this cycle... I can't really "waste" time waiting a year (please don't take this the wrong way!) given my particular situation.

I guess I'm just going to have to destroy the December LSAT, then. :)

pizzabrosauce

Postby pizzabrosauce » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:49 am

Am I really off here? I think she has great chance at a lot of the T-14 already, especially Berkeley,UVA, Penn, and Cornell (Low 25th percentile LSATs)

If not, she'd atleast get waitlisted until her Dec. scores come out.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:03 am

pizzabrosauce wrote:Am I really off here?

Yes.

pizzabrosauce wrote:I think she has great chance at a lot of the T-14 already, especially Berkeley,UVA, Penn, and Cornell (Low 25th percentile LSATs)

No.

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for your advice, everyone.

I will be applying this cycle, and with all due respect, I do hope that I'll prove most of you wrong... despite the odds. :P

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:27 pm

kingjones59 wrote:You would have to ED to break the T-14. Michigan or Virginia are your best options. If you apply RD though, Id say your about a 30/70 shot, maybe in off that waitlist at one of them. FWIW I got in ED to UVA, 3.95/165. I had two friends with similar GPAs/LSATs, one ended at Notre Dame the other Boston College, both were rejected at both of the above via RD, granted they were idiots and applied kind of late in the cycle.

ED at Michiagn gives you no benefit. And a 166 is too low for a non-URM.

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks, blowhard. Even though it's not what I want to hear, I'm grateful for your advice. All of your opinions are definitely helping me form decisions about ED vs. RD vs. retaking in December. I'll let you know at the end of my cycle what actually happens.

And pizzabrosauce, thanks so much! You gave me a little hope, even though it was eventually crushed, haha. <3

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:32 pm

4.1 gpa and 166 lsat will give you chances in the t14. speculation otherwise is crazy talk

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 pm

TommyK wrote:4.1 gpa and 166 lsat will give you chances in the t14. speculation otherwise is crazy talk

There is always a chance. But it's much lower than some other posters have made it seem. OP should retake. 3 points and she'd be looking at T14 with $$.

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks TommyK! From your lips to God's ears, although I am preparing to retake, and I am confident that I can hit blowhard's "score range for success".

Since I am in a pretty precarious situation, I'll be sure to let you all in on what happens comes decision time. I've got my fingers crossed for all of you, and I'd love you if you'd send good thoughts my way as well.

At the end of it all, I want to be the crazy girl writing on people's "Chances" posts... "Nothing, absolutely *nothing* is impossible."

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Miss_Sunshine wrote:send good thoughts my way as well.

done

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks, TommyK. Thanks, everyone! :)

Return to “What are my chances?”