3.72/169 - Northwestern $$

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Swimguy08

3.72/169 - Northwestern $$

Postby Swimguy08 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:10 pm

State school undergrad with 3.71 toward B.S. in Econ, just received my LSAT results and landed a 169. I have worked in the legal industry on a consistent basis with part-time hours for the past three years while in school, and I have two very solid LORs from both an attorney for whom I worked (Duke Law grad & managing partner of a 50+ attorney firm) and one of my Econ profs.

It's been a life long dream to attend Northwestern Law, but with my numbers I feel like I could probably break into the middle of the T14. I am considering EDing for NU and hopefully landing the ED scholarship ... Any thoughts on my chances at other T14s (perhaps Chi, UM or Boalt) or the possibility of the $50k a year scholarship at NU?

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

soj

Re: 3.72/169 - Northwestern $$

Postby soj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:12 pm

I hate to tell you this, but you'd be bringing down NU's medians (3.8/170), so I don't think they'll be throwing much money at you, if they accept you at all.

Check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to see how other applicants with similar numbers did.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Swimguy08 wrote:State school undergrad with 3.71 toward B.S. in Econ, just received my LSAT results and landed a 169. I have worked in the legal industry on a consistent basis with part-time hours for the past three years while in school, and I have two very solid LORs from both an attorney for whom I worked (Duke Law grad & managing partner of a 50+ attorney firm) and one of my Econ profs.

It's been a life long dream to attend Northwestern Law, but with my numbers I feel like I could probably break into the middle of the T14. I am considering EDing for NU and hopefully landing the ED scholarship ... Any thoughts on my chances at other T14s (perhaps Chi, UM or Boalt) or the possibility of the $50k a year scholarship at NU?

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

It's a crapshoot. I got money with 3.75/170, but on of my friends with a gpa .01 lower and the same lsat got nothing. You might. You might not. I tend to believe that you wouldn't with both numbers below median.

Dustin.

Postby Dustin. » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Working part-time while in school does not fit Northwestern's criteria for work experience.

They are looking for full-time, post grad professional work experience.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Your chances of acceptance alone are unlikely.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Dustin. wrote:Working part-time while in school does not fit Northwestern's criteria for work experience.

They are looking for full-time, post grad professional work experience.

And this. I will strengthen my response given that I completely neglected this fact earlier. OP ain't getting money.

Swimguy08

Postby Swimguy08 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Hmm, LSN has 3.7/170 as the median, but a 3.8 would definitely help! From what I've read it seems like NU really likes to see work experience, and I thought the 3 years I've had already might give me a little boost. Additionally, and this may not matter that much if at all, 2 direct relatives of mine have gone to NU (one for their PhD, and the other for both undergrad and MD).

Does anything change on account of these new variables?

Thanks! :D

Swimguy08

Postby Swimguy08 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:31 pm

A few of you must have posted while I was typing from second comment -- At this point, should I retake the LSAT? I didn't do much prep work for my first attempt beyond a few practice tests, and I scored in the low 170s on those ... perhaps with some more time and effort I could break into the 170s.

Additionally, I was unaware that they would differentiate between part-time in school experience and full-time post undergrad work so drastically -- thanks for clarifying!

soj

Postby soj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:33 pm

At NU, WE is more like a requirement than a bonus. Having WE qualifies you for NU, but your numbers might still keep you out.

If you really want NU, I'd consider retaking.

Swimguy08

Postby Swimguy08 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:40 pm

soj wrote:At NU, WE is more like a requirement than a bonus. Having WE qualifies you for NU, but your numbers might still keep you out.

Okay, if that's the case I'll most likely finish out the last bit of my undergrad (hopefully try to bump my overall GPA up a tid bit) and then work full-time at the firm I'm with now for a year or so.

Would that WE, coupled with what should be a stronger LSAT be enough to at least get me in the door? (the $$$ would be nice, but it is not crucial)

P.S. I know that last question is purely speculative, but I feel like some of you on here would at least be able to make an educated guess.

Thanks everyone!!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:41 pm

soj wrote:At NU, WE is more like a requirement than a bonus. Having WE qualifies you for NU, but your numbers might still keep you out.

+1

You should definitely retake. The difference between a 169 and a 170 is night and day.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Swimguy08 wrote:

Okay, if that's the case I'll most likely finish out the last bit of my undergrad (hopefully try to bump my overall GPA up a tid bit) and then work full-time at the firm I'm with now for a year or so.

Would that WE, coupled with what should be a stronger LSAT be enough to at least get me in the door? (the $$$ would be nice, but it is not crucial)

P.S. I know that last question is purely speculative, but I feel like some of you on here would at least be able to make an educated guess.

Thanks everyone!!

That sounds like a good plan. As for scholarship money, it would depend on how much higher your LSAT was. 170 and I think you would get in with little to no money, but as you get to the mid 170's and higher it starts looking better. Check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to see what numbers got what scholarship $.

Swimguy08

Postby Swimguy08 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 pm

bk1 wrote:
That sounds like a good plan. As for scholarship money, it would depend on how much higher your LSAT was. 170 and I think you would get in with little to no money, but as you get to the mid 170's and higher it starts looking better. Check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to see what numbers got what scholarship $.

Alright great, I appreciate the advice and the resource. One last question though, are there any other T14 schools that are very WE oriented? If I'm going to work for a full year out of college before LS I might as well take advantage of my WE any way I can.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Swimguy08 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Alright great, I appreciate the advice and the resource. One last question though, are there any other T14 schools that are very WE oriented? If I'm going to work for a full year out of college before LS I might as well take advantage of my WE any way I can.

Harvard is really the only one other than NU.

Return to “What are my chances?”