UT Law Out-of-state? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Mr.Binks

Silver

UT Law Out-of-state?

Post by Mr.Binks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:53 am

So I recently got rocked on the October LSAT, so I am undoubtedly re-taking. My concern, however, is that UT will only admit a certain amount of out-of-state students, and that most, if not all, of those students will already be accepted in early decision.

Anyone have any insight on this? Will I still be in the running (assuming my numbers are up to par) if I take the December LSAT?

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: UT Law Out-of-state?

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:54 am

Limited to 35% out-of-state. I suspect that your odds will decrease dramatically if you wait for December LSAT score.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

2 cycles ago I had a 168/3.75, applied to UT in mid-Jan, and got in with in-state tuition + $21k. Your experience may vary.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:59 am

OP

What are your numbers? I'm in-state, so I don't know if I can answer your question, but your numbers would help, and they're not in your profile.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm

Ah, my numbers aren't spectacular by any means right now.

I have a 3.66 GPA and a 162 LSAT. :-\... I figured they would be a lot more critical of out-of-state students, since the admission percentage is quite a bit lower.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Ah, my numbers aren't spectacular by any means right now.

I have a 3.66 GPA and a 162 LSAT. :-\... I figured they would be a lot more critical of out-of-state students, since the admission percentage is quite a bit lower.
Retake, son.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Grizz wrote:

Retake, son.
+1

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:18 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Retake, son.
+1
Yeah, I already signed up for it. Does anyone know if UT admissions will fill up for out-of-state applicants during early decision, or will they reserve some for the later applicants?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Retake, son.
+1
Yeah, I already signed up for it. Does anyone know if UT admissions will fill up for out-of-state applicants during early decision, or will they reserve some for the later applicants?
Here's what I did. I applied ED, and they held me over for RD. I didn't retake until February, so I was really worried that they would reject me before I could bang out a better score. So, I literally bombarded the admissions office with addenda to my application. My initial response to the hold was a letter of continued interest. I also requested another letter of recommendation. I had made a contact in the UT Law admissions office, so I sent her correspondence indicating that I was retaking in February and that holding my application was in order. I had been involved with local politics prior to applying to law school, so another thing I did was drop by the office of my city's mayor and asked him to give the admissions office a call endorsing my candidacy. I had known the mayor when he was my city councilman years earlier.

The end result of all this was that UT Law sent me an acceptance letter about a week before I was scheduled to retake in February. The funny thing is that I had hunkered down for that last week of LSAT studying, and I didn't check my mail at all. So I took the test without knowing that an acceptance letter was in my mailbox at home. After the LSAT, I proceeded to get drunk, and around 12:30 in the morning I received an email from UT Law. The email said something like, "pursuant to your acceptance to UT Law, you must go to this website and pay a deposit by such and such date." There was no "Congratulations!" or anything like that. I was trashed, and I had to read it like 100 times to figure out what the hell was going on. I found the acceptance package in the morning and pieced it all together.

Now, my numbers were very different from OP's, not to mention that I was in-state, so I'm not suggesting your cycle will go that way. What I'm saying is you need to retake, and you need to stay in contact with the admissions office so that your application doesn't get in the wrong pile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:03 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Here's what I did. I applied ED, and they held me over for RD. I didn't retake until February, so I was really worried that they would reject me before I could bang out a better score. So, I literally bombarded the admissions office with addenda to my application. My initial response to the hold was a letter of continued interest. I also requested another letter of recommendation. I had made a contact in the UT Law admissions office, so I sent her correspondence indicating that I was retaking in February and that holding my application was in order. I had been involved with local politics prior to applying to law school, so another thing I did was drop by the office of my city's mayor and asked him to give the admissions office a call endorsing my candidacy. I had known the mayor when he was my city councilman years earlier.

The end result of all this was that UT Law sent me an acceptance letter about a week before I was scheduled to retake in February. The funny thing is that I had hunkered down for that last week of LSAT studying, and I didn't check my mail at all. So I took the test without knowing that an acceptance letter was in my mailbox at home. After the LSAT, I proceeded to get drunk, and around 12:30 in the morning I received an email from UT Law. The email said something like, "pursuant to your acceptance to UT Law, you must go to this website and pay a deposit by such and such date." There was no "Congratulations!" or anything like that. I was trashed, and I had to read it like 100 times to figure out what the hell was going on. I found the acceptance package in the morning and pieced it all together.

Now, my numbers were very different from OP's, not to mention that I was in-state, so I'm not suggesting your cycle will go that way. What I'm saying is you need to retake, and you need to stay in contact with the admissions office so that your application doesn't get in the wrong pile.
Ah, this was very helpful. I plan on giving the admissions office a call tomorrow (when they're hopefully less bombarded by calls), and ask their advice as to whether or not they want me to apply ED first and then take the December test.

Thanks for the input, mate

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Being "in-state" may make a significant difference, however. OP is a non-resident.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”