167/180 Non-traditional GPA? HYS chances or $$$ at CCN

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Strange

167/180 Non-traditional GPA? HYS chances or $$$ at CCN

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 am

This is totally new territory for me so I'm just trying to get a good feel for planning out my apps. I've already used LSP but I have some quirks in my application, so any insight would be appreciated

LSAT: 167 and 180
LSDAS GPA: 3.41
Non-URM Hispanic (south american)
2 years work experience, political and paralegal

Here's the main quirk - I did more than half of my undergrad studies at a foreign university where there is no GPA, then transferred back to the states and finished my degree here. So that GPA is only going to reflect about a year and a half of classes. Will that matter, help or hurt me?

Really looking at what my chances are at good money at CCN, or am I going to have to go lower. And what are my chances at HYS?

Also since Columbia and NYU supposedly average is that going to hurt me a lot? LSP says "ADMIT" for Columbia but I guess they don't take into account I have two LSAT scores, so should I put in my average?

Strange

Re: 167/180 Non-traditional GPA? HYS chances or $$$ at CCN

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 am

bump :lol:

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 pm

I think a lot of it will come down to how they view your URM status. If you they give you the URM bump then you will get huge $$$ at CCN and get into HYS. If they don't give you the URM bump then you're not a lock at any of these schools because your GPA will be too low. Search the URM forum to see if others like you get the bump.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:18 pm

If these schools don't give you a boost for being South American, you're being way too optimistic. I know someone who was a 180/3.5 (and he only took the LSAT once) and he didn't even crack the T5.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:37 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:If these schools don't give you a boost for being South American, you're being way too optimistic. I know someone who was a 180/3.5 (and he only took the LSAT once) and he didn't even crack the T5.

Yeah I was going by the LSP so I wasn't sure. If I really want CLS/NYU do you think I should ED?

soj

Postby soj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Don't use LSP. Use lawschoolnumbers.com

You're not getting into HYS, and your chances for $$ at CCN aren't great, though I think you're a lock for at least one of CCN (probably N) with a little bit of money. EDing will make it a done deal at sticker, but I'd still RD for the possibility of some $ and choice. Congrats on the great score!

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 pm

soj wrote:Don't use LSP. Use lawschoolnumbers.com

You're not getting into HYS, and your chances for $$ at CCN aren't great, though I think you're a lock for at least one of CCN (probably N) with a little bit of money. EDing will make it a done deal at sticker, but I'd still RD for the possibility of some $ and choice. Congrats on the great score!

Does HYS have a floor? Should I bother sending apps there?

soj

Postby soj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Take a look at LSN and see for yourself.

FYI: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm
Every single 1L at Yale has a 3.61 or higher.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 pm

I'd say you would have had a very small chance at H had you gotten the 180 your first try.
But since it's a retake I would apply but wouldn't count on it.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to cross my fingers for CCN then and hope for $$$ at lower T-14.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Do you guys think I'm a lock for RD at MVPN? I don't want to make a mistake and get shutout.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Strange wrote:Do you guys think I'm a lock for RD at MVPN? I don't want to make a mistake and get shutout.

Depends on the URM boost. Without out, you are not a lock. You are a splitter - your LSAT score is great, but your GPA is mediocre at best, especially for schools like those. Splitters are never locks.

Write good "why" essays, and put together a solid app package, and hope for the best. You're very likely to get in at at least one of those schools, but there is a chance that you won't. Apply to safety schools that are friendly towards splitters just in case. WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB for instance are solid programs that are known to be splitter friendly; you should get lots of money from them if the T14 doesn't work out.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:30 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Strange wrote:Do you guys think I'm a lock for RD at MVPN? I don't want to make a mistake and get shutout.

Depends on the URM boost. Without out, you are not a lock. You are a splitter - your LSAT score is great, but your GPA is mediocre at best, especially for schools like those. Splitters are never locks.

Write good "why" essays, and put together a solid app package, and hope for the best. You're very likely to get in at at least one of those schools, but there is a chance that you won't. Apply to safety schools that are friendly towards splitters just in case. WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB for instance are solid programs that are known to be splitter friendly; you should get lots of money from them if the T14 doesn't work out.

Thanks man, that's helpful. I don't think I can accept less than a T14 though so I will probably just re-apply if I get shutout. Would you advise an ED to NYU or CLS or would that be a waste?

Return to “What are my chances?”