Schools with a median 160 LSAT?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
llachans

Schools with a median 160 LSAT?

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:53 am

Stats are 3.5/160. I'm not sure where to apply.

BeerMaker

Re: Schools with a median 160 LSAT?

Postby BeerMaker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 am

Penn State, Houston, Wake, Florida, TN, etc.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 am

Apply at schools that place grads in regions where you want to work.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:19 am

I live in Chicago and would love to end up in the Chicago market; however, I obviously don't have the numbers for NW or Chicago and have read on here how much Kent/DePaul/Loyola/John Marshall suck at placements.

I would love to be a prosecutor and honestly, if Chicago doesn't work out, I'd be fine with any geographical location as long as it's not in the deep South. I'm just at a loss of where to apply.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:20 am

BeerMaker wrote:Penn State, Houston, Wake, Florida, TN, etc.

Thank you!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 am

Pick a school that has the corner on a secondary market

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:27 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Pick a school that has the corner on a secondary market

Might not be a great idea if you're not from that market, depending on what the market is.

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 am

BeerMaker wrote:Penn State, Houston, Wake, Florida, TN, etc.

FSU and UF have 162 medians and higher median GPAs than OP. I would try Miami instead.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 am

Grizz wrote:

Might not be a great idea if you're not from that market, depending on what the market is.

true

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 am

UConn, Case Western, Temple and Pitt. All of which corner their respective markets quite well (and at Pitt you'll get money with a 160 or more). U Cincinatti wouldn't leave you too far off either.
Also, Loyola Chicago is not as bad as people here will have you believe at placement. I know quite a few 3Ls there who have solid jobs lined up. The downside is their debt. If you can get money it might be worth it but, if not, it will probably be a bit too expensive for the salary you'll make as a prosecutor.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am

Incubateus wrote:UConn, Case Western, Temple and Pitt. All of which corner their respective markets quite well (and at Pitt you'll get money with a 160 or more). U Cincinatti wouldn't leave you too far off either.
Also, Loyola Chicago is not as bad as people here will have you believe at placement. I know quite a few 3Ls there who have solid jobs lined up. The downside is their debt. If you can get money it might be worth it but, if not, it will probably be a bit too expensive for the salary you'll make as a prosecutor.

Thanks for such specific feedback. This is really helpful. Out of curiosity, is Kent as bad as people make it? I've heard pretty bad things on here but know some 1Ls that are much more optimistic. I'm not sure if that's because they're in their first year and still naive about the economy though.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Grizz wrote:

true

Which markets are bad to enter if you're not from there? On the other hand, what markets are easy to enter and thrive in if you aren't from there?

All of you are giving me really good insight. Sorry for all of the follow-up questions!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 am

llachans wrote:Which markets are bad to enter if you're not from there? On the other hand, what markets are easy to enter and thrive in if you aren't from there?

All of you are giving me really good insight. Sorry for all of the follow-up questions!

To be frank, in general, almost all markets except major markets will be hard to enter to varying degrees if you're not from there.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am

Grizz wrote:
llachans wrote:Which markets are bad to enter if you're not from there? On the other hand, what markets are easy to enter and thrive in if you aren't from there?

To be frank, in general, almost all markets except major markets will be hard to enter to varying degrees if you're not from there.

I would think that high-growth, "cool" markets would be easy to break into if you're not from there, much more so than declining markets. For instance, Detroit firms would be very skeptical (why the hell does this kid want to be in Detroit? NO ONE wants to be in Detroit!) Miami firms, on the other hand, probably have a pretty good idea of why you want to be in Miami and would expect you to stay there if you go to law school at UM.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:51 am

duckmoney wrote:
Grizz wrote:

I would think that high-growth, "cool" markets would be easy to break into if you're not from there, much more so than declining markets. For instance, Detroit firms would be very skeptical (why the hell does this kid want to be in Detroit? NO ONE wants to be in Detroit!) Miami firms, on the other hand, probably have a pretty good idea of why you want to be in Miami and would expect you to stay there if you go to law school at UM.

haha, alright. that makes sense. (i certainly have no desire to live in detroit.) thank you!

Return to “What are my chances?”