173/3.4/white male

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mwaha

173/3.4/white male

Postby mwaha » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 am

I'm looking at programs with joint JD/MLS (Master's of Library Science) programs, so that means I'm gunning for (roughly in this order of preference):

Michigan
Illinois
UNC
Texas
UCLA
Indiana-Bloomington
Syracuse
Rutgers

Softs: Master's degree in English, a handful of scholarly talks given at national and international research conferences, a few journal articles that are currently under review at major research journals, editorial assistant at a scholarly journal (I figure this would be a big one, because the skills would transfer immediately to law review). My undergrad GPA is as low as it is because (1) I was rather severely depressed, and I only got it under control with antidepressants after I graduated, and (2) I kinda dicked a round a lot and didn't care about school as much as I did now.

I'm pretty sure I can get into the schools on the bottom of that list. I'm mostly worried about from UCLA up. I know that, at most schools, joint JD/MLS tends to be a minuscule program (at Michigan, it's a four year program and they currently have five people in it total), so I figure it'll really help my chances to say in my PS: "this small program that almost no one does, that's a perfect fit for me."

Thoughts on chances? And advice on addendum writing?

mwaha

Re: 173/3.4/white male

Postby mwaha » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 am

Nothin? oh well

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 am

mwaha wrote:Nothin? oh well

Don't be so damn inpatient. It's only been 18 minutes . . .

mwaha

Postby mwaha » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:13 am

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
mwaha wrote:Nothin? oh well

Don't be so damn inpatient. It's only been 18 minutes . . .

Lol. You're right. I guess I'm still getting the October waiting thread out of my system.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:16 am

Uh, 1. don't do the MLS, that would be stupid and entirely worthless. 2. Shoot for MVP with Why Xs, I am fairly certain one (my money's on M) will throw you a bone, although you might need to shoot an ED to your favorite.

mwaha

Postby mwaha » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:18 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Uh, 1. don't do the MLS, that would be stupid and entirely worthless. 2. Shoot for MVP with Why Xs, I am fairly certain one (my money's on M) will throw you a bone, although you might need to shoot an ED to your favorite.

Uh, I'd like to be a law librarian, not a lawyer. =)

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 am

mwaha wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:Uh, 1. don't do the MLS, that would be stupid and entirely worthless. 2. Shoot for MVP with Why Xs, I am fairly certain one (my money's on M) will throw you a bone, although you might need to shoot an ED to your favorite.

Uh, I'd like to be a law librarian, not a lawyer. =)

Well, maybe it would be worthwhile to reach out to some law librarians or students at the MLS programs you're thinking of applying to and ask them for their advice

But in terms of your chances, I say you have a shot at every school you've listed. Good luck!

Also, check out http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/ if you haven't already

Return to “What are my chances?”