Where should I aim with 159/3.667 Soft URM?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Sdoesntknow1

Where should I aim with 159/3.667 Soft URM?

Postby Sdoesntknow1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 am

Hey, I just received my LSAT score today, and I know I should most likely retake it again in December with a score like that.

However, just in case my score does not improve I was wondering what I should realistically aim for with:

GPA: 3.667
LSAT: 159

I'm a Vietnamese-American first-generation openly gay male from New Orleans. First in my dad's side of the family to graduate college and first in my mom's side to graduate with a degree outside business or pharmacy (Poli-Sci major). I also come from a lower working-class socioeconomic background. Worked all throughout undergrad at a corporate retailer. Worked 32-40 hours a week while attending school full-time.

I was the first president of the LGBT Organization at my university and am an active member of a local chapter of Amnesty International (biggest chapter of the state) and a city-wide service coalition . I have secured three LoR (though I know most applications only take one or two at the most). I am a part of 4 national academic honor societies.

Again, I know my LSAT score isn't too hot right now, but I seriously want to go to law school in either the NYC and D.C. area because I always had an interest in both of those areas. Because of that, I have obviously looked at:

Fordham
Cardozo
Rutgers-Newark
Brooklyn
CUNY
George Washington
American University

I also looked at the percentages of graduates finding jobs (NLJ 250, clerkships, public interest, etc.) and even found various blogs (some of them had bad things to say about any school outside T14 and seemed intent on discouraging anyone from going to law school if they cannot get into a T14 school).

I then used this calculator:

--LinkRemoved--

to see what my chances were, and of course the hard numbers do not seem very encouraging either.

I wanted to get some feedback from the posters here on what my chances most likely are.

Thank you.

Grizz

Re: Where should I aim with 159/3.667 Soft URM?

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 am

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Your background won't help you much, if at all. Not enough to overcome your numbers in any appreciable fashion, anyway.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 am

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Grizz is right, per usua. In at RU-N, CUNY, Brooklyn. Unfortunately, RU-N is the only of these schools worth attending. Considering a retake? If not, Id look at RU-N as the realistic choice.

Sdoesntknow1

Postby Sdoesntknow1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:16 am

I'm definitely retaking, I just needed to know where I realistically stood as of right now. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “What are my chances?”