173 LSAT / 2.15 GPA, California?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rpm

173 LSAT / 2.15 GPA, California?

Postby rpm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 am

I just got my LSAT score and need to decide where to apply! I am trying to stay within Northern California and would like to go to the best school I can, although I know my terrible GPA is going to drag me down.

I didn't have any kind of focus, plan, or motivation after high school and got a bunch of drops and F's at my first college. I took time off from school to figure out my life, and returned for a second (successful) try when I was 25. I have decent work experience- nothing extraordinary but I have been selected for trusted leadership positions and rapidly promoted at the jobs I have held. Also, my letters of recommendation from my university professors are absolutely amazing, which will help if the schools don't immediately set fire to my application when they see my GPA.

My degree is from Sonoma State University in History with a Business Minor, but I don't think that is going to matter.

My decision would also be significantly contingent upon financial aid (I'm poor). Any recommendations on schools that might give me a chance at some grants or scholarships?

I would absolutely love to go to Hastings, Davis, or Stanford, but from what I have read those won't be a possibility. My dad went to USF for grad school and highly recommends it- but the thought of taking out 100k+ in loans for a school ranked that low is a risky investment.

Any help would be appreciated. NO ONE I know in real life has any clue about any of this stuff.

westinghouse60

Re: 173 LSAT / 2.15 GPA, California?

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:12 am

Most California schools weigh GPA more heavily than LSAT, so that doesn't look good. Law School Predictor has you as at "consider" at UC Davis, but it gets inaccurate with extreme splitters.

A lot of people are going to say ED Northwestern since you're a huge splitter with work experience. You also may have a shot at WUSTL, if you look at Law School Numbers it's pretty much a solid line of admits for LSAT>168.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:21 am

What you want to do is ED NW. Other than that, yes, enjoy splitter friendly midwestern T25s (Wustl, Minn). Cali schools almost assuredly aren't happening.

rpm

Postby rpm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:14 am

I appreciate your responses. I assumed I wasn't getting into any T14 so I hadn't researched any of them, but Northwestern seems like the perfect school for someone like me. I just worry about the cost and the loans, thinking that going to a lower-ranked school with a scholarship would be a better financial choice.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 am

rpm wrote:I appreciate your responses. I assumed I wasn't getting into any T14 so I hadn't researched any of them, but Northwestern seems like the perfect school for someone like me. I just worry about the cost and the loans, thinking that going to a lower-ranked school with a scholarship would be a better financial choice.

Up to your personal goals and risk tolerance.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:27 am

rpm wrote:I just worry about the cost and the loans, thinking that going to a lower-ranked school with a scholarship would be a better financial choice.

Join the club. Trouble is you likely won't get much $, certainly not a full ride, from any halfway decent school up through tier 1 and beyond with that GPA, though I could be wrong.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 am

Grizz wrote:What you want to do is ED NW. Other than that, yes, enjoy splitter friendly midwestern T25s (Wustl, Minn). Cali schools almost assuredly aren't happening.

Ya welcome to the Midwest! Lol Northwestern ED, WUSTL, UIUC, IU-B, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE1_6WJ371A&ob=av3e

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:13 am

Now that is a splitter.

You only have one question to ask yourself: Do you like St Louis or Bloomington more (or maybe you prefer schools that make up their medians)?

rpm

Postby rpm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't think I will be applying early decision to Northwestern. Is it still worth applying for regular consideration, or is the ED critical?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:48 pm

NU ED isn't what it used to be. It's now more like GW's. It's worth the application fee but you'll probably have to ride out the waitlist.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Here's what I don't get: if GPA's and LSAT's aren't averaged, since only medians are reported, why do they care if you have a 3.1 or a 2.1? Both scores are lower than the 25th percentile so they won't help the school's 25th percentile or the median; so what is the difference between the two?

I understand that a person with a 2.15 has either really slacked off, messed up, or it signals something else - but wouldn't a school with a 75th percentile of 166 prefer the OP over a student with a GPA just below the 25th percentile and a median LSAT?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:08 pm

180asBreath wrote:Here's what I don't get: if GPA's and LSAT's aren't averaged, since only medians are reported, why do they care if you have a 3.1 or a 2.1? Both scores are lower than the 25th percentile so they won't help the school's 25th percentile or the median; so what is the difference between the two?

It doesn't matter so much why they care, but it does matter that the data bears out that they do.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:14 pm

For sure, I'm just surprised that decent schools don't jump at a 17X. I figured that's why NU takes splitters like it does; if you have to have a bottom 25%, aren't you better off - at least - increasing your LSAT 75th percentile?

Good luck to OP.

rpm

Postby rpm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Thank you. I finished my applications today. I hope to provide a spark of hope to future splitters when they see my data point.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:21 am

I've always thought they care that you have a 2.1 because they take that as evidence that you will not succeed in law school (your LSAT score is evidence that you will, which is why you still have a shot at lots of schools). I guess US News doesn't consider how many people fail out since many TTT/TTTT law schools have insane curves that force a sizable percentage to leave after the first year, but just to save everyone's time the top law schools don't want to be accepting people who, more likely than not, will not survive Contracts and Torts.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Yukos wrote:I've always thought they care that you have a 2.1 because they take that as evidence that you will not succeed in law school (your LSAT score is evidence that you will, which is why you still have a shot at lots of schools). I guess US News doesn't consider how many people fail out since many TTT/TTTT law schools have insane curves that force a sizable percentage to leave after the first year, but just to save everyone's time the top law schools don't want to be accepting people who, more likely than not, will not survive Contracts and Torts.

Eh, with WE that's a stupid concern. I think it's more that they embarrass the school at OCI, e.g. "How did you get into Northwestern with a 2.8?!"

Return to “What are my chances?”