Chances at Pennsylvania Schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Kage3212

Chances at Pennsylvania Schools?

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Just got my October score back: 158. I have a GPA of 3.88. What are my chances looking like for Pitt, Temple, Villanova and Penn State? I used Law School Predictor and got "strong consider" for all but Penn State which was just "consider." Do you guys feel like I have a solid shot at Pitt and Temple, as these are the two schools that I believe I am most interested in. Any help is much appreciated and thanks for your time.

Grizz

Re: Chances at Pennsylvania Schools?

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:49 am

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:51 am

In at Pitt. Likely the rest as well, I just know the most about Pitt. That GPA makes you a reverse splitter at this tier of schools. So LSP may not give you all the data. Grizz is right. Look at LSN.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Just got my October score back: 158. I have a GPA of 3.88. What are my chances looking like for Pitt, Temple, Villanova and Penn State? I used Law School Predictor and got "strong consider" for all but Penn State which was just "consider." Do you guys feel like I have a solid shot at Pitt and Temple, as these are the two schools that I believe I am most interested in. Any help is much appreciated and thanks for your time.

You're probably in at all of those. You would be on the fringe in recent years but apps are down this year so I wouldn't be too worried.

I can also help a bit hashing out btwn those schools. What exactly would you like to know (might want to PM, I hardly check the boards anymore)?

danielhay11

Postby danielhay11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:47 pm

My crystal ball: in everywhere but Penn State, where you'll be waitlisted. But since you're above the medians, I bet you'll be in there as well, you'll just have to wait until the spring.

In previous years, I would have predicted a WL at 'Nova as well. But the ABA sanction is sure to reduce the size/quality of their applicant pool.

Since you're such an extreme splitter, I'm curious: was your LSAT what you expected, or was your score lower than you hoped? If the latter, do you plan to write an addendum and/or retake?

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:53 pm

I think you're in at Penn State. I got in with money last year (159 and 3.7)

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Thank you everyone for your insightful responses, it has put me much more at ease. To answer your question danielhay11, it was not what i expected. I came out of the test feeling good because I thought I knew which one was the experimental; the analytical section I feel like I owned turned out to be the experimental. Needless to say I missed quite a few on my first section due to nerves and that killed my score. Normally I wouldn't miss a single question on logic games, and if I would have brought that game during test day I would be looking at a 164. Hindsight is 20/20, no retake and no addendum. Just hoping for the best and letting the pieces fall where they may.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Thank you everyone for your insightful responses, it has put me much more at ease. To answer your question danielhay11, it was not what i expected. I came out of the test feeling good because I thought I knew which one was the experimental; the analytical section I feel like I owned turned out to be the experimental. Needless to say I missed quite a few on my first section due to nerves and that killed my score. Normally I wouldn't miss a single question on logic games, and if I would have brought that game during test day I would be looking at a 164. Hindsight is 20/20, no retake and no addendum. Just hoping for the best and letting the pieces fall where they may.

A 164/3.88 could get you into Berkeley. I would seriously think about taking in Dec or skipping a cycle. Don't settle for a worse law school.

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 pm

A 164/3.88 could get you into Berkeley. I would seriously think about taking in Dec or skipping a cycle. Don't settle for a worse law school.

Agreed. Thats a hell of a gpa to waste. Then again, it will serve you well for Pennsylvania TTs. That being said, PA markets are not nearly as big as everyone thinks they are (once again I know the most about Pittsburgh) and I know several Pitt grads without legal jobs.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:22 pm

top30man wrote:

Agreed. Thats a hell of a gpa to waste. Then again, it will serve you well for Pennsylvania TTs. That being said, PA markets are not nearly as big as everyone thinks they are (once again I know the most about Pittsburgh) and I know several Pitt grads without legal jobs.

ill jump in and agree to this as well. consider taking a year off and getting some WE (worked for me 159-164-170). then, if you still wanted to go to the same schools, you could have $$$$ from them.

Return to “What are my chances?”