172 LSAT (up from 167), 3.29 GPA, WE, good softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
semicollante

172 LSAT (up from 167), 3.29 GPA, WE, good softs

Postby semicollante » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 pm

I took LSAT in June, and got 167, but it wasn't a normal score for me (I got 0 wrong in the first two sections (3rd one was experimental), and ate some questionable snack during break. I felt really ill after break and had to run to the bathroom a few times, and did poorly on the last two sections). So I retook in October, and got 172.
My undergrad GPA sucks at 3.29. I got a double major in political science and economics, a math minor, and a pre-law concentration. I had to work (tutoring math, physics, chemistry and english) to pay my tuition all through undergrad, and to pay off some family debts because my family had financial difficulties. I also did a lot of community service, volunteering to tutor underprivileged high school kids for free (if that's at all relevant).
I got a scholarship to do a one year graduate program free. I did it in environmental science, and got a GPA of 3.63 (still not great, but it's an improvement).
I had known I wanted to be a lawyer since 8 or 9 (it was because my family had a financial crisis, and got screwed over by horrible lawyers. we went from rich to hovering around poverty line), and had done a lot of internships in law during college. I think this is the topic for my personal statement.
I live near NYC, and my dream is to go to Columbia law or NYU, because my fiancé is working here, so it's difficult to relocate. Is it still possible? I'm willing to do anything to get in at those schools. What schools should I apply at?
Would it help if I took the LSAT again in December and got 178ish (if I really work hard at it, it may be possible)?
Thank you so much for your advice! :)
Last edited by semicollante on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Re: 172 LSAT (up from 167), 3.29 GPA, 3.63 grad school GPA, WE

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Grad school GPA doesn't really matter, average applicant.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

semicollante

Re: 172 LSAT (up from 167), 3.29 GPA, 3.63 grad school GPA, WE

Postby semicollante » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Grizz wrote:Grad school GPA doesn't really matter, average applicant.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

thanks, I hoped it would make a slight difference, but didn't think it would help a lot

bdubs

Re: 172 LSAT (up from 167), 3.29 GPA, WE, good softs

Postby bdubs » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Apply ED to Penn. It's the closest you will get to NY in the T14.

Return to “What are my chances?”