165 with 2 bachelors

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

165 with 2 bachelors

Postby psach44 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:11 pm

ok...

my heart was set on staying in new york

i have a 162 and a 165 on my lsats. i realize that is not strong

i have a 4.0 gpa from my first degree and a cummaltive 3.77 with my second degree

i am thinking to try again in december

do i have any chance at nyu or columbia if i apply early?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby cinephile » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Well, only the 4.0 from your first degree counts, so that's good. No, it's unlikely that you'll get NYU or Columbia. Why not try schools outside of NYC that are notorious for loving high GPAs?

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby soj » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:30 pm

UVA, Penn, Berkeley, and Northwestern like reverse splitters.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28023
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby Kronk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:31 pm

If you want BigLaw Fordham is as good as any of the other schools you could pull with a 165 / 4.0 anyhow. Might as well go there.

psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby psach44 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

what about a retake december? that'd be my third score though...

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 am

Retake if you are willing to do the work or if your present scores do not reflect your practice test scores.

If you are set on staying in NYC, then a higher LSAT score is necessary for NYU or Columbia. Otherwise consider an ED app to Virginia as well as to Penn.

A post above suggested NU & Berkeley, but Northwestern is unlikely without a year or two of full-time post-undergraduate work experience & Berkeley is unlikely without an exceptional application package.

psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby psach44 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 am

I have two years of post graduate work and I think I have a pretty nice overall application.

I don't think its reflects my performance as i was PT'ing minmial 168. Tops 172. I will be up for a retake but will having 3 scores preclude me from NYU/Columbia? Should I ED with a pending score?

Staying in NY is pretty crucial for me at this point as a comittment to go out of town is not too feasible now...

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:03 am

NYU's TLS profile states that they average multiple LSAT scores. If true in practice, then you can calculate the score needed on a third attempt.

My impression from reading this thread is that you are going to apply to NYU & Columbia regardless of any other factors since you want to stay in NYC. If so, then you need to retake.

psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby psach44 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:06 am

I am contemplating Penn as well I just cant ED there and commit to PA

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28023
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby Kronk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:27 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:NYU's TLS profile states that they average multiple LSAT scores. If true in practice, then you can calculate the score needed on a third attempt.

My impression from reading this thread is that you are going to apply to NYU & Columbia regardless of any other factors since you want to stay in NYC. If so, then you need to retake.


They don't average scores in practice so the OP is fine.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:57 pm

How do you know this ?

psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby psach44 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Kronk wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:NYU's TLS profile states that they average multiple LSAT scores. If true in practice, then you can calculate the score needed on a third attempt.

My impression from reading this thread is that you are going to apply to NYU & Columbia regardless of any other factors since you want to stay in NYC. If so, then you need to retake.


They don't average scores in practice so the OP is fine.



what is OP?

and do you suggest i take it for a 3rd time? they still wont average?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28023
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby Kronk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:How do you know this ?


Because all the data points the opposite direction and tons of people get into NYU every year with average scores that wouldn't be admitted to NYU but high scores that would (myself included).

But you can also just think about it from a rationality perspective. It's also counterproductive to not accept the highest now that USNWR only uses the highest. Averaging would just bring down their rank.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: 165 with 2 bachelors

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Kronk wrote:If you want BigLaw Fordham is as good as any of the other schools you could pull with a 165 / 4.0 anyhow. Might as well go there.


This. Take money from Fordham if you want NY Biglaw.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pd_1023 and 5 guests