Undergrad Transfer

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
contrasisyphi

Undergrad Transfer

Postby contrasisyphi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:02 pm

-- A brief preface: If this posting would be better suited within a different forum, please let me know and I'll be happy to relocate it --

I am currently an undergrad student at Cleveland State University, where I am a junior pursuing a double major in Philosophy and Economics. I am currently carrying a 3.74 toward my Phil. B.A. and a 3.68 toward a B.S. in Economics. (Additionally, I have taken a few full length practice LSATs, and have scored consistently in the high 160s.) My experience at CSU has been very positive; I've had surprisingly small class sizes, very helpful profs, a commute of less than 20 minutes each day, and I have been able to work part-time for a well respected firm in downtown CLE for the past year and a half, garnering substantial experience in both Real Estate and Creditors' Rights law. All in all, the school has been great to me.

I am concerned however that I will face a pretty sizable obstacle when I apply to law schools where my numbers should get me a strong consideration for admission (the lower half of the T14 based on what I've read), where I'll have to compete with applicants from far more prestigious universities.

So my question is this; should I transfer to a more respected/national university such as Ohio State, or should I stay at CSU? (Where I can easily graduate Magna Cum Laude for both of my degrees and continue to work for attorneys who will supply me with real life legal experience, and very strong letters of recommendation -- the attorney I work closely with now is a UChicago alumnus)

Thanks for drudging through such a drawn out posting from a TLS newbie, and I appreciate your input in advance! :D

Tom Joad

Re: Undergrad Transfer

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:28 pm

No doubt about it. Stay where you are if you feel like you are getting a good education and you enjoy it. Get all As the rest of the way out and get a 170+ on the LSAT and you will be sitting pretty in the T14. The only schools that really might care about your undergrad are HYS and with your GPA you are probably an auto-ding at those schools anyway. Just keep working hard and learning and you will still make it to a really nice law school. Good luck!

contrasisyphi

Re: Undergrad Transfer

Postby contrasisyphi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Tom Joad wrote:No doubt about it. Stay where you are if you feel like you are getting a good education and you enjoy it. Get all As the rest of the way out and get a 170+ on the LSAT and you will be sitting pretty in the T14. The only schools that really might care about your undergrad are HYS and with your GPA you are probably an auto-ding at those schools anyway. Just keep working hard and learning and you will still make it to a really nice law school. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, that's what I was hoping to hear! The straight As & 170+ will both be challenging, but I'm definitely willing to put in the work.

I have one more quick question though. I am three years removed from HS, and am poised to graduate with both degrees next spring (per the usual four year path). However, it is going to be very difficult to take the requisite course load to accomplish this, while continuing to work at the firm I am currently with. So what makes more sense, finishing my degrees in four years while leaving my job at the end of this semester, or perhaps taking a lighter course load and finishing my undergrad in five years, so I can continue working and gaining experience.

I know this is a lot to ask, and I really appreciate any advice. THANKS!

Return to “What are my chances?”