Chances for HYS?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MillaLiteYo

Re: Chances for HYS?

Postby MillaLiteYo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:24 pm

funstuff wrote:You'd better be a flame. We're off-put by your attitude. I'm a URM too so don't give me crap about your boost.

Dude, relax. You guys are all uptight. Just spend a night out on the town, drink some good booze and chill.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:23 pm

MillaLiteYo wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Worth an app to Stanford. You'll need to explain certain things and hope for the best.

Thanks my man but what about Harvard?

Median GPA of 3.74 so I'm slightly below but my LSAT is slightly above their 25th percentile. I thought I did just enough.

If only the median GPA was 3.74.

MillaLiteYo

Postby MillaLiteYo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:26 pm

So if not HYS what am I looking at right now yo?

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:27 pm

MillaLiteYo wrote:So if not HYS what am I looking at right now yo?

Reasonable shot at CCN, possibly some money at the lower T14.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:28 pm

MillaLiteYo wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Worth an app to Stanford. You'll need to explain certain things and hope for the best.

Median GPA of 3.74 so I'm slightly below but my LSAT is slightly above their 25th percentile. I thought I did just enough.

If you're below one of their medians you need to be at least higher than the other. But who know the URM status might boost you. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't blanket the top 14 though IMO.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:38 pm

? Where are you getting that info? I think Harvard's median gpa is 3.89 and lsat is 173. You are below both..

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:45 pm

MillaLiteYo wrote:

Apply to Harvard and Yale too. Harvard is relatively more numbers-based than the other two. The problem with your stats is that one might (mis)construe the transfers as an attempt to game the system. You may need to explain the transfer to a community college but it's not a deal-breaker. Stanford does weird things. You do have a shot at Harvard, I can't quantify your chances. I don't know your whole story. Personally, I think your best bet is at Stanford but I could be wrong. You're not out at Harvard by any means.

PS: If you feel you can improve your score, I'd retake in December. You may need to do that to get off waitlists. The whole thing is unpredictable for urm's. HYS or bust is a bit unconventional. Perhaps you could throw in CCN? But hey, there's nothing wrong with going HYS or bust.

MillaLiteYo

Postby MillaLiteYo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:09 pm

If I don't get HYS do you see me getting a considerable amount (maybe full) of $ to a lower T14?

LeBronBBall

Postby LeBronBBall » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:12 am

OP:

Despite what some other posters said so far, I think you stand a healthy chance at both Harvard and Stanford, if you do count as URM. (does Puerto Rican count as URM? didn't know...)

I know a URM with 167 LSAT/ 3.7 GPA who got into both Harvard and Stanford last year. He got into every single other T14 except Yale. People in this thread are seriously discounting the extent and power of the URM boost. With 170 LSAT + URM, rest assured you will crack a T6 acceptance.

tronredo

Postby tronredo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:59 am

funstuff wrote:You'd better be a flame. We're off-put by your attitude. I'm a URM too so don't give me crap about your boost.

who put you in charge of morality security on this site? Besides none of you has ever been on an admission committee so stop putting someone down based on your own weaknesses. How many of you have that LSAT score? huh?

OP apply to HYS. Get strong recommendations. Write a powerful personal statement and expect the best.

I bet majority of people who post shit here are mediocre students who don't even have a chance at top law schools.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:23 pm

MillaLiteYo wrote:If I don't get HYS do you see me getting a considerable amount (maybe full) of $ to a lower T14?

Yes. While URM cycles are pretty hard to predict...lawschoolnumbers.com may be a useful site for you. Problem is, I don't think they usually differentiate what sort of URM they are...and the boosts definitely vary. I would say PR is probably one of the smaller URM boosts. Nevertheless, $$ at lower T14 and at least one acceptance out of T6 is, imo, quite a reasonable expectation.

Shoot apps to HYS -- hope for best, but as I mentioned in another thread, I don't think those would be in the "likely to get in" category.

FlyHigh

Postby FlyHigh » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:29 pm

You're GPA is really low. My advice:

Retake the LSAT and get a 178+, get a year (or more) of work experience or travelling, write a killer PS

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Enjoy Georgetown.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:37 am

tronredo wrote:

who put you in charge of morality security on this site? Besides none of you has ever been on an admission committee so stop putting someone down based on your own weaknesses. How many of you have that LSAT score? huh?

OP apply to HYS. Get strong recommendations. Write a powerful personal statement and expect the best.

I bet majority of people who post shit here are mediocre students who don't even have a chance at top law schools.

I wouldnt define mediocre as not having a chance to get into a tls cuz by definition, the scores/stats u need to get into a tls are like at the 95th percentile or higher...so..yah, u r righrt that the majority of posters on here prob dont have a 173 or higher but thats cuz only 1% of people do have that...

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:00 pm

tronredo wrote:I bet majority of people who post shit here are mediocre students who don't even have a chance at top law schools.

What are you talking about? They're on Top-Law-Schools right now!

Return to “What are my chances?”