I want to go to Michigan, but...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
UMichattic
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 pm

I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby UMichattic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:00 pm

LSAT: 167
GPA: 3.3

I took the LSAT in June 2011 and got the score stated. I have done my undergraduate at the Univ. of Michigan all 3.5yrs in Political Science with a minor in the environment. I want to go the umich law school. I have considered taking a year off and retaking the LSAT (I, maybe mistakenly, decided not to retake in Oct.) to get 172+ and increase my odds substantially, but am curious if there is anything else I could potentially do.

Softs.. Congressional page, US House intern, environmental research, SCOTUS 18th/19th case research. LoR from. Rep, Prof, and contempleting my third. I've volunteered in local campaigns at home (U.P.) and beginning to for Obama for America.

[EDIT: I've always been a Michigan resident]

Now what TLS, now what?
Last edited by UMichattic on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:08 pm

If you want to go to Michigan, retake the LSAT. The only things that will potentially make up for your numbers are going to be a hell of a lot more difficult to accomplish than a higher LSAT score (hint: those things are substantially more impressive than your existing softs).

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby zozin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:31 pm

How much did you study for the June LSAT? Helm is right about retaking, you need to break 170 to have a shot with your GPA.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby bdubs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Stay in MI after you graduate. U of MI definitely has a lower bar for residents.

UMichattic
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby UMichattic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:39 pm

I took a Kaplan course from March-May, which more or less just offers familiarization with the test, basic questions answered, and advice on what to study and when. It was decently useful, but not that necessary. I spent all of May dedicated to studying and working part-time ~25hrs a week.

I'm graduating December. I would have January-June to re-study for it, so time really would not be an issue.

What this question is really coming down to is... I really want to go the University of Michigan law school, but realize this is nearly impossible at this point. I'm not opposed to other schools (like GW or W&M), but would really like to know if waiting a year and possibly attending UMich is a better option than attending one of these schools (probably at sticker?)

Thanks for the advice guys.

decaf735
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:39 am

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby decaf735 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 pm

take a year off if you can afford it and retake LSAT next June. check out the "preparing for LSAT" threads for study tips. needless to stay spending only a month studying "hard" while working 25 hrs/ week might not have been the best. I would argue you need 170 MINIMUM, but possibly 172 to overcome your gpa.

at 167 though I'm sure it's possible, and you shouldn't revert to going to GWU or WM

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:51 pm

UMichattic wrote:I'm not opposed to other schools (like GW or W&M), but would really like to know if waiting a year and possibly attending UMich is a better option than attending one of these schools (probably at sticker?)


Oh god, yes. A million times yes.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby bdubs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:54 pm

You need to retake because you won't get GW and are questionable at W&M with those numbers.

User avatar
BiglawOrBust
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:51 pm

bdubs wrote:You need to retake because you won't get GW and are questionable at W&M with those numbers.


At first I thought this sumbitch was high as a kite, but I checked LSN and damn was he right!

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby law4vus » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:06 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
bdubs wrote:You need to retake because you won't get GW and are questionable at W&M with those numbers.


At first I thought this sumbitch was high as a kite, but I checked LSN and damn was he right!


Check my profile. It can happen.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:14 pm

law4vus wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:
bdubs wrote:You need to retake because you won't get GW and are questionable at W&M with those numbers.


At first I thought this sumbitch was high as a kite, but I checked LSN and damn was he right!


Check my profile. It can happen.


you inspire hope in us all

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby mattviphky » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 pm

that's actually perfect, graduate in December and study at a nice pace for June. I think you're capable of 170+, you just gotta put in the time. If u want Michigan that bad then use it for motivation and you'll succeed. good luck!

UMichattic
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby UMichattic » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 pm

First off, thanks for all the advice. I'm seriously considering taking a year off, but am still looking to avoid this down time and thus still exploring options.

What are your thoughts on applying this fall, graduating in December, and retaking in February. I'll have from graduation in mid-Dec to the Feb LSAT to study and could always cancel if PTs are testing where they should.

How would this affect Fall 2012 applications?
(i.e. waitlists? assuming my best case scenario Is WL at UM)

Just feeling out my options, as always, an advice is appreciated.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby Kabuo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:41 pm

UMichattic wrote:First off, thanks for all the advice. I'm seriously considering taking a year off, but am still looking to avoid this down time and thus still exploring options.

What are your thoughts on applying this fall, graduating in December, and retaking in February. I'll have from graduation in mid-Dec to the Feb LSAT to study and could always cancel if PTs are testing where they should.

How would this affect Fall 2012 applications?
(i.e. waitlists? assuming my best case scenario Is WL at UM)

Just feeling out my options, as always, an advice is appreciated.


Feb test taking is terrible for that cycle. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kabuo

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:45 pm

GWU & Wm. & Mary will accept or waitlist you with a 167/3.3. Michigan is a much better option. Retake the LSAT & apply to Michigan if you receive a higher score.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: I want to go to Michigan, but...

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:52 pm

retake in December or June (I personally hate February). A 170 or 171 could get you in, possibly with some money




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pozzo, roboyle and 1 guest