I need help. 2.87/153 -very confused.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DocHawkeye

Re: I need help. 2.87/153 -very confused.

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:If BigLaw is not your goal, you might consider some T-3 schools that dominate their local markets...Creighton University is another good example. It places extremely well in Omaha. Nebraska is another state with only two law schools.

That is tons of debt to service with a $40,000 a year salary if you are lucky dude. I am from the state and UNL is much more widely respected, even in Omaha.

Are you a law student at UNL?

Nope but I will be applying.

Not to derail this thread, but I'm a 1L at UNL and love it. PM me if you have questions or want to chat.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:13 pm

Grizz wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
top30man wrote:Most tier 3 and tier 4 schools only get between 40 and 60% of their class into jobs that require a JD. The jobs that they do get pay between 30 and 60 thousand. Most grads will end up not even vaguely practicing law, and hence, your ROI, even without debt, would be a wasted three years (statistically speaking).

Is this backed up by any current numbers? It seems absurdly optimistic

The only tier 3 I can recommend is Stetson. It's a nice school that can provide students with a great job in Tampa or the Central Florida area. 95% employment 9 months after. I think I'd actually recommend Stetson over WVU now that I think about it. You need about the same LSAT as WVU to have a shot.

Look into Stetson instead of WVU. You may like it more

lol have you been to central FL lately? Slaughterhouse.

Went to UCF for undergrad 08-11 so I think I qualify as "been to central FL lately".

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:16 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
The only tier 3 I can recommend is Stetson. It's a nice school that can provide students with a great job in Tampa or the Central Florida area. 95% employment 9 months after. I think I'd actually recommend Stetson over WVU now that I think about it. You need about the same LSAT as WVU to have a shot.

For all I know, it's true that Stetson can lead to a great job in Tampa. That said, the 95% employment number is, charitably speaking, an extremely manipulated figure and practically worthless.

Regardless, Stetson has IMO a better chance of a good job than WVU.

Based off of what? Stetson is competing against, what, 5 other Florida schools? May be more?

The top 30% of the class at WVU has their pick of the mid-big law firms in the state along with the Article III clerkships (I think it's top 50 in percentage of students in an Article II clerkship, from what admissions mentioned -- about 4-5% per year of the students). WV firms hire pretty much exclusively from WVU students and there are a few solid ones. The cost of living here is near non-existant. Frankly, the school pretty much tells you that if you are top 30% you are set. The rest of the students fight for smaller law firm positions, etc. But pretty much every person practicing in the state comes from WVU. It also reaches a bit into Western Maryland, Eastern Kentucky, etc. If you're top of your class, you can also get in somewhere in Pittsburgh.

That's the reason I chose it over some other similarly ranked schools.

If I had a better GPA, I'd be going to a better school. I don't, so I had to pick and choose. But this is a solid regional school that places well out here. It's gorgeous out here and is fucking dirt cheap to live. The school is also pretty cheap. Under 30K for out of state and they give out money like it's candy if you are above median on the LSAT.

Getting a job in Central FL > job in West Virginia. That's a fact.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:26 pm

I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question. I'm kind of drunk from celebrating fall break. But wtf is UNL? I can't think of anything that fits those letters. University of Northern Louisiana?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Kabuo wrote:I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question. I'm kind of drunk from celebrating fall break. But wtf is UNL? I can't think of anything that fits those letters. University of Northern Louisiana?

Nebraska Lincoln

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:29 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question. I'm kind of drunk from celebrating fall break. But wtf is UNL? I can't think of anything that fits those letters. University of Northern Louisiana?

Nebraska Lincoln

Lol, and now it's so obvious.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:30 pm

The University of Nebraska - Lincoln. The state of Nebraska has only one state university, with campuses at Omaha, Lincoln (the flagship campus - home of the Huskers), Kerney, and the Medical Center (which is in Omaha, but is its own entity). Everyone outside of Nebraska simply calls it "Nebraska" but the locals refer to it as UNL.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:39 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Getting a job in Central FL > job in West Virginia. That's a fact.

It's better? It's easier? It's to the left? What does the arrow even mean, there? I have no idea what the fact even is.

Looking at Law School Transparency, WVU has about 40% reporting rate for salaries.

Stetson? A smoking hot 15%.

So it can't be easier. Guessing you mean living in Central Florida is better? That's all subjective. I'm sure the money goes a lot further than it does in WV, where there is a much better chance at getting a decent paying job in comparison.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:59 pm

noleknight16 wrote:

I'm sorry if you're seriously considering Stetson, or god forbid are already a student there. 99% employment? Try 26% reporting salary stats at all: --LinkRemoved--

You know why schools like this typically have such low response rates? Because they only solicit students who actually have jobs. 70-80% unemployment at graduation, yum!

And before you tell me I know nothing about law in Florida, I grew up in Florida, worked for firms there, know plenty of lawyers, and I can tell you, Stetson, FIU, Nova, Barry University, Florida A&M, St. Thomas, are all looked at by basically every practicing lawyer at a decent firm as being awful schools. I mean, when you have schools like UM, UF, and FSU, which are all positively awful as well as the best law schools in the state, you know Florida is a real fucking shithole.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:00 am

I don't count the 7% unemployed as "reporting salary", haha. 26% makes it look nice. The real number is about 14-15% reporting.

Return to “What are my chances?”