3.0 from Dartmouth versus 3.0 from state school Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
m3taphysician

New

Re: 3.0 from Dartmouth versus 3.0 from state school

Post by m3taphysician » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
m3taphysician wrote:People love to go on the offensive on people who went to stellar undergrad schools, and who are (understandably, reasonably) hopeful that it will help them in admissions considerations. That much is clear. People like bildungsroman, soj, etc. are obviously reveling in announcing the unimportance of the quality of the undergrad institution. You guys sound bitter, immature, and, frankly, like a bunch of fucking losers.
you mad
You're the one who's mad. Or maybe you have an inferiority complex.
See this gem:
Bildungsroman wrote:What the fuck is a "T20" undergrad? Your undergrad is extremely unprestigious and unimpressive hth.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:00 pm

m3taphysician wrote:People love to go on the offensive on people who went to stellar undergrad schools, and who are (understandably, reasonably) hopeful that it will help them in admissions considerations. That much is clear. People like bildungsroman, soj, etc. are obviously reveling in announcing the unimportance of the quality of the undergrad institution. You guys sound bitter, immature, and, frankly, like a bunch of fucking losers.
Or perhaps we're happy that we saved a shit-ton of money and ended up in a good place. I have no sympathy for people who attend top schools, get shit grades, and then want to be rewarded for slacking off.
The Committee primarily uses your cumulative GPA as calculated by the Credential Assembly Service (CAS). We will also look at the GPA at your undergraduate degree institution, the GPA within your major, the percentile ranking in comparison to other law school candidates from the same institution (as reported by CAS), academic honors, the difficulty of the academic program, the quality of the degree-conferring institution, and any trends in your academic performance. Because we consider many factors, our admitted students show considerable GPA variation and we accept students from a wide range of undergraduate institutions.
Margins, man. Margins.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Does anything about this graph suggest that the degree-conferring institution matters?

m3taphysician

New

Post by m3taphysician » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Does anything about this graph suggest that the degree-conferring institution matters?
Fair enough. (Finally, a reasonable post.)

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:08 pm

m3taphysician wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
you mad
See this gem:
Bildungsroman wrote:What the fuck is a "T20" undergrad? Your undergrad is extremely unprestigious and unimpressive hth.
yeah, it's easy for one to develop an inferiority complex in the face of a mighty Emory/Vanderbilt/NotreDame/Rice grad.

Also, why you so mad though?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

m3taphysician

New

Post by m3taphysician » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
m3taphysician wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
you mad
See this gem:
yeah, it's easy for one to develop an inferiority complex in the face of a mighty Emory/Vanderbilt/NotreDame/Rice grad.

Are you currently attending law school?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Bildungsroman wrote: yeah, it's easy for one to develop an inferiority complex in the face of a mighty Emory/Vanderbilt/NotreDame/Rice grad.

You just wait. His big name school's gonna blow everyone out of the water come OCI time. If there's one thing that makes up for shitty grades and a shittier personality, it's undergraduate prestige.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:13 pm

m3taphysician wrote: Are you currently attending law school?
Yes I am.

I assume this question laid the groundwork for a trap designed to ensnare my feeble mind in your powerful cranium's machinations. Have mercy on me!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Does anything about this graph suggest that the degree-conferring institution matters?
Yes, indeed it does. I clicked on that graph and found these people:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/utilitystepstool/jd - below medians but top 10 undergrad and PhD. Maybe it helped?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/babayaga/jd - borderline stats for CCN, but got into NYU off waitlist. top 20 undergrad.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ilovemulch/jd - also borderline stats, top 15 undergrad and into NYU

case in point: I wonder if it DOES matter a bit for borderline candidates...??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:19 pm

freestallion wrote:
Yes, indeed it does. I clicked on that graph and found these people:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/utilitystepstool/jd - below medians but top 10 undergrad and PhD. Maybe it helped?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/babayaga/jd - borderline stats for CCN, but got into NYU off waitlist. top 20 undergrad.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ilovemulch/jd - also borderline stats, top 15 undergrad and into NYU

case in point: I wonder if it DOES matter a bit for borderline candidates...??
I don't think anyone's denying it can make a difference in borderline cases.

m3taphysician

New

Post by m3taphysician » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Yes I am.

I assume this question laid the groundwork for a trap designed to ensnare my feeble mind in your powerful cranium's machinations. Have mercy on me!
Nope; I just wanted to know. Thanks.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:25 pm

I think that's the conclusion here. It can help in borderline cases but otherwise, for two people squarely above/below both medians for instance the quality of undergrad probably doesn't make much of a difference.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:29 pm

m3taphysician wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Yes I am.

Now this is some real fancy book learnin' here. Why just you lookee at that them thar period all on toppa that comma!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:58 pm

paratactical wrote:
m3taphysician wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Yes I am.

Now this is some real fancy book learnin' here. Why just you lookee at that them thar period all on toppa that comma!
I IMMENSELY enjoyed reading this sentence in this accent to myself in my head.

/weirdo

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:15 pm

These threads seethe with posts like "I went to a good school and think it should/might/will make up for my lower GPA for law school admissions!!!" and "I went to a crappy UG and think it should/might/will never matter again now that I go to a good law school...EVER!" Neither's correct.

Your UG's not going to make up for a lackluster GPA when applying to law school. That said, I can't see a situation where it'll hurt you, in LS admissions or life in general. Get over the superiority complex and move on.

Your UG will be on your big law bio and resume for the rest of your career. Even if you go to YLS, people will always wonder why you decided to go to Eastern Mountain State Junior College. That's just the way humans work. Get over the inferiority complex and move on.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:17 pm

MrKappus wrote:These threads seethe with posts like "I went to a good school and think it should/might/will make up for my lower GPA for law school admissions!!!" and "I went to a crappy UG and think it should/might/will never matter again now that I go to a good law school...EVER!" Neither's correct.

Your UG's not going to make up for a lackluster GPA when applying to law school. That said, I can't see a situation where it'll hurt you, in LS admissions or life in general. Get over the superiority complex and move on.

Your UG will be on your big law bio and resume for the rest of your career. Even if you go to YLS, people will always wonder why you decided to go to Eastern Mountain State Junior College. That's just the way humans work. Get over the inferiority complex and move on.
u mad 2?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
MrKappus wrote:These threads seethe with posts like "I went to a good school and think it should/might/will make up for my lower GPA for law school admissions!!!" and "I went to a crappy UG and think it should/might/will never matter again now that I go to a good law school...EVER!" Neither's correct.

u mad 2?
Mad as u. Sure.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 pm

MrKappus wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

u mad 2?
Mad as u. Sure.
Why u mad tho?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

u mad 2?
Mad as u. Sure.
Why u mad tho?
Same as u.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:42 pm

lol

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:48 pm

soj wrote:
lol
U mad u didn't go to a stellar undergrad? :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:51 pm

soj wrote:
lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:54 pm

soj wrote:
lol
i wish m3ta knew why that statement was so ridiculous/funny. :lol:

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
soj wrote:
lol
i wish m3ta knew why that statement was so ridiculous/funny. :lol:
Nah I prefer it this way.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 pm

OK. I'm coming into this thread. Number one reason I find it funny:

Everyone agrees that it DOES make a difference on the margins (e.g. you have two applicants who scored a 167 and came straight through and have almost identical GPAs). Everyone also appears to agree that it doesn't make a bit of a difference if the GPAs are substantially different.

All that being said, I'm glad I went to an shitty undergrad where I studied 4 hours a week and got a 3.5. Means I am well rested for the big game.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”