162/169/3.31...Chance my schools!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Cartman

162/169/3.31...Chance my schools!

Postby Cartman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Hey folks, here's what I've got so far: I took Oct. 2010 and got a 162, but I wasn't planning on applying that cycle so I retook June 2011 and got a 169. My UGPA is a 3.31 due to a poor first year at community college. Since transferring to my 4 year university, my GPA and degree GPA are both 3.78. Strong upward trend, yes...does it really matter? Probably not a whole lot. 2 strong LoR's, both from professors. Decent softs, treasurer of Philosophy club, part of a team that won a regional debate championship, some awards here and there, and I've worked part-time throughout the last couple years of college. Nothing spectacular, but I haven't been sitting on my ass either.

Reach Schools:
Vanderbilt - Sent me a fee waiver, so I figured why not.
University of Texas Austin
University of California Irvine (Brand new law school, but stats put it mid T-1)
University of Washington (Averages LSATs, makes it a little more of a reach)

Target:
University of Colorado
UC Irvine is somewhat of a target/somewhat of a reach.
University of Wisconsin
Emory
University of Minnesota

Safety:
Lewis and Clark
University of Arizona
Arizona State University

A bunch of schools sent me waivers so I'm applying to them too...why not, right? The main ones I'm really hoping for are UC Irvine, U Washington, U Wisconsin, U Colorado, and of course UT Austin...but I think that one's the longest shot...

Kabuo

Re: 162/169/3.31...Chance my schools!

Postby Kabuo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:45 pm

UT seems pretty far-fetched. Vandy doesn't like GPAs like yours, but they make exceptions sometimes. Not sure about Washington. Seems like a tough one to figure out based on numbers. Definitely in at UCI. Unsure about Colorado, as they can be tough to predict based on numbers too. You definitely have a shot there and at Washington though. In at Emory and Wisconsin and Minnesota. In or YP'd at your safeties.

Also, whether you want to go to WUSTL or not, I would apply since they're almost certainly going to send you a fee waiver. They'll give you a > half scholly, which you might be able to use to negotiate at some of these schools.

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:26 am

OP, where is it that you are hoping to practice? These schools are kind of all over the board, based on both ranking and region (why UofA and UCI, but not Hastings, for instance?). You could be in at Arizona, but that doesn't help much if you're hoping to practice in Seattle or even LA.

Are you in-state at UW? That school is harder to predict, but being in-state would certainly help. How sold are you on applying this cycle? A 3.3x and even one or two points higher on the LSAT will open up a lot more doors. IIRC, 3.3 and 17x is in at Vandy, or at least was last year, and you'd have some legitimate ED potential at MVP, especially with an addendum for that first year of community college.

Otherwise, I agree you look solid on your targets and safeties, numbers wise, and echo the slim shot on UT (based on GPA) and the unpredictability of UW in particular.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:13 am

Try Cornell, you never know. I've seen success there with your numbers.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey folks,

Thanks for the replies! I'm in state at California. Also, tbh as you can tell I'm not entirely sure where I'd like to practice law. I know that generally speaking (unless you go to a T-14) you'll probably end up at a regional school and, consequently, practicing law regionally where job prospects are better.

More or less, my plan was apply to just a bunch of different schools and see what takes me and how much they offer me. Then I'll go through the schools that do and analyze them carefully, visiting and seeing what the best fit is. I appreciate the advice on applying to Cornell and WUSTL. My GF is from Missouri originally, and absolutely loathed St. Louis. I don't think I could get her to go back, nor do I really want to either. Unbelievably high crime, big city, crappy weather, bleh. But I will probably go ahead and apply to see if it helps leverage-wise. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the whole using leverage to get better deals at other schools to be honest. I wonder if anyone has a good link to send me to that would give me an idea about what it entails? Maybe some tips?

Thanks for the advice! Anyone else have any suggestions?

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:39 pm

Out of your reach, you might get into Vandy off with WL. Not sure at all about Irvine but I would say I would not risk going to a school where you have unknown employment perspectives in this economy. Rest of reaches no shot due to GPA.

Throw WUSTL, BU, GW, and some others around that range an app and see what happens. If you throw in your app EA to Cornell right now, you might have a shot there as well.

Given your numbers, you are unlikely to get much money from most schools and will likely need to take out 100k+ anyways. I would shoot high as possible.

Some schools have GPA floors. I think you'll find a lot of west/south state schools have these high floors that will shut you out.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:46 am

Midwest schools may bite on your LSAT, although from what it sounds like your girlfriend wants no part of that lol. IU-B, UIUC, WUSTL

Return to “What are my chances?”