168/2.82 LSDAS--will holistic approach get me into T1?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
balanz

168/2.82 LSDAS--will holistic approach get me into T1?

Postby balanz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi there! So here's my deal:

Average caucasian female

168 on lsat--no retakes or cancels

2.82 GPA-- had a shaky start with a dismissal/probation (covered in an addendum) but clear upwards trend at a highly ranked university, double majored in Classical Language (ancient greek) and English Lit

Worked full time for a year (will be 2 years by fall of 2012) after undergrad for a respected attorney

Involved in non profit work through the attorney, writing for an org's newletter/in think tanks/letters to congress etc

Great LORs

I believe my PS to be pretty stellar as well

I would really like to get into UC Davis, Boulder or Hastings....am I wasting my time due to my crap GPA?

Thanks so much
Last edited by balanz on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Re: 168/2.82 LSDAS--will holistic approach get me into T1?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:49 pm

People are going to tell you to retake. Honestly, the outlook doesn't look so great, especially if you're shooting for California. If you think you've COMPLETELY MAXED OUT your LSAT potential (ie, scored a little above what you were previously PTing) then perhaps a retake isn't the best idea. Otherwise, definitely consider studying more, retaking the LSAT this Feb/June, getting another year of WE, and applying to some splitter friendly T14s (NU/GULC) next cycle. A 173+ would help you a lot.

Also, check out http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com and http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

I'm also tagging this post because we have similar stats (except I retook this month) and I'm interested to hear people's input.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:People are going to tell you to retake. Honestly, the outlook doesn't look so great, especially if you're shooting for California. If you think you've COMPLETELY MAXED OUT your LSAT potential (ie, scored a little above what you were previously PTing) then perhaps a retake isn't the best idea. Otherwise, definitely consider studying more, retaking the LSAT this Feb/June, getting another year of WE, and applying to some splitter friendly T14s (NU/GULC) next cycle. A 173+ would help you a lot.

Also, check out http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com and http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

I'm also tagging this post because we have similar stats (except I retook this month) and I'm interested to hear people's input.

Same reason. A bit better of a GPA but we'll see on the LSAT. Close enough for it to be negligible GPA wise imo.

I think a 168 gives you plenty of options at a T30 school even. I didn't look at any CA school in particular but the outlook isn't so bleak. Do everything you can in your app to make up for your GPA and while yes, you'll get dinged or WLed/dinged at a bunch of places, you should have some decent/surprising admits as well imo.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:48 pm

I had around a 2.8 and 173. WL'd/rejected at Boulder, didn't apply anywhere in Cali b/c they are GPA whores. You probably have a shot at WUSTL with a 168, that seems to be their cut off. I hate to say it because it seems to be the go to mantra around here, but you should probably retake. With a GPA under 3.0 it is important to score as high as possible on the LSAT. If you think you can even get a point or two higher you'll open up more doors. I know it sucks to hear but you need to do what you can to offset that GPA, and scoring big on the LSAT is about it.

Return to “What are my chances?”