Who will they see me as? What are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jpal13

Who will they see me as? What are my chances?

Postby jpal13 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:30 pm

I am a non-traditional, I think that makes my whole picture critical so I thank anyone in advance for their input.

What is the average school's perception of the non-traditional? Do they want to limit the numbers of older students (I am 30, not sure how old that makes me to everyone else)? Are they hunting for us non-traditionals to some degree to add diversity?

I took the LSAT twice, once in June this year (165) and I am positive I scored 170 or 170+ this Oct because I had time to study and consistently scored 170+ on practice tests. I left the test feeling I did as well or better than I did in practice.

I have a BA major in Classics with 3.75 LSAT GPA from Emory University. I always wonder if it matters where you did your undergrad? It seems not to matter to these forums in general unless it was an Ivy League. I have some nice accomplishments from undergrad: won a fellowship to study abroad in Greece for the summer and spent a summer of study at Oxford.

I have an MBA from a little known school (4.0 GPA though grad school GPA does not matter).

I had been working at Morgan Stanley till August of this year. I left to take a better job (I think) at a CPA firm, I work as a wealth consultant for their accounting clients. I have 2 excellent recs one from my Morgan Stanley boss saying how he manages 120+ employees and I stood out for my determination and character (he mailed me a copy as well as sent a copy to LSAC. I did not ask him to do that but I did get the chance to read it). While I was there I achieved what they call the "pacesetters award" and he explained what that meant in the rec.

The other rec is from the Executive Director of an arts related non-profit. I have served on the non-profits board of directors for the past 2 years. The ED loves me, I have done a lot for them so I know that will be good.

I have been having trouble writing my personal statement but let's assume it is mediocre-to-good. I am preparing my school apps so as soon as I get my Oct score all apps will go out and I will have applied to all the schools by Nov 1 (should they go out sooner before the Oct score is reported? I think that is pointless if they have to hold the app for the new score and also I don't want the more selective schools dismissing me off hand).

Finally... I am wondering how it will effect my chances if when I was 19 (sophomore in college) I have a misdemeanor marijuana charge. I went through a pre-trial intervention program and basically it ended up in 15 hours of volunteer work as a penalty. I am 30 now and way different from the silly girl smoking during spring break.

I am a Jewish female not exactly a URM and just a FL resident.

So.... let's assume I got a 170 in Oct, what are my chances at?

BU
BC
U of Mich
Emory
Vanderbilt
U of Va
U of Florida
Northwesten
Georgetwon
George Washington
USC
UCLA
Cornell
Duke
U of Texas, Austin

Thank You!

LawSchoolChampion

Re: Who will they see me as? What are my chances?

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:22 pm

In everywhere with a 170.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Hypothetical 170+ LSAT? This thread might help you

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=167565

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks for the response and the encouragement LawSchoolChampion although I think your saying in everywhere is a bit of a stretch! I would love to think that but I'm hoping to eke out one or two acceptances on that list.

bmore

Postby bmore » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:05 pm

With a 170, in everywhere. Aim higher!

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:11 pm

OMG! You guys are making my day, I really have had a bleak perspective on my chances against all the younger, smarter and more accomplished applicants I see on this forum.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:12 pm

jpal13 wrote:Thanks for the response and the encouragement LawSchoolChampion although I think your saying in everywhere is a bit of a stretch! I would love to think that but I'm hoping to eke out one or two acceptances on that list.
Seriously? If you really do get a 170, that list is aiming way too low. Blanket the T14, at least from CCN on down.

Yes, this is a useful link for you. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=167565

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:35 pm

In everywhere but the T4 with a 170.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:45 pm

I don't think that the non-traditional status matters nearly as much as you think. Schools like to balance their classes out with older applicants, but they really don't care whether you've got a grand plan or a coherent story. Law school admissions are not MBA admissions.

I think your GPA puts you in a pretty good position at most of the schools you listed, you should do really well if you scored in the range that you think. If you did even better (173+) you might even have a shot at Harvard.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 am

I know there is a TLS thread for older applicants somewhere. I am looking for it. Meanwhile, is there a study anywhere or on LSN about how older applicants (30+ or 35+) fare in admissions? Do they outperform their numbers?

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

I know of at least 4 30 year olds in my class. And aim higher if you do get into the 170s. I would even toss an app to H and S. GPA is a tad low, but you never know, especially since H is supposedly starting to value WE.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 am

jim-green wrote:I know there is a TLS thread for older applicants somewhere. I am looking for it. Meanwhile, is there a study anywhere or on LSN about how older applicants (30+ or 35+) fare in admissions? Do they outperform their numbers?

I don't know of a study, but anecdotally it seems like the non-trads I know tend to outperform their numbers. Intuitively it makes sense because your non-trad story isn't likely to hurt your numbers; at worst it just won't help.

OP: Aim higher. Schools do like to have age diversity in the class. I got in to Berkeley with numbers significantly lower than yours. It doesn't mean they'll all take you, but you don't want to miss out on an opportunity simply because you didn't apply.

Edit to add I was 43 when I started.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:47 am

Yeah if you do hit 170 or 171 you need a new list. I would cut BU,BC, everything below Cornell really. I just don't think those schools are worth the time or money it would take to apply. You won't end up there. You'll likely have good numbers and a really interesting background. There has to be a good personal statement in there somewhere.

The weed thing is a decade old, write a 3 sentence addendum and be done or just include a paragraph on the application where they ask.

One concern is you have no letters from professors, which schools usually like. It's been a while since undergrad for you, so don't sweat it, but it's a thought.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:47 am

Yeah if you do hit 170 or 171 you need a new list. I would cut BU,BC, everything below Cornell really. I just don't think those schools are worth the time or money it would take to apply. You won't end up there. You'll likely have good numbers and a really interesting background. There has to be a good personal statement in there somewhere.

The weed thing is a decade old, write a 3 sentence addendum and be done or just include a paragraph on the application where they ask.

One concern is you have no letters from professors, which schools usually like. It's been a while since undergrad for you, so don't sweat it, but it's a thought.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 am

I think I remember reading that most schools prefer letters from employers if you've been out of UG for more than 4 years (in a real job).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:01 am

vulpixie wrote:In everywhere but the T6 with a 170.

fixed. You'll need a higher gpa or LSAT for C, N

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:24 pm

I don't think a rec from a professor would help me because even though I stood out at the time I have been out of undergrad for 9 years and I never kept in touch with professors (lesson to younger applicants, stay in touch). I doubt they would write a stellar rec which memories so "unfresh". I could get a rec from an MBA professor, but I like the rec from the Executive Director of the nonprofit because it highlights that experience which I would otherwise just have on a line of my resume. And my rec from my employer is awesome and I feel very necessary.

Return to “What are my chances?”