3.76/170, T14?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cpsweet16

3.76/170, T14?

Postby cpsweet16 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:23 pm

I posted in this section a while ago, but I now have a better sense of what my app will look like, so I'm looking for some fresh opinions. 3.76 at a top 10 undergrad (upward trend each year), 170 (took once). Modesty aside, I think I have quite a good PS, which started out as a diversity statement about coming out as LGBT. My resume is also good, an interesting mix of on-campus stuff and jobs/internships. This is how I hope my app is interpreted, anyway. Hoping for mid- to upper-T14, but not expecting much scholarship money. Stanford is my top choice but I know it's a reach with my GPA. Opinions?

lawyerwannabe

Re: 3.76/170, T14?

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Define mid-T14? I think you will probably end up at MVPDN.

cpsweet16

Postby cpsweet16 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 pm

I just meant somewhere in the middle, but I guess I would consider it to be CCNMBPV. Something like that.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:02 pm

ED to NYU (or Chicago?) is probably your only chance at CCN. Applying to these schools RD does not look very promising with your stats.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:47 am

Blanket the T14 minus HYS, could apply to CCN if you don't mind the app fees. This would hopefully get you at least 1 T14 with some cash.

Or, just ED to your favorite between MVP. If you want you could double dip on the ED by ED'ing to either M or P out of the gate and then ED'ing at V; or ED at V hear back in 15 days and then ED to M or P. ED'ing at V first might be the best bet since M and P can take awhile to give ED decisions.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:00 am

I would probably recommend not EDing with your stats, you may either be pleasantly surprised or want to retake. Don't count on your "good" PS to carry the weight of your application though, your PS topic frankly sounds pretty cliché.

If you really want Stanford, you need to go through the effort of having Stanford specific LORs sent in and writing a Stanford specific PS (or at least part of the PS) to make your application stand out. It's still a pretty remote possibility for a college senior with your numbers though.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:11 am

bdubs wrote:I would probably recommend not EDing with your stats, you may either be pleasantly surprised or want to retake. Don't count on your "good" PS to carry the weight of your application though, your PS topic frankly sounds pretty cliché.

If you really want Stanford, you need to go through the effort of having Stanford specific LORs sent in and writing a Stanford specific PS (or at least part of the PS) to make your application stand out. It's still a pretty remote possibility for a college senior with your numbers though.

if you really want Stanford, you need to go back to undergrad and raise your gpa by .2

Wart

Postby Wart » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 am

I agree with concensus on here. CCN is a possibilty. MVP is realistic. As far as stanford, there's still hope. While it is unlikely, they've been known to accept people on the random every once in a while.

Lisi

Postby Lisi » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:26 pm

I had a 3.78 LSAC GPA (however, on my transcript it read 3.75) and a 170. I got into NYU and decided to go to Chicago. I agree that your PS generally isn't something in which you want to invest a lot of faith (despite the claims of the 'holistic' admissions processes). That said, the LGBT might help. I was a non-traditional applicant and think I had factors that 'helped.' I think these things can help only around the margins, and I think you are somewhat on the margin for Chicago and NYU (Columbia might be a tad harder with your LSAT). If I were you and wanted to go to the best school possible (rather than caring a lot about scholarship $ at lower ranked schools), I would apply early to NYU, Chicago, or maybe Columbia. Basically, my thoughts are that your LSAT and GPA put you at the margin for CCN, and the LGBT and Early Admissions App might be two things to swing the decision in your favor. A regular decision app might land you on the WL at CCN, and your stats are both pretty good, but neither one is super high so as to be a likely factor in getting you off the WL when, for example, a school need to bolster their LSAT score statistics.

Return to “What are my chances?”