LSAT yesterday was terrible, 3.9

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mtmorce

LSAT yesterday was terrible, 3.9

Postby mtmorce » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:03 am

Hi everyone! After months of studying and pting at 173, I bombed the lsat yesterday. I didn't finish my logic game section (had to bubble in 5 or 6 randoms) or Reading Comp (had to bubble in 3. I tend to rock every section, but miss a few here and there due to stupid mistakes. I'm really incredibly nervous and am just trying to figure out if I ought to cancel. I'm not looking to go to Harvard, but would love Cornell, Penn, Michigan. Those schools seemed possible before now. I'm also applying to BU, BC, William and Mary, and Vanderbilit.
My questions are these: If I blow the LSAT as I suspect and pull a 167ish, what would my chances be at these schools (especially for BU early decision, which I may consider more strongly if I did bomb it,) both for admission and for scholarship money?

Again, I'll be graduating with a 3.9 as an Honors student at a strong state university, with really good softs and after working all through college. Any advice would REALLY help, because I am so incredibly nervous!

bk1

Re: LSAT yesterday was terrible, 3.9

Postby bk1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:04 am

If you do poorly on the LSAT you just have to retake.

mtmorce

Postby mtmorce » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 am

Although I may retake, I am interested in my chances with this particular score.

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:23 am

If you get a 167 I'd say you're probably in at all the schools you mentioned with the exceptions of Penn and Michigan. Even at those two you have some chance. EDing to BU would not be smart, as you're pretty much a lock there with those numbers.

Honestly, you have an awesome GPA and I would highly, highly recommend a retake in the event that you don't do as well as you think you can. A few extra points on the LSAT can make all the difference in the world. If you were to hit 173 you'd have a decent chance at Harvard and a very good chance at CCN on down. Even if you do end up going to a slightly lower ranked school those few points can mean the difference between just barely getting in and getting $$$.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:02 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:EDing to BU would not be smart, as you're pretty much a lock there with those numbers.

BU is now offering a full ride for ED admits. 167/3.9 could do the trick, although the LSAT probably needs to be a couple of points higher.

If you really were PTing at 173 and score a 167, you do need to retake. All of the options available to you with your 167 will still be available after a December retake.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:18 pm

mtmorce wrote:Although I may retake, I am interested in my chances with this particular score.

Umm maybe wait to see what the score is first.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:02 pm

There's a huge difference between 167 and 173, especially when you have a 3.9x GPA. 3.9/173 is in at T6 for sure, and getting $$$ at the lower T14. 3.9/167 is in at BU, probably with some $, but only has an outside shot at the T14 by EDing. You'll get little/no money if you ED to T14, so that's a huge difference there. You want Cornell, Penn, or Michigan? You'd need to retake so you could get money from them, let alone be assured of getting in.

You should not cancel, because everyone retakes the LSAT these days and schools will take the highest score. You also say "I'll be graduating" which is future tense; if you're still in college, it wouldn't hurt to wait a cycle and apply next year. A year or more of post-UG WE is worth a lot to schools these days. I'm sure "working all through college" was hard, but post-graduation WE is treated differently than experience from working in college.

If you somehow did better than you hoped, you can still apply this cycle, but if you ended up in the 167 range and know you can do better, you really should retake.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:32 pm

mtmorce wrote:Hi everyone! After months of studying and pting at 173, I bombed the lsat yesterday. I didn't finish my logic game section (had to bubble in 5 or 6 randoms)

dude I felt the exact same. I averaged 170 on pt's and feel like I totally bombed the LSAT specifically because of the games... Really hope we did better than we think

mtmorce

Postby mtmorce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Ugh-- so sorry to hear that, I know just how you feel, though. Now we get to wait it out...

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:03 pm

mtmorce wrote:Ugh-- so sorry to hear that, I know just how you feel, though. Now we get to wait it out...

I dunno if it makes you feel any better but I made a 169 on a practice test while missing 10 questions on the games (I think there were 101 questions and I only missed two questions between both logical reasoning and the reading comprehension) so it's still possible for us to have bombed the games and do better than 167

mtmorce

Postby mtmorce » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:45 pm

It does, actually!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:There's a huge difference between 167 and 173, especially when you have a 3.9x GPA. 3.9/173 is in at T6 for sure, and getting $$$ at the lower T14. 3.9/167 is in at BU, probably with some $, but only has an outside shot at the T14 by EDing. You'll get little/no money if you ED to T14, so that's a huge difference there. You want Cornell, Penn, or Michigan? You'd need to retake so you could get money from them, let alone be assured of getting in.

You should not cancel, because everyone retakes the LSAT these days and schools will take the highest score. You also say "I'll be graduating" which is future tense; if you're still in college, it wouldn't hurt to wait a cycle and apply next year. A year or more of post-UG WE is worth a lot to schools these days. I'm sure "working all through college" was hard, but post-graduation WE is treated differently than experience from working in college.

If you somehow did better than you hoped, you can still apply this cycle, but if you ended up in the 167 range and know you can do better, you really should retake.

This is really good advice, you should listen to it OP.

Return to “What are my chances?”