.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mijenks
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

.

Postby mijenks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:04 pm

.
Last edited by mijenks on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 pm

I'd say depending on how much you contributed/how instrumental you were to the employment experience you mentioned, it should help you out quite a bit. HYS maybe not so much, but you have a good shot at CCN (especially N) and an even better shot at MVP.

Best of luck.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:I'd say depending on how much you contributed/how instrumental you were to the employment experience you mentioned, it should help you out quite a bit. HYS maybe not so much, but you have a good shot at CCN (especially N) and an even better shot at MVP.

Best of luck.


Wait, WTF? This is so not true and bad advice. I don't think OP can get into CCN with those stats...

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:20 pm

I would think this is very close to the perfect NU candidate. The LSAT is a bit low but that is some awesome WE

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 pm

YourCaptain wrote:I would think this is very close to the perfect NU candidate. The LSAT is a bit low but that is some awesome WE

This.
freestallion wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:I'd say depending on how much you contributed/how instrumental you were to the employment experience you mentioned, it should help you out quite a bit. HYS maybe not so much, but you have a good shot at CCN (especially N) and an even better shot at MVP.

Best of luck.


Wait, WTF? This is so not true and bad advice. I don't think OP can get into CCN with those stats...

And this.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby law4vus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm

mijenks wrote:WE as a chemist all six years at a large pharma (same job since graduation). Have worked on a cancer drug (FDA approved), a Hep C drug (FDA approved) and a depression drug (phase IIb trials) mostly, though also contributed to a lot of other projects that were killed.


Why do you want to be a lawyer?

mijenks
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby mijenks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 pm

law4vus wrote:
mijenks wrote:WE as a chemist all six years at a large pharma (same job since graduation). Have worked on a cancer drug (FDA approved), a Hep C drug (FDA approved) and a depression drug (phase IIb trials) mostly, though also contributed to a lot of other projects that were killed.


Why do you want to be a lawyer?


The answer to that question is outside the scope of this thread.

mijenks
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

.

Postby mijenks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:35 pm

.
Last edited by mijenks on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby law4vus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:38 pm

mijenks wrote:
law4vus wrote:
mijenks wrote:WE as a chemist all six years at a large pharma (same job since graduation). Have worked on a cancer drug (FDA approved), a Hep C drug (FDA approved) and a depression drug (phase IIb trials) mostly, though also contributed to a lot of other projects that were killed.


Why do you want to be a lawyer?


The answer to that question is outside the scope of this thread.


lol okay.

To answer your question, UVA is most likely going to reject you. Unless you go to an Ivy (and even then, HYP), the rigor of your undergrad isn't factored into your application. Did your friend have a LSAT score in the 170s?

If you want UVA, you're most likely going to need a higher score. You have great WE, but law school sucks in that your numbers control most of what happens.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:42 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/neonx/jd (GPA is higher, but I do think WE can overcome that, especially if the unmentioned softs are better)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/moredatapts/jd (Non-trad, out about as long as the OP)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/willyj (UVA?)

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby law4vus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/neonx/jd (GPA is higher, but I do think WE can overcome that, especially if the unmentioned softs are better)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/moredatapts/jd (Non-trad, out about as long as the OP)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/willyj (UVA?)


All those GPAs are significantly higher than OPs, though, and work experience won't make up for that.

mijenks
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby mijenks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm actually not interested in UVa. I only added the anecdote to put the GPA in context.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby law4vus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:46 pm

mijenks wrote:I'm actually not interested in UVa. I only added the anecdote to put the GPA in context.


Then I think the other posters are correct in that Northwestern seems like a great fit for you. You stand a decent enough shot of getting in because they place so much emphasis on work experience. Cornell might be worth an app as well.

Outside the T14, WUSTL will give you $$$ for that 168.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:54 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/neonx/jd (GPA is higher, but I do think WE can overcome that, especially if the unmentioned softs are better)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/moredatapts/jd (Non-trad, out about as long as the OP)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/willyj (UVA?)

You don't wanna compare this guy with neonx. He had some other things going for him (not URM, though) that would make up for quite a bit. Namely, bomb softs and a great UG.

Also, your advice is terrible.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:07 pm

law4vus wrote:
mijenks wrote:I'm actually not interested in UVa. I only added the anecdote to put the GPA in context.


Then I think the other posters are correct in that Northwestern seems like a great fit for you. You stand a decent enough shot of getting in because they place so much emphasis on work experience. Cornell might be worth an app as well.

Outside the T14, WUSTL will give you $$$ for that 168.


+1 to WUSTL.

Don't see any way he gets into Northwestern. The only sub-170 scores they've taken on LSN in recent years are people at or above the GPA median (3.8).

mijenks
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

.

Postby mijenks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:19 pm

.
Last edited by mijenks on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:24 pm

mijenks wrote:What about outside T14?


You are in good shape outside of the T14. Texas and UCLA aren't locks because of their love for GPAs, but otherwise I don't see you having any problems from Vandy on down.

EDIT: Upon further review, looks like Vandy built an LSAT wall at 169 last year. Almost all waitlists along the 168 column. OP might have the credentials to break through though.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 3.52, 158/168, 6 yrs WE

Postby mattviphky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:53 pm

WUSTL man. check 'em out on lsn. if this cycle is like last year's then you might get 60k too. btw if money is a factor IUB will give you 120k.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, kalvano and 4 guests