2.89/167, 3 years full time WE Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shortgiraffe

New

2.89/167, 3 years full time WE

Post by shortgiraffe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 am

Hello

I have a strong upward GPA trend. My first year in UG was pretty bad (trouble adjusting, etc, the usual excuses). I graduated and have been working full time since. Not a URM but I have "cultural" experience, English is not my first language. This is my list of schools (so far, suggestions are welcome):

American
WUSTL
IU-Bloomington
SMU
George Mason
George Washington
IUIC
BC
UC Davis

Edit: I should say this is work in an office, and I've been promoted once since being here.

Thank you!

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Re: 2.89/167, 3 years full time WE

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:11 am

i say in too all of those, maybe BC can be a little hard

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:17 pm

shortgiraffe wrote: American - WAITLISTED (probably yield protection, as a lot of people with lower numbers got in)
WUSTL - WAITLISTED (they tried desperately to bump their median to 168, so they moved their 167 "wall of death" up one point)
IU-Bloomington - Didnt apply, but I'd say you have a fair shot.
SMU - Didn't apply, same as above.
George Mason - WAITLISTED (not sure what happened here, I did rush through the app a bit)
George Washington - WAITLISTED/IN/ATTENDING
IUIC - WAITLISTED (they got into some mess with their numbers so their medians dropped. You may be able to take advantage)
BC - REJECTED (I'd think you will get the same - their median is 167 but they highly weigh GPA)
UC Davis - didn't apply, this could go either way
I applied to a lot of those schools and above are my results. I have the same LSAT with a 3.3.

Also, ignore any advice the above poster gives you, as he's a troll and notoriously has no idea what he's talking about. You have good work experience but it won't let you outperform your numbers. As you can see, a lot of the schools on your list are going to waitlist or reject you. I'd throw in some more safeties to round out your cycle.

shortgiraffe

New

Post by shortgiraffe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. All the admission predictors put me at denials. I am curious as to how my work experience will factor in my favor and possibly help me with admissions.

shortgiraffe

New

Post by shortgiraffe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:33 pm

law4vus wrote:
shortgiraffe wrote: American - WAITLISTED (probably yield protection, as a lot of people with lower numbers got in)
WUSTL - WAITLISTED (they tried desperately to bump their median to 168, so they moved their 167 "wall of death" up one point)
George Mason - WAITLISTED (not sure what happened here, I did rush through the app a bit)
IUIC - WAITLISTED (they got into some mess with their numbers so their medians dropped. You may be able to take advantage)
BC - REJECTED (I'd think you will get the same - their median is 167 but they highly weigh GPA)
I applied to a lot of those schools and above are my results. I have the same LSAT with a 3.3.

Also, ignore any advice the above poster gives you, as he's a troll and notoriously has no idea what he's talking about. You have good work experience but it won't let you outperform your numbers. As you can see, a lot of the schools on your list are going to waitlist or reject you. I'd throw in some more safeties to round out your cycle.
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for safety schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:58 pm

shortgiraffe wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. All the admission predictors put me at denials. I am curious as to how my work experience will factor in my favor and possibly help me with admissions.
no, dont rely on predictors, take a look at lawschoolnumbers.com and find ur spot in the graph and then make a more legit prediction, i have lower lsat/gpa than u, and i was able to get in some T1's, so, u can definitely do better

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Not sure of the others, but probably out at WUSTL, and definitely out at BC. No way you get BC without AT LEAST a 3.0 and a better LSAT, a 167 is probably going to need a 3.4+.

I was rejected from BC with around the same GPA and a 17x LSAT.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:i say in too all of those, maybe BC can be a little hard
Um, way too generous. IU, SMU, G Mason and American are all probably in. Everywhere else could go either way

straxen

Bronze

Post by straxen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Any chance of retaking to improve your LSAT by 3-5 points? With WE that could place you squarely in NU territory.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shortgiraffe

New

Post by shortgiraffe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:59 pm

straxen wrote:Any chance of retaking to improve your LSAT by 3-5 points? With WE that could place you squarely in NU territory.
Really? I didn't think 3 years of WE was enough for NU. I am registered for December.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:02 pm

shortgiraffe wrote:
straxen wrote:Any chance of retaking to improve your LSAT by 3-5 points? With WE that could place you squarely in NU territory.
Really? I didn't think 3 years of WE was enough for NU. I am registered for December.
NU "requires" one year of WE and prefers two. Three is plenty. But you'd need a pretty kickass LSAT to compensate for your GPA. I'm thinking 172+.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:30 pm

shortgiraffe wrote:
law4vus wrote:

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for safety schools?
Where would you prefer to live and practice?

shortgiraffe

New

Post by shortgiraffe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:38 pm

I would really like to live in DC, but the east coast in general is good, as is CA and Seattle. I'm just having difficulty finding good fits because of my low GPA but not-bad LSAT.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:41 pm

shortgiraffe wrote:I would really like to live in DC, but the east coast in general is good, as is CA and Seattle. I'm just having difficulty finding good fits because of my low GPA but not-bad LSAT.
You've pretty much covered the DC area pretty well. I think Catholic is worth an app, but I'm not a huge fan of the school and I think your numbers are better than that even with the low GPA. Richmond might also be worth it. I don't know enough about schools in CA, but I'd guess you'd get some money at Pepperdine?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”