LSAT Target for Fordham 3.98 UGPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HenryClay

New

LSAT Target for Fordham 3.98 UGPA

Post by HenryClay » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi all,

What's the minimum LSAT I should be aiming for to get into Fordham FT? LSN and hourumd seem to show that 163 is the dividing line, but I know that reverse splitters are a little hard to calculate (and if my PTs are any indication I will be a reverse splitter) and Fordham seems to place a lot of emphasis on character.

Relevant info:

[*]3.98 GPA from school in Fordham's region
[*]2 years out of school -- employed half a year at a public interest organization (spent the rest of the time interning, including a stint at the most competitive internship in my field)
[*]I know Fordham also likes unusual law applicants -- I worked in the entertainment industry during college
[*]LoRs focusing on my commitment to public service
[*]Catholic -- I know Fordham Law may as well be secular, but I figure they might be interested to have a student who will be involved in an aspect of their school that many aren't
[*]Last ten PTs have been between 157-167
[*]non-URM

Thanks for the help, and don't worry -- this'll be my one hypo thread

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: LSAT Target for Fordham 3.98 UGPA

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Why in god's name would you waste a 3.98 on Fordham? If I had a 3.98, I'd be at a T6.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Why in god's name would you waste a 3.98 on Fordham? If I had a 3.98, I'd be at a T6.
if i had a 3.98, i'd be at fordham

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Why in god's name would you waste a 3.98 on Fordham? If I had a 3.98, I'd be at a T6.
Agreed.

OP, how are you prepping for the LSAT? You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least try and leverage that GPA into a T6 school. If you think there are any holes in your prep that you could be filling, then DO IT.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
Nothing you have posted to date is either funny or accurate.

OP, ignore this idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HenryClay

New

Post by HenryClay » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Oh, I'm going to apply for places in the T14 too -- certainly Berkeley and UVA ED. But I have a better idea of where I need to stand with those. Unfortunately I just think I lack the natural aptitude for the LSAT -- five months of active study (reviewing all the questions I'm even uncertain about, Powerscore, Manhattan, all the PT collections) haven't helped me break 160 that consistently. My cold diagnostic was 153.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:13 pm

HenryClay wrote:Oh, I'm going to apply for places in the T14 too -- certainly Berkeley and UVA ED. But I have a better idea of where I need to stand with those. Unfortunately I just think I lack the natural aptitude for the LSAT -- five months of active study (reviewing all the questions I'm even uncertain about, Powerscore, Manhattan, all the PT collections) haven't helped me break 160 that consistently. My cold diagnostic was 153.
Hey, my cold diagnostic was a 154 and I got my practice tests up to a 176 and never lower than a 171 in the 2 months leading up to the test. I had panic issues on test that that have since been resolved, but short story is I didn't even get to my last reading passage on my first section and ended up with a 167. Disappointing, but still a good score.

Anyway, if I can do it, you can! The LSAT is very learnable. One thing that helped me a lot was to take a full section (not a full test) on each day of study and a full test at least once to twice a week. I'd drill one specific question type per day to begin and then began to review and put everything together as I went and I began to destroy my practice exams. If there are practice questions out there that you haven't seen or done from ANY LSAT administration (even ones from the 90s), then you can continue to do better. You're obviously intelligent because o the 3.98 so don't sell yourself short.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:

OP, ignore this idiot.
i hate trolls like u giving out bad advices like that, how hard is it to answer the question someone posted? like OP's question what LSAT score he needs to get in fordham, it's simple, give a number

HenryClay

New

Post by HenryClay » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Impressive boost law4vus! And thanks for the advice. That's more or less what I've been doing, but I can certainly continue and retake if my upcoming LSAT falls on the lower end of my spectrum. Essentially it all comes down to LG. Usually I don't even miss any on RC. When I sit down and do LGs untimed I get them right -- under time constraints I end up missing about half the questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KingMenes

New

Post by KingMenes » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Always aim for 180.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:

OP, ignore this idiot.
i hate trolls like u giving out bad advices like that, how hard is it to answer the question someone posted? like OP's question what LSAT score he needs to get in fordham, it's simple, give a number
If he wanted a number, there are plenty of "numbers" sites to go on. Posting here implies that you are asking for advice. Whether he takes it is inconsequential, but we're trying to help him out and show him that he does have opportunities outside of what he's seemed to have resigned himself to.

We're trying to help him maximize his cycle given that great GPA. You, on the other hand, are telling people to attend Whittier. Not sure you can tell anyone they are giving bad advice.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:24 pm

HenryClay wrote:Impressive boost law4vus! And thanks for the advice. That's more or less what I've been doing, but I can certainly continue and retake if my upcoming LSAT falls on the lower end of my spectrum. Essentially it all comes down to LG. Usually I don't even miss any on RC. When I sit down and do LGs untimed I get them right -- under time constraints I end up missing about half the questions.
Opposite for me. I only got one wrong on my LG on my actual test, but got 10 wrong on RC. Granted, I did have to guess B on the last 7 questions bc I ran out of time. Oops!

Good thing for you is that LG is the easiest to improve on. A lot of people on this site are going to disagree with me, but the best prep books I read? Examkrackers. I don't know why, since they seem to not work for most people, but they worked for me. The way they broke down the games was perfect. The first time I took the LSAT, I got a 162 from the Bibles/Kaplan/etc. I took a year off, studied about 4 months before the exam with examkrackers, and they made the huge difference in my score. It might be worth checking out and the books are cheap + they have an online study program you can follow.

And just as a disclaimer. I do not work for Examkrackers! :P

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:

OP, ignore this idiot.
omg, I just went through your post history. what a shit show. you give some of the worst advice ever

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HenryClay

New

Post by HenryClay » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Good thing for you is that LG is the easiest to improve on. A lot of people on this site are going to disagree with me, but the best prep books I read? Examkrackers. I don't know why, since they seem to not work for most people, but they worked for me.
Hey, I'll give it a try. If 30 bucks buys me even two right answers I'll consider it money well spent

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:33 pm

kwais wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:i hate trolls like u giving out bad advices like that, how hard is it to answer the question someone posted? like OP's question what LSAT score he needs to get in fordham, it's simple, give a number
omg, I just went through your post history. what a shit show. you give some of the worst advice ever
I know, right? He's GOTTA be a troll. There's no way someone is seriously that consistent in their shitty advice giving.

OP, I recommend that you take AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE to work on your LSAT score. With a 167+ you may be looking at $$$ at Fordham, or even admissions into Cornell, CLS, or NYU (depending on how high your score is). Your GPA is EXCELLENT--I'm sure you got it through hard work. Apply that same level of dedication to the LSAT and you will see improvement.

What's your hardest section? Have you done the Powerscore Bibles yet? How have you studied so far?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:35 pm

HenryClay wrote:
Good thing for you is that LG is the easiest to improve on. A lot of people on this site are going to disagree with me, but the best prep books I read? Examkrackers. I don't know why, since they seem to not work for most people, but they worked for me.
Hey, I'll give it a try. If 30 bucks buys me even two right answers I'll consider it money well spent
Great, let me know how it goes! I just like it because it makes it very simple and intuitive for me. Like I said, it may not make sense for everyone but it made sense for me. First time I took the exam, I had -7 on LG. Second time, like I said, it was -1.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: What's your hardest section? Have you done the Powerscore Bibles yet? How have you studied so far?
Dude, I already beat you to all of this. Keep up. :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:37 pm

law4vus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote: What's your hardest section? Have you done the Powerscore Bibles yet? How have you studied so far?
Dude, I already beat you to all of this. Keep up. :P
Oh, oops! :oops: All the Jah'rakal trolling made me blind with rage, sorry! :lol:

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Missing ten on games and still managing a 160 is a dream scenario with all kinds of potential for improvement. You got this Cassius!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:23 am

KingMenes wrote:Always aim for 180.
uh, no

SYoshi11

New

Post by SYoshi11 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:30 am

Last edited by SYoshi11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:40 am

Get in the mid 160s and you will get in.

BigJohnso

Bronze

Post by BigJohnso » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Missing ten on games and still managing a 160 is a dream scenario with all kinds of potential for improvement. You got this Cassius!
i got -8 on games and got a 166..sigh

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:24 am

BigJohnso wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Missing ten on games and still managing a 160 is a dream scenario with all kinds of potential for improvement. You got this Cassius!
i got -8 on games and got a 166..sigh
Best of luck on the retake!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”