WAY over LSAT 75%, under GPA 25%

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
murray18

WAY over LSAT 75%, under GPA 25%

Postby murray18 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:27 am

I've asked before about my chances at some different schools in the southeast, and I've developed a good school list. Problem is, my lsat is far enough over the 75th percentiles at some of my schools that I'm afraid the schools will think they'r a backup and be reluctant to offer any money (even though alot of these schools are real possiblities). Is this a realistic fear, and if so how would I change their minds? Why X statement? Early applications? Etc, Etc. I know this isn't something I should really be worried about, but I would consider all of the schools on my list with $$, so I want to maximize my chances.

While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and put up my numbers and school list. PLEASE feel free to critique it.

3.02 GPA, 168 LSAT, non URM, Georgia Resident

UGA
Alabama
Florida State * indicates the schools I'm referring to above
UNC- Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
Tennessee
Ole Miss*
LSU*
Tulane
Georgia State
Miami*

bartleby

Re: WAY over LSAT 75%, under GPA 25%

Postby bartleby » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:32 am

I know UGA gives auto scholarship for that kind of LSAT, if you were an outside resident. But their tuition for residents is so cheap already. I don't think they will give you an in-state scholarship because of the GPA.

I don't think you are a lock to get into Alabama, UNC, or Tulane. I think you have a good chance, but these schools do not do that auto admit game.

After my cycle, I honestly believe that most schools just don't spend hours and hours looking at every single application and determining where scholarship money goes. Feels like a straight numbers game to me, and you can always negotiate to increase scholarships.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 am

That's sort of what I expected. UGA is definitely already a bargain, and Bama Tulane and UNC are actually the three "reach" schools I'm trying for. I'm judging by your response that you think I AM a lock at the others? If so it'll be nice to hear it from someone else besides myself haha.

So if it's a straight numbers game, theres really not much I can do to increase my chances for $$, right?

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:57 am

Apply around, everywhere that you can get a free app for within your range and everywhere else you can afford. You'll have to do scholarship leveraging come spring. "Hey school X, you're my top choice but school Y has offered me $120k to go to their prestigious institution. Would it be possible for you to reconsider how much $$ you're giving me?"

That GPA's gonna hurt you across the board though. If you wanted T25, you could probably get WUSTL if you wanted. Dunno where else in the T1 is into splitters like yourself.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:16 am

murray18 wrote:I've asked before about my chances at some different schools in the southeast, and I've developed a good school list. Problem is, my lsat is far enough over the 75th percentiles at some of my schools that I'm afraid the schools will think they'r a backup and be reluctant to offer any money (even though alot of these schools are real possiblities). Is this a realistic fear, and if so how would I change their minds? Why X statement? Early applications? Etc, Etc. I know this isn't something I should really be worried about, but I would consider all of the schools on my list with $$, so I want to maximize my chances.

While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and put up my numbers and school list. PLEASE feel free to critique it.

3.02 GPA, 168 LSAT, non URM, Georgia Resident

UGA
Alabama
Florida State * indicates the schools I'm referring to above
UNC- Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
Tennessee
Ole Miss*
LSU*
Tulane
Georgia State
Miami*

I wouldn't worry so much about YP. Splitters don't fall so neatly into categories of reach/target/safety, so peer schools don't YP splitters so much. I haven't seen much data on scholarships for those schools, but a few people with your stats got some money at UGA last cycle, so combined with in-state tuition, I would make UGA your top choice. I would add to your list Emory, and perhaps Washington & Lee, George Mason and SMU. You might also like the splitter advice I compiled here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680

Return to “What are my chances?”