2.8/ 155

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lolobunny36

2.8/ 155

Postby lolobunny36 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi, I am currently an female undergrad student at Santa Clara University on the water polo team. I am taking the October test in a week and I really want to get into Santa Clara. What are my chances getting in if I get around a 155 on the LSAT and I have a 2.8 gpa?

Jah'rakal

Re: 2.8/ 155

Postby Jah'rakal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 pm

it doesn't matter that much if you are female, but if you are black/latino, then it makes a huge difference. I think you have a good shot to get in if you can get to a 160

lolobunny36

Postby lolobunny36 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:37 pm

I am hispanic with a finance degree. I have been testing around 150.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:55 pm

i am not one of the usual elitist posters here, but still, 150-155/2.8 won't cut it for santa clara most likely, check out lawschoolnumbers.com and lawschoolpredictor.com

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:i am not one of the usual elitist posters here, but still, 150-155/2.8 won't cut it for santa clara most likely, check out lawschoolnumbers.com and lawschoolpredictor.com

I am one of those posters. You still have time to get your GPA up. Do it.

lolobunny36

Postby lolobunny36 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:38 pm

I am planning on applying early because I think I would have a better chance doing that than regular admissions. So my gpa is what it is.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Your GPA and fake LSAT won't get you in. You're below both medians, well below on the GPA, which California schools seem to favor.

Eco

Postby Eco » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 pm

You're fucked if you go to law school, because only a shitty one will let you in. Sorry :\

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:59 pm

lolobunny36 wrote:I am planning on applying early because I think I would have a better chance doing that than regular admissions. So my gpa is what it is.

well generally speaking LSAT is more important than GPA anyways, so instead of dedicating ur time to GPA, do it for LSAT instead, I think if u break 160, ur in santa clara, otherwise, there are other options like pacific, u of san fran, or socal locations like south western, chapman, whittier, all viable

total_loss

Postby total_loss » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm

lolobunny36 wrote:I am planning on applying early because I think I would have a better chance doing that than regular admissions. So my gpa is what it is.

:roll: Work to increase your GPA. If you are rejected this cycle, you can reapply next cycle with a higher GPA (and thus, greater admission chances).

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 am

Why do you want to go to law school?

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:05 am

because JD degree provides a chance to succeed that otherwise would not be available? OP probably majored in something useless like English or Poli Sci or sociology or something, a BA in those fields would land no jobs at all, so a JD, regardless where it is from, will be worth it, apply to southwestern and whittier OP, i know bunch ppl who graduated from there and are doing well

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 am

Jah'rakal wrote:because JD degree provides a chance to succeed that otherwise would not be available? OP probably majored in something useless like English or Poli Sci or sociology or something, a BA in those fields would land no jobs at all, so a JD, regardless where it is from, will be worth it, apply to southwestern and whittier OP, i know bunch ppl who graduated from there and are doing well

DUDEWHOAREYOU. Stop recommending that people go to Whittier.

...more like Shittier. Heh. :lol:

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:38 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:because JD degree provides a chance to succeed that otherwise would not be available? OP probably majored in something useless like English or Poli Sci or sociology or something, a BA in those fields would land no jobs at all, so a JD, regardless where it is from, will be worth it, apply to southwestern and whittier OP, i know bunch ppl who graduated from there and are doing well

dude i rmber seeing you on lawschoolnumbers, u had some amazing stats and acceptances, but most ppl don't have that, obviously i'd go to Havard or UCI over whittier, but what if they are not available?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:

dude i rmber seeing you on lawschoolnumbers, u had some amazing stats and acceptances, but most ppl don't have that, obviously i'd go to Havard or UCI over whittier, but what if they are not available?

Then don't go to law school.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:48 pm

This is TERRIBLE advice.

If you have a BA in PoliSci or something equally useless (like me--double major in PS/Philosophy), it will be hard to find a job, yes. Now add $150,000 of debt and 3 years of studying for a degree from a shitty law school. What happens when you can't find a job then?

That's right. You're still fucked (even more so, because you'll be overqualified for most entry-level positions) and with $150K to pay off on top of that.

Moral of the story -- don't go to a shitty school for sticker price. At the very least, go for a full scholarship without stipulations. Then when you graduate with no job prospects, at least you've only lost 3 years of your life, and you won't be paying back your loans for the next 20 years.

ETA:

If the words of the posters here aren't enough to convince you, OP, take a look at Santa Clara's Employment Data:

--LinkRemoved--

20% employed. 14% confirmed unemployed/grad students. 35% employed NOT IN A LEGAL JOB (ie, Starbucks, office bitch). 32% unknown.

Do you really want to pay $150,000 for a 20% shot at getting a legal job? Yeah. I didn't think so.
Last edited by crumpetsandtea on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

This is TERRIBLE advice.

If you have a BA in PoliSci or something equally useless (like me--double major in PS/Philosophy), it will be hard to find a job, yes. Now add $150,000 of debt and 3 years of studying for a degree from a shitty law school. What happens when you can't find a job then?

That's right. You're still fucked (even more so, because you'll be overqualified for most entry-level positions) and with $150K to pay off on top of that.

Moral of the story -- don't go to a shitty school for sticker price. At the very least, go for a full scholarship without stipulations. Then when you graduate with no job prospects, at least you've only lost 3 years of your life, and you won't be paying back your loans for the next 20 years.

All the advice I've seen that poster give has been terrible advice. It seems like he's absolutely oblivious to the enormous shitstorm the economy is right now. I'm at GW and I have second thoughts on whether it's a good idea. I can't imagine what it would be like paying sticker at Whittier.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:57 pm

not true, if you are f.ed with no chance with a worthless BA degree, then the JD from any school would help you, yeah of course it's possible that you can f. it all up and still end up with no job and heavy debts, but at least u have a chance of securing employment by performing well in school, u roll the dice when the alternative is stuck with shitty BAs

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:yeah of course it's possible that you can f. it all up and still end up with no job and heavy debts, but at least u have a chance of securing employment by performing well in school, u roll the dice when the alternative is stuck with shitty BAs

It's not just possible, but HIGHLY LIKELY you end up with no job and shitty debts at the schools you keep advocating to people, like Whittier.

In that scenario, it's better to be stuck with the BA and no debt. Get a freaking Ph.D. A Ph.D in English or Poli Sci will give you a better chance at a good career than a Whittier degree and it will cost much less because of stipends.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:12 am

Don't feed the troll.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:

I haven't even applied to lawl school yet...brah.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:26 pm

yfwgi

Return to “What are my chances?”