I know you will all tell me to retake, but...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Kess

I know you will all tell me to retake, but...

Postby Kess » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Say that it is not an option and I absolutely want to apply to law school for next cycle.

What are my chances at the following schools? I have 4.01 LSAC GPA in media studies and political science. I'm taking the LSAT on Oct 1, averaging 156-160 on practice LSATs, with 160 on the last 3.

I am a female Eastern European immigrant and I've been working for the last two years at a law firm.

Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn
St. John's
Buffalo
Hofstra
Pace
CUNY (Queens College)

Thanks.

Edit: I live in NYC, so I would be living at home for any of these schools except Buffalo.
Last edited by Kess on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Re: I know you will all tell me to retake, but...

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Since you haven't taken the LSAT, you can't retake. Rather, you should delay, study more, and then come back with your higher LSAT score and we'll tell you your odds.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:42 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Since you haven't taken the LSAT, you can't retake. Rather, you should delay, study more, and then come back with your higher LSAT score and we'll tell you your odds.

+1.

Why put in four years of hard work to get that GPA just to settle for that list of schools?

Kess

Postby Kess » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Well, I am positive that I want to be in New York. I do realize that what you all will still say to delay, but just hypothetically speaking if I were to apply with those stats to those schools, what are my chances? =)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Since you haven't taken the LSAT, you can't retake. Rather, you should delay, study more, and then come back with your higher LSAT score and we'll tell you your odds.

+39248293850928394234. With a score in the upper 160s or 170s you could be looking at Cornell/NYU/CLS, possibly even with money. Honestly you have a LOT to gain from postponing and getting a higher score later.

Postby 20121109 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

+1.

Why put in four years of hard work to get that GPA just to settle for that list of schools?

Yeah...aside from maybe Fordham, avoid all those others at sticker ITE.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Kess wrote:Well, I am positive that I want to be in New York. I do realize that what you all will still say to delay, but just hypothetically speaking if I were to apply with those stats to those schools, what are my chances? =)

All except Fordham are within reach.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Don't take it yet. Put it off, study like a maniac, and apply next cycle.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Is there a reason that you have to be in New York next year? This is quite a range of schools, and you may find better schools with a 160 if you're willing to look elsewhere (and maybe with lower COL)

Kess

Postby Kess » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Well, I already live in NYC. I would be able to live at home while attending any of those schools except Buffalo, but I am willing to consider it because of its relatively cheap tuition. While living at home, I think I would save a considerable amount of money. As you can guess, price/location is probably key for me.

Brooklyn and Cardozo are the closest schools to me (commute would be like 30 minutes) and I'd be quite happy getting into either of them.

On the other hand, as a CUNY undergrad, I have grown very accustomed to the diverse population. As far as T4 schools go, CUNY is on the top of my list. I'm not looking to go into biglaw. My dream would be to do mass communication law, but I realize that would require a better school. If I went to CUNY, I'd be happy doing public interest. I have a large amount of volunteering experiences and as cliche as this sounds, I genuinely like and want to help people.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Kess wrote:Well, I already live in NYC. I would be able to live at home while attending any of those schools except Buffalo, but I am willing to consider it because of its relatively cheap tuition. While living at home, I think I would save a considerable amount of money. As you can guess, price/location is probably key for me.

Brooklyn and Cardozo are the closest schools to me (commute would be like 30 minutes) and I'd be quite happy getting into either of them.

On the other hand, as a CUNY undergrad, I have grown very accustomed to the diverse population. As far as T4 schools go, CUNY is on the top of my list. I'm not looking to go into biglaw. My dream would be to do mass communication law, but I realize that would require a better school. If I went to CUNY, I'd be happy doing public interest. I have a large amount of volunteering experiences and as cliche as this sounds, I genuinely like and want to help people.

You can help the most people in the most effective way by going to the best school possible. People who need help will still be there next year if it's at all possible for you to put off going for a year in order to score 165+ or likely 170+. You can go to NYU or Columbia or Cornell and make a substantial difference in a lot of lives, or at the very least be more likely to do so than if you went to another school.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you're obviously smart and caring. Think about the best way for you to achieve your goals. There's always gonna be qualified people for BigLaw. And yeah, there are plenty of qualified people doing public interest work. But not as many. ACLU man, go for it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:53 am

Kess wrote:Well, I am positive that I want to be in New York. I do realize that what you all will still say to delay, but just hypothetically speaking if I were to apply with those stats to those schools, what are my chances? =)

Don't waste people's time with hypothetical scores. Enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com.

Return to “What are my chances?”