3.1 GPA prediciting 155LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
armanb89

New

3.1 GPA prediciting 155LSAT

Post by armanb89 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:03 am

Hey guys, I am currently a Senior at California State university Northridge, and will be applying to law schools soon. I am planning on taking my LSAT in December, and am currently taking a course with Power score, and private LSAT tutoring. I currently have a 3.1GPA in Political Science, but I still have 12 units left and am hoping I can raise my GPA up to 3.2 (hopefully). I have taken two practice LSAT's and I keep scoring low (134-136), and I am shooting for a 155 considering how low I started at. Ive checked law school numbers, and according to that site a 155 with my GPA should qualify me for South Western. My question is would a 3.1GPA and a 155 LSAT give me a decent chance in getting to Southwestern and/or Western State?

Thanks

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: 3.1 GPA prediciting 155LSAT

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:07 am

IBTcome back when you get a real LSAT; IBTkeep practicing until you get a respectable score; IBTdon't go to either of those schools or any that you can get into with only a 155 LSAT.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:28 am

Last edited by Yukos on Mon May 11, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

armanb89

New

Post by armanb89 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:37 am

Wow things are starting to look a little scary. I am currently doing a Judicial Internship, and I was talking to my judge about Southwestern. He was telling me how its a great school, and how most of the judges that are working at Van Nuy's court actually went to South Western. I don't really see why everybody talks to negatively about that school.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:51 am

armanb89 wrote:Wow things are starting to look a little scary. I am currently doing a Judicial Internship, and I was talking to my judge about Southwestern. He was telling me how its a great school, and how most of the judges that are working at Van Nuy's court actually went to South Western. I don't really see why everybody talks to negatively about that school.
Assumption: past hiring and past legal market will be similar to present hiring and legal market. There's some LSAT right there.

Unfortunately, this assumption is unwarranted. Even if you get into those schools I wouldn't go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:33 am

You aren't ready for the real test at all. You should practice until June or October 2012.

To be confident that you can reach a legit 155, your practice scores will need to consistently be at least in the low-160's, and once you start practicing in the 160's, you'll only want to know just how much better you can do with more practice.

It's like losing weight or getting fit: once you start seeing results you want to work out even more.

Endeavor to learn everything you can about the test, and improve your reading speed. Read the Wall Street Hournal and The Scientific American regularly. Master LR because they are half of your score. Master LG; as you get better at them they will get funner.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:57 am

Get a real score brah..

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:02 am

armanb89 wrote:Wow things are starting to look a little scary. I am currently doing a Judicial Internship, and I was talking to my judge about Southwestern. He was telling me how its a great school, and how most of the judges that are working at Van Nuy's court actually went to South Western. I don't really see why everybody talks to negatively about that school.
The guy you're speaking to sounds old (as do his friends), and the fact that he can name a few success stories doesn't mean that those stories are the norm. The law school and practice landscapes have changed dramatically. Fewer top firms recruit from lower-tiered schools - other than top 5-10% students in a normal economy. Remember, this economy is poor right now.

Think like a senior partner at a firm or a corporate department head. What's the easiest way to save time and money and maximize potential return? Voncentrate your recruiting efforts at schools that historically tend to produce better scoring students. That means everybody wants the T14/Top-20 grads first, and the very top grads from schools in their own markets. Even though we all know the students with the higher grades and scores don't necessarily make the best lawyers, they do, in the aggregate, present far less risk of failure and turnover. Firms and companies are risk-averse.

If your advisors graduated law school before the mid-1990's, I would be cautious in taking their advice about admissions, firm hiring trends or rankings and the like. They are unfamiliar with the tactics the schools and hiring firms and companies are using, or the cutthroat competition and politics involved nowadays.

It's really unfair, but, in a normal economy a middling student at UCLA has opportunities most top students at Southwestern or Chapman can never sniff. They are both really good schools, but there's a recognition and prestige factor with schools like UCLA that has long been established. In a tough economy, grads from Southwestern aren't fgetting anything unless they are in the top 5-10 (NOT % either...TOP 5-10 students)

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:57 am

OP is probably not getting into SW. But if he does he should not go. First, he is much too young. Second, he hasn't really done anything that indicates he will be a good lawyer. I highly doubt his writing skills are up to par. This sounds like just another average armenian kids with parents pushing him to be a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

armanb89

New

Post by armanb89 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Danteshek wrote:OP is probably not getting into SW. But if he does he should not go. First, he is much too young. Second, he hasn't really done anything that indicates he will be a good lawyer. I highly doubt his writing skills are up to par. This sounds like just another average armenian kids with parents pushing him to be a lawyer.
Thanks for all the responses guys. Danteshek, you aren't entirely correct. I am an Armenian kid who's parents want to see become a lawyer, but I am really passionate about a career in law. Also, I agree I do not have the best writing skills, but only practice will give me improvement.

I can see where everybody is coming from. I will not take the actual test unless I see a much better LSAT score on my practice tests. Now with my 3.1GPA is I improve my LSAT score can I expect to get into better schools than WesternState and South Western?

Thanks

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Danteshek wrote:OP is probably not getting into SW. But if he does he should not go. First, he is much too young. Second, he hasn't really done anything that indicates he will be a good lawyer.
Third, it's Southwestern.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:27 pm

You'll probably need at least a 164 for Loyola. USC and UCLA are almost certainly out of the question (you would need a stratospheric score).

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 pm

if South Western doesn't work out, I think Chapman/Whittier is a good alternative, both in and place well in the gorgeous OC

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:13 am

Jah'rakal wrote:if South Western doesn't work out, I think Chapman/Whittier is a good alternative, both in and place well in the gorgeous OC
Define "place well" --LinkRemoved--

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17 am

Jah'rakal wrote:if South Western doesn't work out, I think Chapman/Whittier is a good alternative, both in and place well in the gorgeous OC
Are you kidding? Advising someone to go to Whittier is as bad as telling them to go burn $150,000 in the middle of the street.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:58 pm

He be trollin':
Jah'rakal wrote:whittier has a five star review on yelp though, its students seem to be content

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:47 pm

How about chapman then? since you are all bashing whittier (which according to lawschooltransparency, still does ok), i went to where chapman was a couple times, nice nice area, and it is the best law school in OC still, UCI not even accredited.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Being the best fully ABA approved law school in Orange County doesn't mean shit when you're competing against UCLA, USC, UCI (to a degree), and T14 grads for jobs.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:51 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Being the best fully ABA approved law school in Orange County doesn't mean shit when you're competing against UCLA, USC, UCI (to a degree), and T14 grads for jobs.
TITCR.

With a 3.1, you need to kill the LSAT to get into a school worth going to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”