Unique Northwestern Applicant - wondering about chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
theduffman

Unique Northwestern Applicant - wondering about chances

Postby theduffman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm wanting to go straight out of undergrad, but I have a decent amount of work experience. I've worked in a law firm two summers, worked at North Texas giving lectures at a summer workshop on philosophy/space exploration, helped a friend run a music venue one summer (helped with negotiating contracts with bands, got concessions/other on the ground stuff), had a summer internship with an oil and gas company, and did some movie stuff one summer.

My other stats = 3.06 GPA with business management (originally was petroleum engineering, grades have gotten significantly better since switching major), URM (Choctaw-Apache/Hispanic), no LSAT yet but scoring between 167-169 on practice tests, two-time national champion in policy debate, great letters of rec from a legal studies professor, attorney I worked for, and director of debate at wake forest.

do I need to break 170 to make it realistic? I'm thinking about applying ED if it will increase my chances

Ginj

Re: Unique Northwestern Applicant - wondering about chances

Postby Ginj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:51 pm

We all had summer work experience. It won't count as legit work experience.

But you're URM. You'll probably get in with a 167.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:55 pm

I don't think that counts as work experience, because we all have summer experience. What NU is looking for is a full-time paid post-graduate position for at least one year.

If you have WE as a URM you can probably get in in a future cycle. Also keep in mind that their new ED program means they give full schollys to all who are accepted, making it MORE competitive than RD in all likelihood.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Why Northwestern? You can probably do better as a URM.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:06 pm

bdubs wrote:Why Northwestern? You can probably do better as a URM.

to everybody about summer experiences yeah that's what I was worried about - I really don't want to take a year off. If I don't get into northwestern I'm probably going to go to either Tulane, Emory, or Wake.

I also have never heard that Northwestern's ED = full ride. Where have you read that? Just a quick google search didn't pull anything up.

I want Northwestern because of the business atmosphere - I eventually want to open my own business, and they seem to have a softer GPA floor than the other T14 schools. I also like Chicago - I'm applying to NYU/Columbia but honestly am not a big fan of New york.

I'm only really wanting to put a lot of energy into 1 T14 school and figured Northwestern was one I had a good shot at. Any better suggestions?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:09 pm

theduffman wrote:

to everybody about summer experiences yeah that's what I was worried about - I really don't want to take a year off. If I don't get into northwestern I'm probably going to go to either Tulane, Emory, or Wake.

I also have never heard that Northwestern's ED = full ride. Where have you read that? Just a quick google search didn't pull anything up.

I want Northwestern because of the business atmosphere - I eventually want to open my own business, and they seem to have a softer GPA floor than the other T14 schools. I also like Chicago - I'm applying to NYU/Columbia but honestly am not a big fan of New york.

I'm only really wanting to put a lot of energy into 1 T14 school and figured Northwestern was one I had a good shot at. Any better suggestions?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10255200913 ... 2045/posts

It's new.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Your softs aren't bad for someone coming straight out of UG, but they're nothing special compared to the entire applicant pool, which includes people who've actually worked for a year or more or done interesting things since graduating from UG.

Not sure about chances--URM cycles are unpredictable. Your GPA is quite low so even with URM, you'll probably need to do well on your LSAT. I think NU is a lock if you can hit 170+.

Your research on the T14 is correct, but I'd consider whether you really want to go into law. Maybe business (e.g. WE->MBA) is a better choice?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:13 pm

theduffman wrote:

With that immature attitude, maybe you should take a year off.

Although you haven't taken a real LSAT yet, with a score in the range of your PTs and URM status, you should be blanketing the T-14s. And for safety schools, you'll get scholly dollars from the T30 and up range.

I mean Tulane? Really?

soj

Postby soj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
theduffman wrote:

This. When I said correct, I was referring only to the part about NU's full ride ED program and lack of a GPA floor.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:30 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
theduffman wrote:

Although you haven't taken a real LSAT yet, with a score in the range of your PTs and URM status, you should be blanketing the T-14s. And for safety schools, you'll get scholly dollars from the T30 and up range.

I mean Tulane? Really?

why is it immature to only put a lot of energy into one T-14? I am not sure of the actual likelihood of getting into any of the T14 schools (this is the first group of people that have any sort of real perspective on the issue that I've talked to about this), and I don't have enough money to fly to all of these schools and interview. I am still writing a specific personal statement to other T14 schools I'm applying to (I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, and NYU), I just meant personally interviewing/ putting a lot of hope into only one of them.

Also I am definitely looking at Tulane because I want to practice law in Louisiana/live in New Orleans when I am older and from my understanding the bar is based on civil code not common law so it would behoove me to attend a law school there. If I get into a much better law school/ get some money at a good law school, I am planning on going there, then simply getting my LLM at Tulane before I attempt to take the bar in Louisiana.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:56 pm

Of all the schools you listed, only NU and Harvard interview you. And Harvard's interview is by phone. Doesn't take much additional effort to apply to other top schools, and you certainly increase your chances of getting into a good school with $, especially since URM cycles can be unpredictable.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:07 pm

theduffman wrote:why is it immature to only put a lot of energy into one T-14? I am not sure of the actual likelihood of getting into any of the T14 schools (this is the first group of people that have any sort of real perspective on the issue that I've talked to about this), and I don't have enough money to fly to all of these schools and interview. I am still writing a specific personal statement to other T14 schools I'm applying to (I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, and NYU), I just meant personally interviewing/ putting a lot of hope into only one of them.

Its immature because it takes very little energy to apply to multiple law schools. Sorry if I sounded too harsh. The first law school application is obviously the most time-consuming (PS, DS, Why School X, Resume, LORs, LSAT, etc.), but there is a substantial drop in effort for the other applications. I literally applied to a T30 law school in 15 minutes and got a full ride...

Good. Glad there is more than one T14 on that list! My advice is to apply to all of the T14s, but at a minimum I would add Yale (its Yale), Duke (south and better than Emory), and Michigan (they give out $$$s). Not sure how I was supposed to read the "specific personal statement" but you don't need multiple PS's. One PS can be sent to all of the schools.

If it's a money issue for more applications, then ask for fee waivers from all of the schools in the T14. You will get them. If money is truly an issue, then fill out an LSAC fee waiver, that will get your application fee waived for all schools, but is approved only in the most dire of situations.

You don't fly to interviews for these schools. Northwestern is unique in their interviewing process (although it is optional, I would do it), but you interview with alums in your area (no flight necessary). Harvard does have a phone interview that is mandatory for admissions (known as the JR1 on these boards). Georgetown recently has done group interviews, but there aren't a ton of them. Cornell has interviews for borderline candidates. You can check the board for more details on interviews, but the majority of schools don't have them for admissions.

Many schools will pay or subsidize your visits in the spring for admitted students weekends (known as ASWs on these boards). Again if money is an issue, there is no need to visit a school before you are accepted.

For the likelihood of getting into these schools, check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the URM stats. Your LSAT score will be the biggest determination of your application cycle and scholarship dollars. I am pretty sure you can go to UChicago and still practice in New Orleans ;) (but in all seriousness, ask around this site about practicing in Louisiana). You can also get great feedback from the URM section of these boards.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:39 pm

fair enough. I'm not actually familiar with the process of requesting fee waivers, I'll do some research. And which schools have interviews via local alums? I don't think I've ever read anything about it.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:45 pm

thanks a lot for the suggestions by the way!

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:48 pm

theduffman wrote:fair enough. I'm not actually familiar with the process of requesting fee waivers, I'll do some research. And which schools have interviews via local alums? I don't think I've ever read anything about it.

Fee Waivers You can google each school for their fee waiver process. Some (Duke comes to mind) have an application process. Others (like Michigan) were more informal in for fee waiver requests.

Alum Interviews Just NW.
"Northwestern Law is the only law school in the country that strongly encourages all applicants to interview as a part of the admissions process."
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... rview.html

Feel free to PM me with more questions or if you need any more help. I look forward to seeing you at HLS next year :wink:

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Vandy does alumni interviews as well (not t-14 but it's t-20)

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:06 am

Hopefully2012 wrote:Vandy does alumni interviews as well (not t-14 but it's t-20)

Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:07 pm

theduffman wrote:thanks a lot for the suggestions by the way!

IMO, do a lot of digging around, reading, messing on LawSchoolNumbers graphs, and reading different admissions sites for schools. It seems like a lot of what people 'know' about applying to law school is guarded to a degree which sucks when someone who didn't know about the process is handicapped when they don't know about CAS. The information is available; you should read all that you can. I also thought interviewing was a realistic possibility but then I read up.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:27 am

SisterRayVU wrote:
theduffman wrote:thanks a lot for the suggestions by the way!

IMO, do a lot of digging around, reading, messing on LawSchoolNumbers graphs, and reading different admissions sites for schools. It seems like a lot of what people 'know' about applying to law school is guarded to a degree which sucks when someone who didn't know about the process is handicapped when they don't know about CAS. The information is available; you should read all that you can. I also thought interviewing was a realistic possibility but then I read up.

Yeah I've actually done a pretty good amount of research (I have a habit of obsessing and law school is my current fixation) but I can always do more.

btw had a question - does the fact that my major GPA is a 3.33 help at all? It's not significantly higher but it is a bit. I also scored a 171 on my practice test today - let's just hope I can pull that off on next Saturday!

soj

Postby soj » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:41 am

theduffman wrote:btw had a question - does the fact that my major GPA is a 3.33 help at all? It's not significantly higher but it is a bit. I also scored a 171 on my practice test today - let's just hope I can pull that off on next Saturday!

Nah. Good luck!

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Got a 170 today - pretty happy about it and feeling good about my chances now! Interview also went great

Return to “What are my chances?”