where should I apply

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

of my favorites...

wake
29%
gmu
No votes
UMD
14%
temple
7%
other
50%

Total votes: 14

badnewsbears

where should I apply

Postby badnewsbears » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:48 pm

I've been creeping here for awhile, but finally decided to start posting. I figured I'd get people's opinions on where I should be looking.

Industrial Engineering undergrad from a great school, I think the LSAC gpa will be a 2.9 (3.1, but I retook some courses, which improved my cumulative gpa at my school, but I think hurts my LSAC gpa). Graduated in december (2010), and have been working as an engineer since (no special accomplishments).

I've been looking at LSAT stuff for a long time, but really picked it up as of late. Im taking the LSAT oct 1st, and currently am PTing at 165 pretty consistently.. (but am making dumb mistakes still, and putting in plenty of hours every day to eliminate those).

Anyway, I want to stay on the east coast, anywhere below boston, and above south carolina. Pretty open to any kind of law. Not assuming in-state anywhere, what are my chances at places? I'm looking at wake, gmu, maryland, and a random shout-out to temple. If I absolutely rock the LSAT (..like 170... I have gotten a high PT of 169), I would apply to GW, W&M, and WUSTL (I know, not east coast.. but father went there (not for law), the pictures make it seem gorgeous, and I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Chicago... My IDEAL spot is DC/NOVA (Richmond as well), but thats flexible.

It's tough to know what kind of law specifically I want to get into (obviously haven't taken any courses yet). I could give answers, but I feel like all they would do is bias opinions (if i say i like economics/regulatory, that gives GMU a plus, if i say healthcare/environmental, maryland gets a nudge, etc).

As a disclaimer:
I'm not a URM (unless southeast asian counts)
again....Don't assume in-state anywhere
wouldn't mind living in any of the immediate areas of those schools (although to be fair, haven't been to NC, StL, non-northern VA, or Philly)
NOT BigLaw or bust (unless thats the only option of paying back sticker at any of these schools)

For those wondering why law school- I am extremely competitive by nature, I've been very interested in every law topic that I have read up on (almost all of them), but most importantly, I thrive on logical reasoning. I love that there are so many viewpoints to see every situation. Basically, in engineering, I loved the problem solving aspect. Without sounding like I'm reading off of some flyer, I want to learn the rules that we all live by, so that I can use creativity and problem solving, to optimize the accomplishments of whomever(whoever?) I work for.

Sorry this was really long, I have a lot in my head to get out. I'd really appreciate any advice I can get.

Opie

Re: where should I apply

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:01 pm

I know it's not in your target region, but I'd work on getting that LSAT up to 170ish and go for Northwestern.

badnewsbears

Postby badnewsbears » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Opie wrote:I know it's not in your target region, but I'd work on getting that LSAT up to 170ish and go for Northwestern.

I would love to go there, but pretty sure I don't have a shot. I would guess my LSAT would have to come in at mid 170's or so?... which would be a collection of all the best practice sections I've ever done...

My work experience isn't enough to give me any sort of an edge... considering I would have been working for under a year by the time I apply.

But obviously, if I get an LSAT score in the 170s... that would be a game changer for sure.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Imo, go to lawschoolnumbers and go to graphs for last year. Look at where the red and green dots are at your LSAC GPA for the schools you want. If you see NO green dots at or below or close to your GPA, it's probably not a good place to apply. If you do see green, though, and it's not URM, go for it! If you can get high 160s, I think you'd have a shot a GMU? But I don't know; I haven't looked in a couple weeks and I haven't looked at their graph.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:26 pm

You need a real LSAT score before deciding where to apply in your situation.

badnewsbears

Postby badnewsbears » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:23 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:Imo, go to lawschoolnumbers and go to graphs for last year. Look at where the red and green dots are at your LSAC GPA for the schools you want. If you see NO green dots at or below or close to your GPA, it's probably not a good place to apply. If you do see green, though, and it's not URM, go for it! If you can get high 160s, I think you'd have a shot a GMU? But I don't know; I haven't looked in a couple weeks and I haven't looked at their graph.

Thanks for the tip, I never looked at the graphs before just now... things aren't looking great, but I guess thats just more motivation to try harder

badnewsbears

Postby badnewsbears » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You need a real LSAT score before deciding where to apply in your situation.

true true... Just during my downtime, on the off chance that I'm not working/studying.. I'm trying to get together other parts of my applications, so that I can get them out as soon as I have an LSAT score. I wanted to start looking at applications for schools I would realistically be applying, to see what they require individually (such as general essays vs a "Why ___ Law" etc.)

I know it's looking ahead, but I also can't help but wonder.

Thanks for you input though.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:55 am

"What are my chances" =/= "Where should I apply"

hth

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:44 am

CanadianWolf wrote:You need a real LSAT score before deciding where to apply in your any situation.

badnewsbears

Postby badnewsbears » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:02 am

Grizz wrote:"What are my chances" =/= "Where should I apply"

hth

fair.

badnewsbears

Postby badnewsbears » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:05 am

HeavenWood wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:You need a real LSAT score before deciding where to apply in your any situation.

should have figured this response. I'm sure you know its all just a stressful and exciting time. Can't help but have your mind get ahead of itself sometimes.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:03 pm

badnewsbears wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

should have figured this response. I'm sure you know its all just a stressful and exciting time. Can't help but have your mind get ahead of itself sometimes.

Of course, but you could surprise yourself on test day. Had I waited a fricking week to apply to schools, I could have nixed about half of them from my list and saved a shit-ton of $$$.

badnewsbears

Postby badnewsbears » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:15 pm

for the record, underachieved on the lsat... 162=retake in decemeber, maybe apply next cycle?

Return to “What are my chances?”