Embarrassing

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
prezidentv8

Re: Embarrassing

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm going to join the echo chamber here and emphasize the importance of the LSAT, not just for where you get in but also for the purpose of not handicapping yourself with massive debts when you get out. I don't care if you have to take a year to study and get that score up, do it if you really want to continue on to law school. A 150 = debt + awful odds of finding any legal work.

asunshinee

Postby asunshinee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 am

wccobb wrote:Im from Wilcox County, AL. Probably top ten poorest counties. I don't want to make money, I want to help rural communities in the black belt and small farmers in the area. If I took the LSAT again in December and made a 155 would it make any significant difference?

Don't listen to people on here. If you know what you want to do, then do it. If you willingly accept the idea that you will make close to no money, then good for you. People on this site are obsessed with financial gain and the status that being a lawyer will give them.
Wilhelm Ropke has said that "People lose sight of everything that goes to make up human happiness apart from money income and its transformation into goods.. Their existence is empty, and they try to fill this emptiness somehow."

I'm not going to say I'm not one of those people, but it's nice to see someone who doesn't give a shit about the money and just wants to help people.

I'll probably get shit for this, but whatever.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Stanford graduates are in a much better position to help people than Samford grads.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:58 pm

asunshinee wrote:
wccobb wrote:Im from Wilcox County, AL. Probably top ten poorest counties. I don't want to make money, I want to help rural communities in the black belt and small farmers in the area. If I took the LSAT again in December and made a 155 would it make any significant difference?

Don't listen to people on here. If you know what you want to do, then do it. If you willingly accept the idea that you will make close to no money, then good for you. People on this site are obsessed with financial gain and the status that being a lawyer will give them.
Wilhelm Ropke has said that "People lose sight of everything that goes to make up human happiness apart from money income and its transformation into goods.. Their existence is empty, and they try to fill this emptiness somehow."

I'm not going to say I'm not one of those people, but it's nice to see someone who doesn't give a shit about the money and just wants to help people.

I actually agree with this. Good post.

Now to finally answer the original poster...what schools can you get into? If your GPA was higher, then you can live with a 150 LSAT. I suggest you apply part-time to 3T or even 2T law schools and have a very polished personal statement with good LORs. If you want to go full-time, your options are incredibly limited. You're looking at 4Ts like Southern, Florida Coastal, Cooley, etc. Not exactly what you call prestigious schools.

Or you can take the LSAT again.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 pm

asunshinee wrote:

There are 45,000 grads for about 25,000 entry level jobs. Of those 25,000, not all of them are permanent or full-time.

I didn't realize trying to maximize your chances at a job that will allow you to pay back law school debt was a manifestation of elitism.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Stanford graduates are in a much better position to help people than Samford grads.

Stole the words out of my mouth.

Bill Gates helps many more people than Mother Teresa ever did. Of course Mother Teresa is a saint, but making money and helping people are definitely not mutually exclusive.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:You're not gonna like what you hear. Law school isn't for you (or isn't worth it) unless you can improve your LSAT and possibly attract some $cholly $$

asunshinee

Postby asunshinee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Grizz wrote:
asunshinee wrote:

There are 45,000 grads for about 25,000 entry level jobs. Of those 25,000, not all of them are permanent or full-time.

I didn't realize trying to maximize your chances at a job that will allow you to pay back law school debt was a manifestation of elitism.

He stated earlier that his family is paying for his law school, so I think it would be safe to assume he will have little to no debt from law school. This is why I recommended that he should do what will make him happy, regardless of income (since he's clearly aware that it will be low and he has no debt to pay back).

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Even if that income is $0?

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Redzo wrote:Go to Samford and hope that people will think you said "Stanford."

LOL

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:42 pm

wccobb wrote:2.8/150

Will go anywhere. Looking at Cumberland(Samford), Mercer, West Virginia, John Marshall-Chicago, Memphis, Jones(Faulkner), Suffolk, and Mississippi. What are my chances for any, and does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

these schools are not particularly demanding in admissions, i think u have a shot of getting in, send apps to all of them, then decide where u would go after they respond

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm

paratactical wrote:Even if that income is $0?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:00 pm

asunshinee wrote:

The problem is, the debt load from those schools won't allow you to do what you want to do.

asunshinee

Postby asunshinee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Grizz wrote:

The guy clearly states that he is aware of that. I am just saying that as long as he knows that, he shouldn't allow people to get under his skin.

- He knows he will make no money.
- He is okay with that.
- He will have no debt.
- What else is there to say?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:07 pm

asunshinee wrote:
Grizz wrote:

The guy clearly states that he is aware of that. I am just saying that as long as he knows that, he shouldn't allow people to get under his skin.

- He is okay with that.
- He will have no debt.

Family paying is not the same as going for $0. Their is a real economic loss to his family for him going to LS...

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:11 pm

blowhard wrote:
asunshinee wrote:
Grizz wrote:

- He is okay with that.
- He will have no debt.

Family paying is not the same as going for $0. Their is a real economic loss to his family for him going to LS...

Let him worry about that.

Maybe his mind will change once he's in law school. My history professor had a JD from Columbia but he didn't want to pursue the law profession. So who knows what this guy wants to do with his JD.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

asunshinee wrote:
Grizz wrote:

- He is okay with that.
- He will have no debt.

I believe most people on here are trying to bring to light the very real possibility that the OP won't be any closer to helping anyone after graduating from one of these schools than he is now. Really, if the OP is serious about helping others and it must be through law, then his best option is to retake the LSAT and get into the best school possible (since $$$ is not a factor) in order to have the best chance at landing a job.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
Let him worry about that.

Maybe his mind will change once he's in law school. My history professor had a JD from Columbia but he didn't want to pursue the law profession. So who knows what this guy wants to do with his JD.

That doesn't mean he should waste tuition. He should take the time and really learn about the profession and what it entails. I find it hard to believe ANYONE with a 150 has properly prepared to apply to law school. (Either with prep or research...because a little research would tell you how important some prep is.)

Those schools may be right for some people...but someone scoring a 150 isn't ready.

asunshinee

Postby asunshinee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:21 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:
asunshinee wrote:
Grizz wrote:

- He is okay with that.
- He will have no debt.

I believe most people on here are trying to bring to light the very real possibility that the OP won't be any closer to helping anyone after graduating from one of these schools than he is now. Really, if the OP is serious about helping others and it must be through law, then his best option is to retake the LSAT and get into the best school possible (since $$$ is not a factor) in order to have the best chance at landing a job.

Thank you for putting that nicely. I understand that. I just truly believe that a lot of people on here, when they post things like this, are just looking for reassurance in the course that they're taking. I understand our responses aren't meant to "baby" anyone. Sometimes people just need support in their choices, whether we think they're stupid/pointless or not.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:27 pm

asunshinee wrote:
Grizz wrote:
asunshinee wrote:

He stated earlier that his family is paying for his law school, so I think it would be safe to assume he will have little to no debt from law school. This is why I recommended that he should do what will make him happy, regardless of income (since he's clearly aware that it will be low and he has no debt to pay back).

I know you mean well, but this is just awful advice. Sure his family can pay for law school, but if he wants to help people the first thing he can do is limit the burden on himself and his family by trying to get a score good enough for scholarships. No one is attacking his career plans, its the admissions plans. I find it very admirable that he wants to help people, but I think we are all trying to help him make the best decision. He cannot directly control his career options or things like that, its just the market, but he can influence his admissions options and improve his chances on a career. Most people on here say that anyone with the proper amount of studying can break 160. I don't know if this is true, but they can do much better than 150. OP, your gpa is working against you. Sure you can go to law school somewhere right now, but I think you will be in a much better position to help people if you go to a good school with a good scholarship so that more positions are available to you, and you are not saddled with an amount of debt that prevents you from taking a low paying position that you might want. You can improve your lsat score, believe me. Please, please study hard and don't sell yourself short. I applaud your ambitions, but please do the best you can on the lsat and then make a decision, go to a school you want to go to, not one you have to go to. Good luck!!

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:39 pm

mattviphky wrote:I know you mean well, but this is just awful advice. Sure his family can pay for law school, but if he wants to help people the first thing he can do is limit the burden on himself and his family by trying to get a score good enough for scholarships. No one is attacking his career plans, its the admissions plans. I find it very admirable that he wants to help people, but I think we are all trying to help him make the best decision. He cannot directly control his career options or things like that, its just the market, but he can influence his admissions options and improve his chances on a career. Most people on here say that anyone with the proper amount of studying can break 160. I don't know if this is true, but they can do much better than 150. OP, your gpa is working against you. Sure you can go to law school somewhere right now, but I think you will be in a much better position to help people if you go to a good school with a good scholarship so that more positions are available to you, and you are not saddled with an amount of debt that prevents you from taking a low paying position that you might want. You can improve your lsat score, believe me. Please, please study hard and don't sell yourself short. I applaud your ambitions, but please do the best you can on the lsat and then make a decision, go to a school you want to go to, not one you have to go to. Good luck!!

This is my point... I see nothing wrong with his plans, those schools, or family paying. But even mediocre preparation will jump that LSAT drastically and have a major impact.

asunshinee

Postby asunshinee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:43 pm

I know you mean well, but this is just awful advice. Sure his family can pay for law school, but if he wants to help people the first thing he can do is limit the burden on himself and his family by trying to get a score good enough for scholarships. No one is attacking his career plans, its the admissions plans. I find it very admirable that he wants to help people, but I think we are all trying to help him make the best decision. He cannot directly control his career options or things like that, its just the market, but he can influence his admissions options and improve his chances on a career. Most people on here say that anyone with the proper amount of studying can break 160. I don't know if this is true, but they can do much better than 150. OP, your gpa is working against you. Sure you can go to law school somewhere right now, but I think you will be in a much better position to help people if you go to a good school with a good scholarship so that more positions are available to you, and you are not saddled with an amount of debt that prevents you from taking a low paying position that you might want. You can improve your lsat score, believe me. Please, please study hard and don't sell yourself short. I applaud your ambitions, but please do the best you can on the lsat and then make a decision, go to a school you want to go to, not one you have to go to. Good luck!!

Some people do it more nicely than others. I just get annoyed because everyone can be so condescending. He's looking for honest advice, not asking to be put down over his score. I think a lot of people blur the two and it's not necessary.

I appreciate you saying it in a nice way. I just think that some people throw their manners out the window because they are behind a computer.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:22 pm

How will a law degree allow you to "help" them?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:24 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

How will a law degree allow you to "help" them?

Also this.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:26 pm

asunshinee wrote:Thank you for putting that nicely. I understand that. I just truly believe that a lot of people on here, when they post things like this, are just looking for reassurance in the course that they're taking. I understand our responses aren't meant to "baby" anyone. Sometimes people just need support in their choices, whether we think they're stupid/pointless or not.

Want support? Go talk to your buddies. Post on TLS asking for advice? Don't be surprise when people give it to you.

Return to “What are my chances?”