Embarrassing Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wccobb

New

Embarrassing

Post by wccobb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:01 pm

2.8/150

Will go anywhere. Looking at Cumberland(Samford), Mercer, West Virginia, John Marshall-Chicago, Memphis, Jones(Faulkner), Suffolk, and Mississippi. What are my chances for any, and does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

Redzo

Bronze

Re: Embarrassing

Post by Redzo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Go to Samford and hope that people will think you said "Stanford."

wccobb

New

Post by wccobb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:55 pm

yea thank you. almost good advice

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Most people on this board are going to tell you not to go to law school. Do you have a job lined up for post-grad?

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:00 pm

You need to retake. Seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Ginj wrote:Most people on this board are going to tell you not to go to law school. Do you have a job lined up for post-grad?
Or this.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:01 pm

can you list your schools again brother?

because i only see debt, unemployment, and pwned listed in your original post.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:02 pm

You're not gonna like what you hear. Law school isn't for you (or isn't worth it) unless you can improve your LSAT and possibly attract some $cholly $$

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Why do you want to go to law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:You're not gonna like what you hear. Law school isn't for you (or isn't worth it) unless you can improve your LSAT and possibly attract some $cholly $$

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:You're not gonna like what you hear. Law school isn't for you (or isn't worth it) unless you can improve your LSAT and possibly attract some $cholly $$

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Redzo wrote:Go to Samford and hope that people will think you said "Stanford."

TITCR

wccobb

New

Post by wccobb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Im from Wilcox County, AL. Probably top ten poorest counties. I don't want to make money, I want to help rural communities in the black belt and small farmers in the area. If I took the LSAT again in December and made a 155 would it make any significant difference?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:17 pm

wccobb wrote:Im from Wilcox County, AL. Probably top ten poorest counties. I don't want to make money, I want to help rural communities in the black belt and small farmers in the area. If I took the LSAT again in December and made a 155 would it make any significant difference?
You're gonna want enough money tonpay off your loans, which will be significant. Assuming you can even find work. Especially of that variety.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:18 pm

there are other ways to help people besides being a lawyer or a doctor... just saying.

wccobb

New

Post by wccobb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:19 pm

My family has agreed to pay for my education. Is there any law school in America that I could get into in order to get my J.D. are there any options with my score.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:20 pm

wccobb wrote:Im from Wilcox County, AL. Probably top ten poorest counties. I don't want to make money, I want to help rural communities in the black belt and small farmers in the area. If I took the LSAT again in December and made a 155 would it make any significant difference?
This is noble and all, but you will really just be screwing yourself by doing this unless you can get a fatty scholly. You need a retake bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:25 pm

If you're set on working in the South, try Mississippi College. Just know you're in for an uphill climb after graduation.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Ginj wrote:If you're set on working in the South, try Mississippi College. Just know you're in for an uphill climb after graduation.
As in you may never get a legal job.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:29 pm

wccobb wrote:My family has agreed to pay for my education. Is there any law school in America that I could get into in order to get my J.D. are there any options with my score.
The problem is that a JD isn't a ticket to law jobs. If you get into a law school, it will be one that provides very poor odds of ever getting a law job.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:31 pm

If you put your numbers into Law School Predictor (unranked), you get 'considers' and 'weak considers' at several schools. The best strategy if you are determined to go to law school would be to emphasize your dedication to the region and go somewhere close that has a strong local alumni base.

But really, there are probably other options besides law school. Even a job as a community advocate or going into a masters program could help you achieve your goals without all the risk of debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wccobb

New

Post by wccobb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Thank you all for the good advice. Ill plan on taking it again.

Montevillian

Bronze

Post by Montevillian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Hey, I'm from around your area. If you can actually get into Cumberland and graduate without too much debt (that tuition is ridiculous there, I tried to go for undergrad but the cost was just too much), it's actually not as bad as people would think. The general consensus around here is that anything below T1 is crap, which is normally pretty true, but Cumberland graduates do really well as long as they stay in Alabama. You're not going to break 100k a year anytime soon (maybe not at all), but the cost of living around here is so little, as you know, that's not too big of a deal. You can find legal jobs with a Cumberland J.D. in Alabama, not particularly bad ones, either. If the cost there is just too much, Birmingham School of Law graduates find employment in District Attorney's offices and local firms pretty regularly, but I would recommend getting some work experience first because most people who get jobs out of BSoL are returning students who already have connections. The degree from there is enough to get you employed, but not unless it's coupled with connections. I wouldn't recommend Jones, I haven't seen much employment coming out of there yet, I know it's because they're just getting accredited, but even in Alabama they have a terrible reputation.
Also, just because this is TLS, retake, for heaven's sake. If you can find a way into UA's law school (I know it's a reach with that GPA), the cost is a fraction of Cumberland's and you won't be stuck in Alabama for the rest of your life with a degree from there. Good luck!

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am

Definitely retake the LSAT. If you can improve by 5-10 points, it will definitely make a big difference (especially at those schools). Samford is probably your best bet for that region, but Mercer is a decent school if you can get in. Of course, with the schools you're looking at, you're really going to be stuck where you graduate, so the closer to home the better.

Those aren't "bad" law schools, they're just not the best ones (remember when everyone said you'll never get a job if you don't go to a top undergrad? Not particularly true...). Going to a Tier 3 or 4 school is definitely going to make it harder starting out, but just like in any profession, experience goes a long way. Study to retake the LSAT, apply to all those schools, work your butt off, and everything will work out fine. Good luck.

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Read Piithypike's lsat guide, buy the books or download them, and do the work or sign up for Dave Hall's velocitylsat since he has great posts and FAQs. Seriously, there's no reason you can score 160+ if you put in the time and effort. Maybe you'll have to work really, really hard for that score, but you can get it. When that happens, you'll have a MUCH better shot at helping out your area in the legal profession. It's NOT a guarantee, but it's better than what you'd be looking at now. Unfortunately, it's not like the 40s, 50s, 60s where you could be a lawyer from a small school in a small town and make a substantial difference. It was tough then, it's harder now. It sucks, but it's the truth. Get the education you need in order to do what you want and do the work to get there. You'll be happier that you did.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”